Debate thread (Sept. 10)

SLAG-91

3 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I never said the dogs and cats was true. Trump did mention other animals as well, they tried to make him look crazy for mentioning anything about it all. Take the dogs and cats away and it is still a problem f we have immigrants hunting for animals in city parks and rummaging through trash. Which was ultimately the point. 

This is not going to stick to him as much as you want it to. 

You are definitely backpedaling. You strongly suggested the cats and dogs thing could be true. 

I doubt it sticks to him either. That’s not the point. 

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Let's back up for a second because you're kinda changing your argument.  cbo, I and others are responding to this:

Got to talk about the cat in the room...........the Haitians eating cats......I agree that on the surface it looks nuts and the moderators tried like hell to make him look stupid. But, has anyone done their research on this? There is something obviously going on there. Images of people getting ducks out of the parks for food or whatever. I talked to a colleague who lives up that way this morning and he said, yes there seems to be this stuff happening. He has not seen it personally with dogs and cats, but the going through trash and hunting for food in the public parks is a real thing. In his opinion the immigrants were just dumped there and left to survive, and local officials are doing what they can to not draw attention to it.  I think this is another case of the true situation will come to light. 

The objections here aren't whether a lot of idiots exist that will give Trump a pass on saying this kind of nonsense.  It's you giving the story credence in the first place.

Let me clarify....

People will give him the benefit of the doubt based on their knowledge of how the media tries to always make him look worse than he is and that he was right on some things he was laughed at in the past. This whole claim he made with ring loud for some, but many will shrug it off. 

That's all. 

My bringing up the other stuff about what is going on is not to defend him or his statements. Go back and look at my joke when he said it. My point is based on what I know from somebody credible that I know personally that has no reason or history to lie about this tells me that there are uncomfortable things going on there. If it was any other person saying what he said I would think it was hyperbole, but I think he really believes the dog and cats are being eaten, that's the crazy part. 

7 minutes ago, cbo said:

You are definitely backpedaling. You strongly suggested the cats and dogs thing could be true. 

I doubt it sticks to him either. That’s not the point. 

Please quote me where you think I strongly suggested the dog and cats thing.

The entire point is this will not stick to him. 

Edited by wdefromtx

19 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Well, they aren't drummed out and history is the greatest predictor of future results. 

Funny how so many get upset when I say I think this debate did nothing to really move the needle and I predict he is going to win. 

Logic left in 2016.

No one is upset. Some are frustrated and exasperated at the feigned obtuseness being put forth to defend Trump’s craziness. 

Edited by Didba

1 minute ago, wdefromtx said:

Titan Tiger just did. 

Maybe I misunderstood you. I’ve made my point and you’ve made yours. 

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Titan Tiger just did. 

Maybe I misunderstood you. I’ve made my point and you’ve made yours. 

See my clarification to him. 

3 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

“Got to talk about the cat in the room...........the Haitians eating cats......I agree that on the surface it looks nuts and the moderators tried like hell to make him look stupid. But, has anyone done their research on this? There is something obviously going on there.”

this 100% reads like you  are implying that “there is something going on there” with “the Haitians eating cats.”

11 minutes ago, Didba said:

“Got to talk about the cat in the room...........the Haitians eating cats......I agree that on the surface it looks nuts and the moderators tried like hell to make him look stupid. But, has anyone done their research on this? There is something obviously going on there.”

this 100% reads like you  are implying that “there is something going on there” with “the Haitians eating cats.”

Read further and you will see I am referring to the people hunting ducks in the parks and rummaging through trash...........sounds like something's there that needs to be addressed. 

Read even more and you see I even I reiterate I am talking about the hunting in parks and trash not cats and dogs. 

Edited by wdefromtx

36 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Well, they aren't drummed out and history is the greatest predictor of future results. 

Funny how so many get upset when I say I think this debate did nothing to really move the needle and I predict he is going to win. 

Logic left in 2016.

Harris is gonna win. This was trump’s small chance to stop Harris’s momentum at the debate yesterday and trump pretty much shredded the opportunity he needed. I don’t think it’s gonna change the polls too much but as @Didbamentioned, the energy with Harris is undeniable. Young women voters are going to flock to her. Harris looked presidential while trump looked dead in the water.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

If only 16 year-olds could vote. ;D

You’d like that, wouldn’t you? 

