Freeze Press Conference - Week 3

RunInRed

It’s definitely aged him. The Auburn job can be very, very corrosive. Very few like it in the country. Two massive rivals directly at your doorstep, in a conference that is filled with mine fields. It’s a job that needs a fire breather on the sidelines but a salesman on the trail. 

How’s that locker room culture gonna be now with you sticking to your guns huh?

12 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

You outlined my thoughts better than I did.

I also really, really disliked him pointing out that other teams struggled last weekend. I don’t give two rips about how other teams did. Stop talking about stuff that has zero bearing on us getting better.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that either. 

The reality is that there are many teams out there - um, Cal - with less talent than Auburn, executing at a higher level than Auburn. That's coaching. That's gameplanning. That's understanding your strengths and not forcing the issue. 

I feel very strongly that Freeze forced the issue against Cal. We have a lot of shiny new toys that he worked his tail off to recruit to Auburn, and he has an offense in mind that those players can excel in. The issue is that we have an offensive line and a quarterback who weren't ready to execute the offensive game plan that we rolled out on Saturday. 

I thought the most revealing thing Freeze said in his presser was simply "I thought we were further along." Well, reality bit us in the ass. We aren't further along. We're seeing similar issues to last year in both pass protection and quarterback execution. 

Part of that is talent and roster. That's undeniable. Part of that is Peyton Thorne. The bigger part for this team is our head coach having a keener understanding of this roster's limitations are. 

I would imagine that it is frustrating for Freeze not to see Thorne carry his execution from practice to the game field, and that is somewhat out of Freeze's control. But, Thorne is Freeze's guy that he bet on in the spring, that he bet on again against Cal, and now he's going to have to decide whether he can continue to bet on him moving forward. Thorne is who we have, and that's on Freeze, so what now?

Stick with Thorne and hope you can ride it out long enough for Thorne's game execution to catch up to his practice execution? Move to Hank Brown and hope his game execution far exceeds what he's been doing in practice? Scale the offense back entirely? 

I don't think this team is good enough to roll out an offense that has reverted into total conservatism. I think we will need to continue and try to push the ball down the field in order to score enough points to win. Will we see more commitment to the run game moving forward? I'm certain, but I don't think Freeze can afford to scale back the offense entirely. I think he's going to be forced to ride or die with Thorne and the RPO game until we can't any longer, and then maybe we will see Hank Brown. 

Fun times ahead!

Edited by Barnacle
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

The reality is that there are many teams out there - um, Cal - with less talent than Auburn, executing at a higher level than Auburn. That's coaching. That's gameplanning. That's understanding your strengths and not forcing the issue. 

I feel very strongly that Freeze forced the issue against Cal. We have a lot of shiny new toys that he worked his tail off to recruit to Auburn, and he has an offense in mind that those players can excel in. The issue is that we have an offensive line and a quarterback who weren't ready to execute the offensive game plan that we rolled out on Saturday. 

I thought the most revealing thing Freeze said in his presser was simply "I thought we were further along." Well, reality bit us in the ass. We aren't further along. We're seeing similar issues to last year in both pass protection and quarterback execution. 

Part of that is talent and roster. That's undeniable. Part of that is Peyton Thorne. The bigger part for this team is our head coach having a keener understanding of this roster's limitations are. 

I would imagine that it is frustrating for Freeze not to see Thorne carry his execution from practice to the game field, and that is somewhat out of Freeze's control. But, Thorne is Freeze's guy that he bet on in the spring, that he bet on again against Cal, and now he's going to have to decide whether he can continue to bet on him moving forward. Thorne is who we have, and that's on Freeze, so what now?

Stick with Thorne and hope you can ride it out long enough for Thorne's game execution to catch up to his practice execution? Move to Hank Brown and hope his game execution far exceeds what he's been doing in practice? Scale the offense back entirely? 

I don't think this team is good enough to roll out an offense that has reverted into total conservatism. I think we will need to continue and try to push the ball down the field in order to score enough points to win. Will we see more commitment to the run game moving forward? I'm certain, but I don't think Freeze can afford to scale back the offense entirely. I think he's going to be forced to ride or die with Thorne and the RPO game until we can't any longer, and then maybe we will see Hank Brown. 

