Thorne Opines - Post-Cal Debacle

RunInRed

52 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

They are also personally criticizing Freeze. They also don't like how Freeze conducts his press conferences. They also boo'd Bo Nix. They also post here. 

Edited by Auburn93
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

They are also personally criticizing Freeze. They also don't like how Freeze conducts his press conferences. They also boo'd Bo Nix. They also post here. 

Good points.

I know my opinion doesn't count for much but I am done with both Thorne and Freeze. I don't want to hear anything about Auburn's talent level not being where it should be. I get that but Freeze needs to coach his butt off. Steve Spurrier would pull QBs in and out of a game so why can't Freeze do that? I am a few days away from my initial anger but Freeze is still Gus 2.0.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thorne seems like a great guy and seems to do better than the competition in practice. Every time I hear that, my first thought is TJ Finley, who was described in the same way and we know how that turned out. Actually, TJ seemed less prone to throw INTs than Thorne which is obviously a problem. 

I just don't understand why Freeze didn't dial up more easy short throws after that first INT on Saturday especially to the slot guys & TEs. And why are there not at least a few more non-RPO plays where Thorne can know exactly where the receivers should be (maybe this what happened on the 1st drive?). It seems like Thorne and WRs badly needs to build confidence running the RPO when playing a skilled defense or maybe it's just too much for them to handle. 

What do you guys really think was the primary issue out of the following options: 

1. Thorne played hero ball, made the reads himself, and executed his throws poorly 
  2. Freeze gave him the preferred read pre-snap and Thorne got tunnel vision and forced throws to that target 
  3. Cal played excellent coverage and the pass rush didn't give Thorne time to check down
  4. Thorne panics under pressure and prefers to run or force the ball to a pre-determined receiver
  5. Thorn is color blind and thought he was throwing it to his receivers all game
  6. Thorne and the receivers are overwhelmed by the RPO options  
  7. Thorne just needs better OL protection and the main problem is our OL
  8. Fill in your own answer

Because I think the answer matters and will be part of how Freeze & co. figure out how to unlock the passing game. 

I know different answers apply to different plays (no. 3 was definitely part of it on certain plays), but I am thinking mostly of the bad throws and INTs. I remember multiple plays where a receiver or TE was wide open and Thorne didn't even seem to look that way. 

The Venmo statement is one of those Quinton Terantino-like things that I felt guilty laughing at, then laughed at some more. Glad his foundation is family and faith - an Auburn man struggling only with his football skills. Keep your head up brother, good things are in your future one way or another.

26 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

Thorne seems like a great guy and seems to do better than the competition in practice. Every time I hear that, my first thought is TJ Finley, who was described in the same way and we know how that turned out. Actually, TJ seemed less prone to throw INTs than Thorne which is obviously a problem. 

I just don't understand why Freeze didn't dial up more easy short throws after that first INT on Saturday especially to the slot guys & TEs. And why are there not at least a few more non-RPO plays where Thorne can know exactly where the receivers should be (maybe this what happened on the 1st drive?). It seems like Thorne and WRs badly needs to build confidence running the RPO when playing a skilled defense or maybe it's just too much for them to handle. 

What do you guys really think was the primary issue out of the following options: 

1. Thorne played hero ball, made the reads himself, and executed his throws poorly 
  2. Freeze gave him the preferred read pre-snap and Thorne got tunnel vision and forced throws to that target 
  3. Cal played excellent coverage and the pass rush didn't give Thorne time to check down
  4. Thorne panics under pressure and prefers to run or force the ball to a pre-determined receiver
  5. Thorn is color blind and thought he was throwing it to his receivers all game

Because I think the answer matters and will be part of how Freeze & co. figure out how to unlock the passing game. 

I know different answers apply to different plays (no. 3 was definitely part of it on certain plays), but I am thinking mostly of the bad throws and INTs. I remember multiple plays where a receiver or TE was wide open and Thorne didn't even seem to look that way. 

I’m with your #4.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m with your #4.

Prefers to run so he DOESNT force into coverage……something happened while at MSU where he once made those plays and now is just fun shy. The yips, whatever you wanna call it but it’s the equivalent of Chuck Knoblauch going from ROTY to not being able to throw a baseball 20ft

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

There are times they wish they could respond in his defense, but they know that would only make it worse. 

"Most of the time I look at it and keep scrolling," Alston said. "There's nothing we can say. If anything, the things we say would probably backfire at us if we replied to comments. There's nothing we can do other than come to this facility and know your brothers have your back, and just go to work and get ready for the next opponent."

I know absoutely nothing about the X's and O's of football, but I would like to think I have some common sense.  And common sense would tell me that we have a mediocre QB and when this is what you have to work with you need to call plays that would help the QB succeed.  It doesn't look like the coaches are doing this.  As others have said, there are no slants, check downs, screen passes, outs, etc.  So who the hell knows...

