Freeze Press Conference - Week 3

RunInRed

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

The thing that scares most is this: Freeze may be right that Thorne is the best option we have at QB.

Not possible. I’m serious when I say no one could play worse than Thorne did Saturday. It was a 0. Others could only equal it. And even if Hank did, he’s a freshman and might grow. Thorne is a 5th year starter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Not possible. I’m serious when I say no one could play worse than Thorne did Saturday. It was a 0. Others could only equal it. And even if Hank did, he’s a freshman and might grow. Thorne is a 5th year starter.

A 5th yr senior is who he is.  This is Danny Hugh's team; he scouts the opponent, creates the game plan and calls the plays.    

It’s taken me till this moment to realize that this year is essentially a throw away year as well. I jumped on someone in another thread Saturday and said that this wasn’t a rebuilding year, and I was obviously wrong. We don’t have enough horses to compete in the SEC yet again. I guess I can only hope that Freeze can get it done and that the money men have the patience to let it happen.

If this is what it feels like to be defeated, I guess I’m there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Here’s the key exchange if you don’t want to watch the whole thing.

What I heard..

Thorne starts next game.. but if he continues to struggle he will be yanked

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

It’s taken me till this moment to realize that this year is essentially a throw away year as well. I jumped on someone in another thread Saturday and said that this wasn’t a rebuilding year, and I was obviously wrong. We don’t have enough horses to compete in the SEC yet again. I guess I can only hope that Freeze can get it done and that the money men have the patience to let it happen.

well thank gawd you are sexy as hell..............

• Haha 2

He seems very disappointed in PT. If HB was more mobile he’d definitely get the nod. PT being dangerous with his legs is a huge asset. That probably plays more into the decision more than people think. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

What I heard..

Thorne starts next game.. but if he continues to struggle he will be yanked

Yeah, he certainly didn't rule out making a change. I think he's much more disappointed in Thorne's play than he let's on as well. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, woodford said:

He seems very disappointed in PT. If HB was more mobile he’d definitely get the nod. PT being dangerous with his legs is a huge asset. That probably plays more into the decision more than people think. 

If HB cant play in this offense why is he here?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, woodford said:

I’m not targeting you directly so please don’t take it that way at all. I’m so sick of coaches saying “we have to have a mobile QB.” No, you need a QB that can throw and be mobile IN THE POCKET. Having a running QB is a bonus. Carson Beck ran for 116 yards last year. I’m sure there are other examples. Ever since Cam and Marshall we have had a weird obsession as a fan base about having a running QB. Give me 65% for 3,000 yards through the air and I could not care less about the running. Can the QB stand in the pocket and deliver? All the other is extra.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AUApostle said:

Hank must throw a gazillion INTs in practice, or be a complete statue.

May not know the offense

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

May not know the offense

If a QB doesn’t know the offense in his second year, either the system is over complicated or the player doesn’t have it between the ears.

Edited by AUght2win

Just now, AUght2win said:

If a QB doesn’t know the offense in his second year, either the system is over complicated or the player doesn’t have it between the ears.

Maybe thats it, I don’t know. Obviously Freeze is still convinced it’s the best move. Absolutely doesn’t make sense he would purposely put the QB he believes is best as 2nd.

1 hour ago, Eagle-2 said:

Yeah, he certainly didn't rule out making a change. I think he's much more disappointed in Thorne's play than he let's on as well. 

I think we are all disappointed in freeze performance. Has failed and robbed the University and fans. If what U practice doesn’t show up on Saturday you make a change. This all coaching. This job is more than h freeze can handle 

43 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Trent Dilfer was Hank Brown's High School Coach. He is fine. I tried to tell folks CHF was CGM 2.0 

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I am fine with rebuilding in year 2 if we see improvement from last season. And 8 wins is reasonable to expect. I don't like or trust Freeze so I predicted 7 but I'm not sure that will even happen. 

More than anything I wanted to see us beat the teams we are supposed to beat. We were 12 point favorites over Cal and we definitely have more talent. 

The second thing I wanted to see is a competent offense. We haven't had one in 6 years. They don't even have to light up the scoreboard. Just act like they've seen a football before and are executing some semblance of a plan. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eagle-2 said:

I agree.    

Like everyone else I want positive results now. But as said elsewhere in the chat, we still do not have a decent mix of quality and quantity to just “turn things around” on a dime.

I am all in for Hugh and am hopeful the  PTB give him and Auburn time to right the program. We all really do forget that the Gus and Whats-his-name left the cupboard Completely Bare.

It doesn’t make my current football season enjoyable to know we just are not close to being good yet. BUT and IF Hugh can hold our 2025 recruiting class together—along with developing or finding a talented QB—and have the same needs based approach and success with 2026 recruiting…He may be able to make it at Auburn.

That is a realistic outcome for AU players, coaches and fans.