Fun times ahead!

IMG_4553.gif

• Haha 1

didn't like the hire ... with that said I have been impressed with CHF's recruiting ... it, however, has to turn into results on the field ... I just don't see anything that makes me excited about the program ... dude looks defeated & believe me I know what that looks like 

21 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Fun times ahead!

I disagree about pushing the ball down the field ... we simply don't have the O line to run 20+ yd pass routes ... IF he is going to stay with PT then it needs to be a short, quick passing game that will hopefully then lead to opportunities down the field ... I've also stated numerous times that we need some misdirection in the run game ... traps, counters, shuffle pass ... just anything besides straight ahead running plays ... we just aren't talented enough across the los to block for an extended amount of time &/or blow people off the ball

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Fun times ahead!

excellent post. i agree we have to keep trying to push the ball down the field, but i don't think we need to do it ever play. i think there can be a pull back to more conservative and still take shots. but again not every snap. and please, please, please run the dang ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nthemix said:

I disagree about pushing the ball down the field ... we simply don't have the O line to run 20+ yd pass routes

To clarify, because I don't disagree with you. When I say push the ball downfield, I'm not talking about drop back passing. I'm talking about the RPO game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SIR ISAAC said:

Presser should have been:  “Tigers COACHING STAFF not talented enough to play poorly and still win games.”

Or “Our players lack talent and the coaches aren’t good enough to utilize them to their max potential or be able to scheme around deficiencies. However they will blame it on the players, and not on the lack of ability, adaptability of the coaches.” When something ain’t working, try something else.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, StuckMic91 said:

I’m not targeting you directly so please don’t take it that way at all. I’m so sick of coaches saying “we have to have a mobile QB.” No, you need a QB that can throw and be mobile IN THE POCKET. Having a running QB is a bonus. Carson Beck ran for 116 yards last year. I’m sure there are other examples. Ever since Cam and Marshall we have had a weird obsession as a fan base about having a running QB. Give me 65% for 3,000 yards through the air and I could not care less about the running. Can the QB stand in the pocket and deliver? All the other is extra.

I hear ya man and no offense taken lol I’m going off the context of the offense and what they seem to want in a QB. Personally I’d love to have a tree back there sling it around rather than a mobile guy who doesn’t create as much explosive plays. 

13 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Yea he’s def disappointed. He said he’s going to hit Thorne with the “Is there something us coaches are doing wrong that is making it tough for you”.

I’ve been in the professional world long enough to know, you never want to have those types of convos. That means, you’re f***ing up royally.

I get most of my AU info through AU Undercover (I don’t have insider info nor do I know anyone in Auburn) and it seems like PT has great leadership qualities and is an overall great teammate but it’s not translating on field.  I think he could be a great coach one day but his on field decision making costs Auburn games in the end. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 2:17 PM, RunInRed said:

• Freeze opens his press conference saying he’s disappointed that they couldn’t find a way to win a “winnable game” against Cal.

• Freeze says defensively they played well enough to win against Cal. Credits the defense for limiting explosive plays and putting pressure on the quarterback in the second half.

• Freeze called the offensive performance against Cal “awful” says they have to find consistency there.

• Freeze says he expects the team to respond this week, adding that the leadership of the team has to demand that.

• Freeze says the team is “not talented enough yet to play bad and win.”

• When asked about, whether he will consider making a quarterback change, Freeze says it’s hard for him to “not play a young man who is consistently the best performer in practice.” Says Thorne was that player throughout camp and practice, but it needs to carry over in game. Mentions that if bad play in game continues that they’re prepared to make adjustments and will have to “go in another direction.”

• Freeze says Izavion Miller and Cam Coleman are questionable after picking up injuries against Cal. Adds that Coleman is more likely to play than Miller.

• With Miller potentially out, Freeze says either Tyler Johnson, Percy Lewis or Dillon Wade could move into his spot at right tackle.

