Debate thread (Sept. 10)

SLAG-91

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

There are at least as many similarities as differences. 

And I wasn't referring specifically to Hitler.  I was referring to how the Nazis were able to amass political support in arguably the most advanced country in Europe, and thus the world.

Yeah, pretty crazy how ideology and political parties are still able to get a stranglehold and brainwash people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wdefromtx said:

Yeah, pretty crazy how ideology and political parties are still able to get a stranglehold and brainwash people. 

Easier than ever, thanks to technology and 24/7 exposure to it.

Edited by homersapien

4 hours ago, economystupid said:

But wait I saw Melissa Carone and Rudy give that oh-so-persuasive presentation in Michigan.....didn't you see that?

I couldn't tell if it was an SNL skit or the real thing for the longest time.  LOL

16 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

It was an utter rout - mostly because he was committing seppuku on stage saying idiotic s***, taking the bait repeatedly over unimportant stuff and repeating crazy rumors (Haitians eating our cats!)

He acted like the overgrown child he is and managed to make her of all people look presidential.

Good grief.

He was his normal self. Horrible orator/debator. Expected by those paying attention.

She lied more than expected and lacked character for the position. Again, expected by those paying attention.

Saddens me this is the choice. This is all we have? The best we have? B team anyone?

47 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

At this point only about 2-3%  of the undecideds in 5 or so states matters. Far less than a million. Everyone else’s opinion is interesting but irrelevant.

And perhaps folks that stay at home.

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

He was his normal self. Horrible orator/debator. Expected by those paying attention.

He was worse than normal.  He was worse than he was against Biden.  He had the good sense to shut up then.  This time he indulged all of his worst ego-driven impulses.  It was like watching a cat chase a laser pointer.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Easier than ever, thanks to technology and 24/7 exposure to it.

Witness it every day on here.......

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, homersapien said:

It takes a lot of chutzpah to use the word "deniers" in that context. :rolleyes:

How so? I never denied the results. 

I do see people on this forum deny and outright lie to support their side. Both sides. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

Half the country feels the same way but in the opposite direction. 

The only way to honestly watch that debate and come away thinking that Trump looked good is to pre determine that outcome and refuse to budge.  My mother turned it off and went to bed because she "could not listen to that fake man lie one more time."  My dad likes Trump and all he could say this morning was " I don't like either of them at this point."

They are both Georgia voters.  My mother is the church twice a week type and has never liked Trump because of his name calling, having a trophy wife and his actions after the last election that he lost.  I'm not convinced my father will vote for a woman president, regardless of what he says.  They are salt of the earth type people.  They will soon celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary.  Growing up there was no alcohol in the house and absolutely no bad language.  They voted Reagan, both Bush, Clinton (Bill) and McCain before going rogue and voting for Obama for a 2nd term over Romney.  She voted for Hillary and he for Trump in 2016.  I believe both voted for Biden in 2020.  I say all that to point out that these are the type voters that will decide the race in Georgia.  Last night hurt Trump with these people.  I child could watch that debate and know who the lunatic was.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He was worse than normal.  He was worse than he was against Biden.  He had the good sense to shut up then.  This time he indulged all of his worst ego-driven impulses.  It was like watching a cat chase a laser pointer.

Perfect analogy!

7 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

She lied more than expected and lacked character for the position. Again, expected by those paying attention.

Saddens me this is the choice. This is all we have? The best we have? B team anyone?

She lied more than expected and what he did was just normal Trump?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Meh, I thought he was his normal self. Of course, I didn't like him against Biden either. Whatever. 

6 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Pretty much. You disagree? Sad regardless.

• Facepalm 1

Just now, AU9377 said:

The only way to honestly watch that debate and come away thinking that Trump looked good is to pre determine that outcome and refuse to budge.  My mother turned it off and went to bed because she "could not listen to that fake man lie one more time."  My dad likes Trump and all he could say this morning was " I don't like either of them at this point."

They are both Georgia voters.  My mother is the church twice a week type and has never liked Trump because of his name calling, having a trophy wife and his actions after the last election that he lost.  I'm not convinced my father will vote for a woman president, regardless of what he says.  They are salt of the earth type people.  They will soon celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary.  Growing up there was no alcohol in the house and absolutely no bad language.  They voted Reagan, both Bush, Clinton (Bill) and McCain before going rogue and voting for Obama for a 2nd term over Romney.  She voted for Hillary and he for Trump in 2016.  I believe both voted for Biden in 2020.  I say all that to point out that these are the type voters that will decide the race in Georgia.  Last night hurt Trump with these people.  I child could watch that debate and know who the lunatic was.

So, people that were not going to vote for him anyway probably won't vote for him? Seems consistent with what I said.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

They lied pretty much with what is consistent with their norms. 

But it only matters if it supports the side you want, that is what I have learned. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Pretty much. You disagree? Sad regardless.

They disagree, it is better to lie 10-15 times instead of 20-30 times as long as it supports your side. 

It is better to eat 4 cats instead of 10 cats is their way of thinking. 🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

They disagree, it is better to lie 10-15 times instead of 20-30 times as long as it supports your side. 

It is better to eat 4 cats instead of 10 cats is their way of thinking. 🤣

It was a clown show. To like the better clown is a thing I guess? Find glee where you may, but at its basic level, it was sad. The world is watching and taking note. 

46 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

What did she do or say that showed she lacked character for the position?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Didba said:

Is it ok to lie? Or is there a threshold of lying to be acceptable for the position?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Not sure if you're serious. I could write paragraphs. But for the sake of expediency, let's start with the lies. Unnacceptable. Surely you don't deny them? 

3 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Not sure if you're serious. I could write paragraphs. But for the sake of expediency, let's start with the lies. Unnacceptable. Surely you don't deny them? 

This is when they go to the Trump is worse playbook and ignore things. 

29 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Is it ok to lie? Or is there a threshold of lying to be acceptable for the position?

What did she lie about?

31 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

What are they? Legitimately asking  

I just watched the debate and have been at work all day. I didn’t notice any lies during the debate but haven’t been searching today. 

I did notice she failed to answer some of their questions. 

Edited by Didba

27 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

This is when they go to the Trump is worse playbook and ignore things. 

Nah, I’m legitimately asking. I’ve never been one to ignore things on here if shown proof from credible sources. 

Edited by Didba

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

What did she lie about?

Let's see.... she said she was for fracturing in 2020. When she is on video in 2020 saying she wants to ban fracturing. 

She was talking about some Trump abortion ban; I must be unaware of some abortion law banning it that he passed. Last I check SCOTUS sent things back to the states. 

Said Project 2025 was his platform. Lie....can go to the RNC site and the platform just like the DNC. 

Citing the debunked Charlottesville claim......Lie. 

"Donald Trump left us the worst unemployment since the Great Depression." Lie

Those are the ones that immediately stood out at the time. 

There are plenty more. But the fact that you have to ask says you aren't serious for real discussion. 

• Thanks 1