Freeze Press Conference - Week 3

RunInRed

Can we just not play cheapass 5A HS teams to start the season out? Being 1-0 is lovely, but it sets me up for emotional failure when the “real” Auburn shows up. At this point, win or lose, I’d like to see where we at out the gate.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Can we just not play cheapass 5A HS teams to start the season out? Being 1-0 is lovely, but it sets me up for emotional failure when the “real” Auburn shows up. At this point, win or lose, I’d like to see where we at out the gate.

At this point if they let us count the win, I will take it.

49 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

I believe that will be the plan in the future with the power 5 schools, although the money does help those lowly schools athletic budget. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I believe that will be the plan in the future with the power 5 schools, although the money does help those lowly schools athletic budget. 

Yeah, I’m not saying “don’t support in-state schools,” just don’t have them be the first game. I really enjoyed the hype for AU’s openers vs USC, Ga Tech (F Reggie Ball lol), Louisville, Clemson, Oregon, etc. bc they were evenly matched teams that put on decent shows (for the most part).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Hugh Freeze agrees with you. Also, I actually went back and listened to the press conference, only because I'm a contrarian and got bored with all the folks take on it. I totally agreed with the ' Freeze threw the team under the bus until I listened to it. If I was Thorne,I would not expect anything but a short leash after that press conference. Also, he said we are not good enough yet to win a game when playing bad. We had 5 TOs and our D let the O on the opposing team dictate the game. In the first half. Their QB was almost perfect the first quarter. So what's to argue? 

On 9/10/2024 at 7:19 AM, autigeremt said:

It’s definitely aged him. The Auburn job can be very, very corrosive. Very few like it in the country. Two massive rivals directly at your doorstep, in a conference that is filled with mine fields. It’s a job that needs a fire breather on the sidelines but a salesman on the trail. 

Would like to think that at the very least he leaves a decent situation for the next guy—said guy won’t have to bust his arse repairing relationships with every HS coach in the region. I know the portal is a thing but good HS recruiting still pays dividends, most people think Elko walked into a good situation at A&M after all.

I would have course prefer Freeze to hit his stride and have a long successful coaching tenure here. But if not, I hope enough time passes for T-Rob to be HC ready, as I firmly believe he will be sometime in the next decade (he’s very clearly next in line after someone inevitably snatches up Schumann in December).

Edited by AUwent

18 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

It makes sense to play minnows in a game 1 glorified scrimmage IF you're breaking in a new O, new QB, new staff, etc etc. That's pretty well us every year the last decade. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AUwent said:

Would like to think that at the very least he leaves a decent situation for the next guy—said guy won’t have to bust his arse repairing relationships with every HS coach in the region. I know the portal is a thing but good HS recruiting still pays dividends, most people think Elko walked into a good situation at A&M after all.

I would have course prefer Freeze to hit his stride and have a long successful coaching tenure here. But if not, I hope enough time passes for T-Rob to be HC ready, as I firmly believe he will be sometime in the next decade (he’s very clearly next in line after someone inevitably snatches up Schumann in December).

I think with the NIL, transfer portal, and stress you will actually see more coaches going to the NFL, remaining as coordinators, or staying at lower tier schools that provide greater job security in the future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TripleDegreeTiger said:

I think with the NIL, transfer portal, and stress you will actually see more coaches going to the NFL, remaining as coordinators, or staying at lower tier schools that provide greater job security in the future.

I’m betting Freeze wishes he had stayed at Liberty. He was making $5Mill/year.