• Like 1

I feel bad for PT, he should have never been put in this position based on how he played last year. You can say whatever you want but PT should not be our starting QB and doesn't deserve to be going through this. He had really bad games last year and I think MOST people felt like he wasn't the QB solution that we were looking for. Now maybe Freeze thought that the rebuilt OL wouldnt be so offensive and that PT would perform better if he had more time. The reality is our offensive line is a major work in progress, maybe it gets better as the games go by but not sure how much better. Freeze basically doubled down with PT, that was his decision to not go after a portal QB for whatever reason it was his decision. I really hope freeze does not continue to start him because I think it will be more of the same against better teams and PT really shouldn't be subjected to the blowback, for whatever reason he just isn't able to perform in the current situation.

Dude I get that they’re all teammates and stick with each other, but this dude is killing drives with his bone headed play and he’s costing people reps. Damari is a close friend and not trying to get drafted this year, but guys like KLS and Robert’s probably don’t find this crap as forgivable. Same with the upper classman linemen who are having to block for a QB who can sit in the pocket.

Edited by AuCivilEng1

I don't know maybe I'm too patient. It's a new year with improved players around this kid. It's the 2nd game facing a good defense that had a good gameplan. Thorne has good moments and horrible ones it seems consecutively. I know I would be rattled if my O line didn't hold off defenders long enough for me to make the necessary reads then make quick decisions. Sure he needed to respond quicker and may not have that ability in games. I believe we're gonna find out very soon what this kid is made of and what works for him to be successful...or what doesn't work.

I hope Thorne is able to overcome and dominate as needed and shrug off the negative words flying around at him. He needs support not bashing.

Life is tough. Will get tougher at the next level if you play like s***. That is what happens in high risk, high reward positions. It is what it is. If he were playing great, he would get all the praise , accolades and money to go with it. He accepted a nice fancy dancy truck didn’t he before he played one snap at Auburn? Now comes the end of the deal where he plays up to his potential. And no these are not kids. I heard someone describe them as such on another thread. These our young adults. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Life is tough. Will get tougher at the next level if you play like s***. That is what happens in high risk, high reward positions. It is what it is. If he were playing great, he would get all the praise , accolades and money to go with it. He accepted a nice fancy dancy truck didn’t he before he played one snap at Auburn? Now comes the end of the deal where he plays up to his potential. And no these are not kids. I heard someone describe them as such on another thread. These our young adults. 

And now making thousands upon thousands. Which, I think is OK, but that comes with a lot of scrutiny. 

Edited by GTNupe11
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

I bolded what I think is the case. Thorne could be sitting behind the Dallas Cowboys O-line during their 3-peat in the 90s, and the second he gets a whiff of pressure, he's gonna fold and launch the ball to whoever is open at that exact moment. 

The issue is that windows close fast as hell in the four major conferences. 

In the case of number 3, you either throw it away or just eat the sack. 

10 hours ago, RunInRed said:

How F'in funny would it be if he started off saying.

"1st off, this loss is on me. I know that. But, really we are just lacking talent with our coaches. I'm working hard tryna talk some very good coaches into coming to Auburn and expect the future to be bright!"

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree with everything you said here. 

I also have some sympathy for Thorne. The same as I would for anyone who is trying their best and just can't get it done. 

My ire is reserved for the HC that should have known after last season that Thorne is not the answer. Many of us knew. Why didn't he?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, cbo said:

I agree with everything you said here. 

I also have some sympathy for Thorne. The same as I would for anyone who is trying their best and just can't get it done. 

My ire is reserved for the HC that should have known after last season that Thorne is not the answer. Many of us knew. Why didn't he?

Yes ultimately it is not completely his fault. The fault goes directly to the feet of the head ball coach who watches all the game film “but, but, but he practices really well.” 

• Like 2

Okay, ya know, when Bo was the QB everyone was saying the same stuff. He's a crappy QB, every short throw is off, every long throw is garbage. Yep, we've heard it before.

What I'm not hearing now is the really crappy play calling and failure to make adjustments by our COACHES! It is their responsibility to put our offensive players, including our QB, in a position to succeed.

Yes, Thorne is a mediocre talent. But more importantly, it is on CHF and his assistants to create circumstances in which he and the team can successfully execute plays.

This is not all on Thorne. It is 99% on our coaches.

1 minute ago, AURex said:

What I'm not hearing now is the really crappy play calling and failure to make adjustments by our COACHES

Because you are reading what you want to read. People have been on Freeze’s case with multiple threads regarding this. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HAYinthemiddleoftheBARN said:

I don't know maybe I'm too patient. It's a new year with improved players around this kid. It's the 2nd game facing a good defense that had a good gameplan. Thorne has good moments and horrible ones it seems consecutively. I know I would be rattled if my O line didn't hold off defenders long enough for me to make the necessary reads then make quick decisions. Sure he needed to respond quicker and may not have that ability in games. I believe we're gonna find out very soon what this kid is made of and what works for him to be successful...or what doesn't work.

I hope Thorne is able to overcome and dominate as needed and shrug off the negative words flying around at him. He needs support not bashing.

He was bad last year and he's bad this year. There needs to be more pressure on Freeze to make a change because Thorne should have been on the bench at halftime. He's incapable of reading the field. And when he makes a mistake he gets shook. You can't have the guy who touches the ball the most be a turnover hazard.

• Like 1