13 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The best part of it was when they hit back at him and said “the city manager has said that no pets have been eaten” and Trump kept arguing 😂😂

But (someone) on TV said so!  :laugh:

Digesting last night it’s clear that Trump was completely unprepared, easily baited into reacting and looking silly, and couldn’t recognize that this wasn’t just another maga rally where his persona and vague rants are sufficient. Put simply - he looked way in over his head.

I will continue to believe that the country is ideologically center (socially) right (fiscally). Polling bears that out. The fact that Harris is even in play is purely on maga for kidnapping the party and zealously following this reality show lightweight. 

https://news.gallup.com/poll/388988/political-ideology-steady-conservatives-moderates-tie.aspx

33 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

People will give him the benefit of the doubt based on their knowledge of how the media tries to always make him look worse than he is and that he was right on some things he was laughed at in the past. 

How does the media try to make him look worse than he is?

8 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

By reporting on what he says instead of what MAGA's "know" he probably meant to say.

A fair and unbiased media would take what Trump actually says and then twist it around to try and explain it in another way that makes sense or doesn't sound so batshit crazy. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hide yo dogs.  Hide yo cats.  Haitians are comin for em.

Edited by abw0004
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, CoffeeTiger said:

By reporting on what he actually says instead of what MAGA's "know" he clearly meant to say.

A fair and unbiased media would take what Trump actually says and then twist it around to try and explain it in another way that makes sense or doesn't sound so batshit crazy. 

I don't understand how someone can sit there and listen to the man and then conclude the media always tries to make him look worse. He has demonstrated repeatedly that there is no depth he won't sink to. It was on full display last night - that is who the man is.

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

At this point most people know that he is on the crazy side, but people are also aware that the media tries to do everything possible to make him look worse. People will tolerate crazy, but not bat-s*** crazy and one has to figure out where on that spectrum he is and is it worse than Harris. 

That's just BS. 

The "media" has kept Trump politically viable by ignoring or minimizing all the crazy s*** and lies he says or simply referring to it in the abstract instead of quoting it verbatim. There's been a double standard applied to Trump from the very beginning. No Democratic candidate would survive behaving like Trump.

25 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

The fact that you ask this question says a lot. But to answer your question just to name a couple of instances I am sure you will deny:

His quote at Charlottesville, has been debunked yet they continuously promote that. 

When they tried to call him a white supremacist for going to Howell, Michigan when Harris and Biden have also visited that city. 

If he is truly racist, present actual proof and leave it at that. Pretty simple. Not made-up stuff to fit a narrative.

Trying to claim that Harris only lied once last night. Regardless of how many he told, they tried to make her look better. 

Agree disagree with Trump, most people are realizing just how bad the media has gotten. Which will play into how much people hold things against him. 

Each time they double down on him he somehow comes out ahead. It's pretty crazy to think about it. 

Edited by wdefromtx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

“Woman— strong? Can’t see it.” 😉

If you think she was strong fine.  I will not think less of you. Just don’t get what you mean.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

Nothing "sticks" to him, which is why this is still a tight race.  His supporters don't care how crazy he is.

18 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

I don't understand how someone can sit there and listen to the man and then conclude the media always tries to make him look worse. He has demonstrated repeatedly that there is no depth he won't sink to. It was on full display last night - that is who the man is.

It is pretty easy, when he gives them enough to work with on his own and they still have to make up crap.........Why not just stick with the low hanging fruit? 

This is going to backfire with some people. 

He's a known quantity and yet half the voting population will vote for him. 

3 hours ago, Didba said:

Brother, when she hammered on abortion rights and talked about the couple in the parking lot with a miscarriage… 

that was extremely strong and powerful for women everywhere.  

She was dramatic I suppose. Haven’t heard any women mentioning anything about her being “strong and powerful”. In the real world I never hear females insist they don’t have control over their bodies.

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

If you think she was strong fine.  I will not think less of you. Just don’t get what you mean.

Good grief Salty. 

Harris walked over to Trump - who is a head taller - and shook his hand.  She came across as confident, knowledgeable, assertive and a persuasive speaker.  It reflected her experience as a prosecutor and a district attorney.  In other words - especially given the context of our male dominated politics and facing a known misogynist - she came across as a "strong" woman.

That you are apparently blind to this is your problem.  And the idea you wouldn't "think less of anyone" for seeing it, is a rather bizarre thing to say.

• Like 1