Report: Hank Brown to start Saturday

CR

Freeze is gonna do the swapping QB’s in and out again is he….? 

Just now, WFE12 said:

It would surprise me greatly if it looks like last year, although I do think they both play.

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

Why bring in Hank to just hand the ball off?  I think we’ll be flinging it around like A&M. 

See OL talent. Unless we think, we can protect him.

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

It would surprise me greatly if it looks like last year, although I do think they both play.

I could see him putting in Thorne in red zone situations for his mobility 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/sources-hank-brown-slated-to-start-for-auburn-against-new-mexico/

I'm surprised to be honest.  I thought Thorne would start on a short leash (2 series, maybe 3 tops) and get yanked if he didn't produce.

So I guess Freeze isn't stubborn. The next rumor can be the GOOD OLE BOYS are making the decisions.

Yeah.  And if you're going to give Hank his first start, you'd rather it be vs New Mexico than an SEC opponent.

But the SEC opponent will now have a game film on his tendencies. 

54 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hopefully he lights it up so he at least has a shot against OU. I do think Freeze would look for any chance to put Thorne back out there 

I think he would look for any chance to win the ball game. 

45 minutes ago, Viper said:

Hard not to produce against the worst defense in the FBS. 

Like v AL A&M, Thorne shredding New Mexico won’t prove anything.

It proves he didn't struggle which would be strong. I doubt he will shred NM without making some glaring mistakes like throwing into double coverage. 

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

So I guess Freeze isn't stubborn. The next rumor can be the GOOD OLE BOYS are making the decisions.

But the SEC opponent will now have a game film on his tendencies. 

Eh.  I'm not sure NM is good enough on defense to test his tendencies and give people much of anything.  But even if they do, I think the upside of not making his first start be Arkansas outweigh that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I heard he was benching every QB and going with the single wing. 

• Haha 1

thorne said he could not afford to start another game and lose and have topay MORE venmo money..............grins

Run the damn ball! Pass off of it. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Good point.  I guess I just didn't think Freeze had it in him to pull the trigger now.

I didn’t either. But the thought did cross my mind that if he made this move, it could also be used as a recruiting tool to land Knight i.e. Freshmen can get their shots too.

At the same token, if Brown kills it and never relinquishes the starting position this season, that could redirect Knight to Notre Dame.

19 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

It proves he didn't struggle which would be strong. I doubt he will shred NM without making some glaring mistakes like throwing into double coverage. 

Go watch the Arizona/New Mexico highlights, specifically McMillan, who put up 300+ receiving yards. NM doesn’t do double coverage, much less single coverage. 

Edited by Viper

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Hard not to produce against the worst defense in the FBS. 

Like v AL A&M, Thorne shredding New Mexico won’t prove anything.

It will get Hank reps.. and get experience. Maybe help his confidence. But as far as us finding out if Hank is better, I’m with you.. I don’t see that answered in this game 

• Like 2

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/sources-hank-brown-slated-to-start-for-auburn-against-new-mexico/

I'm surprised to be honest.  I thought Thorne would start on a short leash (2 series, maybe 3 tops) and get yanked if he didn't produce.

I imagine people in power helped freeze in his game preparation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

It will get Hank reps.. and get experience. Maybe help his confidence. But as far as us finding out if Hank is better, I’m with you.. I don’t see that answered in this game 

All true, but my point is Thorne will not show us anything new by throwing for 400 yards against the worst defense in the FBS.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

I didn’t either. But the thought did cross my mind that if he made this move, it could also be used as a recruiting tool to land Knight i.e. Freshmen can get their shots too.

At the same token, if Brown kills it and never relinquishes the starting position this season, that could redirect Knight to Notre Dame.

Not the worst problem to have though.  "Our RS Freshman QB is too awesome."

• Thanks 1

With Hank starting, I can't see Thorne taking a single snap unless Hank falters.  I would think the idea at this point is to bring Hank along as fast as possible, and that won't happen with Thorne taking snaps.

Edited by WillMunny

May want a chance to see Hank before the schedule toughens.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

May want a chance to see Hank before the schedule toughens.

This makes sense. He’s seen the field in 2 mop up games, where each game was out of hand. Let’s see how he responds from the get go when it’s 0-0. If he looks flustered against this defense, I would say we are screwed this year altogether. Also, let’s see some play calling that puts the O in chances to succeed. You don’t have to hit a home run every drive. Seven and eight yard routes often turn into huge gains with top caliber athletes. HB just needs to be efficient and not turn the ball over. Is he able to scramble any? I don’t know, just asking. 

• Like 1