• Freeze said he thought the execution from the quarterback would be further along going into the Cal game. 

• Freeze says he’s going to meet with both Payton Thorne and Hank Brown. Says Brown will “get his share” of reps this week, but the starting job will come down more to execution in the game.

• Freeze says Keionte Scott is still struggling with a hamstring injury and that the team is thin in the secondary.

• Freeze says Thorne is the most mobile quarterback they have, which is something he takes into consideration when evaluating the position.

• When asked about the latest north endzone renovations, Freeze says the support that allows those things to happen makes the losses hurt a lot more.

• Freeze says it’s hard for him to say why Thorne hasn’t been as successful in the RPO as he thought. Says he looks forward to meeting with him to go over those situations.

• Freeze said they struggled to gain any consistency on offense against Cal due to the turnovers and negative plays.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2024/09/live-updates-hugh-freeze-addresses-media-ahead-of-matchup-with-new-mexico.html

My whole problem with "the best QB in practice" is that practices don't come close to mirroring game situation and speed anymore. AU had maybe 2 scrimmages this year and those are so controlled the QB's can take all day. I  know it is a different day and time, but how many watched some of Dye's practices. They were violent. No whistles , no sideline. It was intense. The hardest team AU faced each week was each other. It was game speed every week.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

My whole problem with "the best QB in practice" is that practices don't come close to mirroring game situation and speed anymore. AU had maybe 2 scrimmages this year and those are so controlled the QB's can take all day. I  know it is a different day and time, but how many watched some of Dye's practices. They were violent. No whistles , no sideline. It was intense. The hardest team AU faced each week was each other. It was game speed every week.

Must be only the film study. Surely not talking about how they play against the scout team!!

4 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Or “Our players lack talent and the coaches aren’t good enough to utilize them to their max potential or be able to scheme around deficiencies. However they will blame it on the players, and not on the lack of ability, adaptability of the coaches.” When something ain’t working, try something else.

I think a peek back in the archives would show that comment ubiquitous to the late stage Gus bus. When plan A stopped working after the first drive, there was always ... well, let's keep trying Plan A.

Edited by AUx

21 hours ago, woodford said:

I get most of my AU info through AU Undercover (I don’t have insider info nor do I know anyone in Auburn) and it seems like PT has great leadership qualities and is an overall great teammate but it’s not translating on field.  I think he could be a great coach one day but his on field decision making costs Auburn games in the end. 

of course we are all outside looking in but ... PT doesn't seem to instill confidence in his teammates ... dude looks lost & has terrible "field presence" ... can't seem to pick up the rush & has a s...l...o...w delivery ... the whole offense looks "defeated" every time they take the field

28 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Is he trying to placate 'fans' or boosters? JMO, but I don't think he should say anything about it if he doesn't share responsibility. He seems too inclined to take the media bait and respond toward 'popular' social media opinion (PT/players under bus). He should be fairly ignorant of the attributions and hyperbolic mandates on social media. In his position he should just tactfully drive around it. It sounds like he's willing to make a simple concession to (simplistic) public opinion to slither away from criticism. Is he spending time on social media? Hugh - if you're on this forum, ... repent!

Edited by AUx

I must not be reading (or listening to) the news the same way because I do see CHF taking responsibility for the product on the field.  As for what he's said about the talent level on the team, I see him as being candid.  He did the same thing with coaching.  Look back to last year when he was candid about his coaching deficiencies and the communication issues he was having with his OC.  That's been consistent with all of his communications.  When he is asked a question, he answers it as honestly as he knows it to be.

17 minutes ago, AUnMS said:

I must not be reading (or listening to) the news the same way because I do see CHF taking responsibility for the product on the field.  As for what he's said about the talent level on the team, I see him as being candid.  He did the same thing with coaching.  Look back to last year when he was candid about his coaching deficiencies and the communication issues he was having with his OC.  That's been consistent with all of his communications.  When he is asked a question, he answers it as honestly as he knows it to be.

He says all the right things but needs to back it up with action. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1