Thorne Opines - Post-Cal Debacle

RunInRed

14 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

I know my opinion doesn't count for much but I am done with both Thorne and Freeze. I don't want to hear anything about Auburn's talent level not being where it should be. I get that but Freeze needs to coach his butt off. Steve Spurrier would pull QBs in and out of a game so why can't Freeze do that? I am a few days away from my initial anger but Freeze is still Gus 2.0.

Like one person said "Auburn spent a boatload of money buying out 2 head coaches and staffs just to return to the same results as Gus but with a little better recruiting." 

Hugh Freeze hasn't changed one bit from what he has ALWAYS been. He was a 29 point favorite at kickoff to NMSU and loses by 21. AT HOME. He was a 16 point favorite at kickoff and loses to Cal. AT HOME. When we hired him, this was what the naysayers were complaining about. He has damn near been chalk to what those people said: he will be a great recruiter but blow the gimme' games while playing the big teams tight. He has done exactly that.

It truly is worse than Gus's days. We are losing these "upsets" at home now instead of on the road. Guy has made a living off of 2 wins over Alabama. 

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Because you are reading what you want to read. People have been on Freeze’s case with multiple threads regarding this. 

Something that blows my mind is in Freeze's monday presser, he said that he thought that the gameplan on the offensive side of the ball was actually good. He said "the playcalling by Nix, Kent Austin and the other guys was actually good play calls." Then he said we just didn't execute them and that Cal's defense didn't miss hardly any tackles. 

The whole playcalling thing is what got me. We talked on here awhile back when Freeze said that himself, Derrick Nix and Kent Austin would call plays this year depending where we were on the field and Kent Austin would also be the 3rd and long playcaller. But monday when Freeze said the offenses playcalling from Nix, Kent Austin and the other guys was good, I'm like WTH? Who are these "other guys?" Like, how many people are calling plays for this offense? It seems like too many cooks in the kitchen but maybe that's just me.

Before the season, Hank Brown had stated that if we start a drive backed up inside our own 20, Freeze will call those plays until we get in between the 20's and then Derrick Nix will call plays between the 20's except for 3rd and long and that will be Kent Austin. Then redzone will be Freeze or Austin. 🤷‍♂️ 

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

But monday when Freeze said the offenses playcalling from Nix, Kent Austin and the other guys was good, I'm like WTH? Who are these "other guys?" Like, how many people are calling plays for this offense? It seems like too many cooks in the kitchen but maybe that's just me.

I remember the thread on here specifically regarding this play calling idea.  I vividly remember thinking to myself and posting that it sounds like a total cluster ****.  

12 hours ago, cbo said:

I agree with everything you said here. 

I also have some sympathy for Thorne. The same as I would for anyone who is trying their best and just can't get it done. 

My ire is reserved for the HC that should have known after last season that Thorne is not the answer. Many of us knew. Why didn't he?

And even in the moment, make a game time decision when you can see he has completely melted down and isn't coming back from it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mims44 said:

How F'in funny would it be if he started off saying.

"1st off, this loss is on me. I know that. But, really we are just lacking talent with our coaches. I'm working hard tryna talk some very good coaches into coming to Auburn and expect the future to be bright!"

This is gold! 

• Like 1