Edited by au701948

1 hour ago, cbo said:

I am fine with rebuilding in year 2 if we see improvement from last season. And 8 wins is reasonable to expect. I don't like or trust Freeze so I predicted 7 but I'm not sure that will even happen. 

More than anything I wanted to see us beat the teams we are supposed to beat. We were 12 point favorites over Cal and we definitely have more talent. 

The second thing I wanted to see is a competent offense. We haven't had one in 6 years. They don't even have to light up the scoreboard. Just act like they've seen a football before and are executing some semblance of a plan. 

You outlined my thoughts better than I did.

I also really, really disliked him pointing out that other teams struggled last weekend. I don’t give two rips about how other teams did. Stop talking about stuff that has zero bearing on us getting better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StuckMic91 said:

I’m not targeting you directly so please don’t take it that way at all. I’m so sick of coaches saying “we have to have a mobile QB.” No, you need a QB that can throw and be mobile IN THE POCKET. Having a running QB is a bonus. Carson Beck ran for 116 yards last year. I’m sure there are other examples. Ever since Cam and Marshall we have had a weird obsession as a fan base about having a running QB. Give me 65% for 3,000 yards through the air and I could not care less about the running. Can the QB stand in the pocket and deliver? All the other is extra.

Especially with the receiver talent on this team. 

6 hours ago, fasttimes61 said:

man, this all sounds so familiar. all these excuses ive heard before.

When you lose every thing sounds like an excuse at a press conference. He could give a one minute statement and leave and people would get upset. 

2 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

When you lose every thing sounds like an excuse at a press conference. He could give a one minute statement and leave and people would get upset. 

Would they? Or happy they don’t have to listen to coach bs.

I don’t hold the guy in above average regards in any area except recruiting. But i wouldn’t escalate to firing hyperbole … yet. Nevertheless, I’m beyond fatigued by the ‘cupboard is (still) bare’ refrain and on-field offensive impotence year after year. My expectations for AU football have been set so low for so long, it doesn’t warrant more than the obligatory shrug. 

8 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I watched the whole thing. He looks so sad and uninterested. Wasn’t a fan of his handling of the QB questions. Nobody cares if Thorne was able to perform well at practice. Throw us a bone!!

If you expect a 3* high school qb to play great in SEC, then this is what you can get ...  

6 hours ago, woodford said:

Yea he’s def disappointed. He said he’s going to hit Thorne with the “Is there something us coaches are doing wrong that is making it tough for you”.

I’ve been in the professional world long enough to know, you never want to have those types of convos. That means, you’re f***ing up royally.

5 hours ago, StuckMic91 said:

Agree 100%. In 2023, Quinn Ewers had 3,479 yards passing. Know how many yards he had rushing? 75.

9 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I watched the whole thing. He looks so sad and uninterested. Wasn’t a fan of his handling of the QB questions. Nobody cares if Thorne was able to perform well at practice. Throw us a bone!!

I've mentioned it here before, go back and look at Hugh's introductory press conference when we hired him and look at him now. He has aged like a president. This gets brought up on social media quiet a bit lately. He looks absolutely worn out from recruiting, stress to turn the program around, keeping the players happy (especially the really good players) so they don't leave, etc. He also sounds/looks defeated and just no fire like he once had.  Harsin looked the same way from when we hired him until when he was fired, he really looked stressed and defeated. 

Hugh talked to reporters at the Senior Bowl practice in Mobile, Al. and it wasn't too long after we had hired him. I remember he said this current SEC is nothing like the SEC that he remembered from his time at Ole Miss. He said he was golfing 3 days a week at Liberty and since coming to Auburn, he had hardly played at all at the point in time. He also said his wife Jill had asked him a couple of times "why in the world did we get back into the SEC." He was mainly just talking about the stress and what all comes with this job. 

At SEC Media Days, Marty and McGee interviewed all 16 SEC coaches one by one and it was shown on SEC Network. Ryan McGee said "I interviewed you when you were at Liberty and you looked me in the eyes and said 'football is finally fun again' because you weren't having fun at Ole Miss. Do you still feel that way?" Hugh answered "There's been many a day that I wish.......I'll just say that things were really nice up there on Liberty Mountain." 

Hugh stopped himself mid sentence and kinda had a nervous laugh but he was going to say there's been many a day that I wish I was still at Liberty. 

I love Hugh's recruiting but I'm not sold on his coaching. I truly think that both Hugh and Harsin took this job not fully realizing what all it takes to be a successful program in today's SEC. Hugh said from day 1 that he has turned around every program he's been at and did it pretty quick and he thinks that turning Auburn around will be the same way. Then after several months he quit saying that. I think Hugh saw what Gus was able to do here early on and felt he would do the same. He said he talked with Gus quiet a bit about this job and Gus really had positive things to say. I wonder today if Hugh could go back to November 2022, would he still take this job or would he stay at Liberty. 

Like Pat Dye said "This job ain't for everybody. You've got to have a few screws loose to want to do this."

With the way college football and especially SEC football is today, that quote rings true more now than ever. 

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1