Freeze Press Conference - Week 3

RunInRed

• Freeze opens his press conference saying he’s disappointed that they couldn’t find a way to win a “winnable game” against Cal.

• Freeze says defensively they played well enough to win against Cal. Credits the defense for limiting explosive plays and putting pressure on the quarterback in the second half.

• Freeze called the offensive performance against Cal “awful” says they have to find consistency there.

• Freeze says he expects the team to respond this week, adding that the leadership of the team has to demand that.

• Freeze says the team is “not talented enough yet to play bad and win.”

• When asked about, whether he will consider making a quarterback change, Freeze says it’s hard for him to “not play a young man who is consistently the best performer in practice.” Says Thorne was that player throughout camp and practice, but it needs to carry over in game. Mentions that if bad play in game continues that they’re prepared to make adjustments and will have to “go in another direction.”

• Freeze says Izavion Miller and Cam Coleman are questionable after picking up injuries against Cal. Adds that Coleman is more likely to play than Miller.

• With Miller potentially out, Freeze says either Tyler Johnson, Percy Lewis or Dillon Wade could move into his spot at right tackle.

• Freeze said he thought the execution from the quarterback would be further along going into the Cal game. 

• Freeze says he’s going to meet with both Payton Thorne and Hank Brown. Says Brown will “get his share” of reps this week, but the starting job will come down more to execution in the game.

• Freeze says Keionte Scott is still struggling with a hamstring injury and that the team is thin in the secondary.

• Freeze says Thorne is the most mobile quarterback they have, which is something he takes into consideration when evaluating the position.

• When asked about the latest north endzone renovations, Freeze says the support that allows those things to happen makes the losses hurt a lot more.

• Freeze says it’s hard for him to say why Thorne hasn’t been as successful in the RPO as he thought. Says he looks forward to meeting with him to go over those situations.

• Freeze said they struggled to gain any consistency on offense against Cal due to the turnovers and negative plays.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2024/09/live-updates-hugh-freeze-addresses-media-ahead-of-matchup-with-new-mexico.html

• Like 1

I watched the whole thing. He looks so sad and uninterested. Wasn’t a fan of his handling of the QB questions. Nobody cares if Thorne was able to perform well at practice. Throw us a bone!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Here’s the key exchange if you don’t want to watch the whole thing.

“If that continues”

As a guy who writes estimates for a living, this seems hella open ended and unmeasurable. Which I get is the coach way of not committing. But nobody is going to like that. 

• Like 2

If you don’t make a change this week, then you miss your opportunity to ideally and comfortably transition a young QB into the role until late in the season.

• Like 9

Practice is absolutely meaningless when it comes down to it.

Every ounce of effort that goes into that program, from recruiting, to NIL money, to stadium renovations, to the new facility is for one thing - results on Saturdays. 

Do I really think practice is meaningless? No. It is key in getting better results on Saturdays. But it’s clear Payton cannot translate that over. So his practice performance is absolutely worthless. 

All that seems like common sense but sometimes these coaches get so dogmatic in their processes and the way they run their programs they lose sight of the big picture.

If you find a kid on the intramural field who can get better results on Saturdays than Payton, PLAY HIM. Game performance is all anyone in that building should care about. 

• Like 6

After the disasterous bowl performance it seemed the consesus was that Auburn had to upgrade the QB position. Somehow, that turned into constant pumping up of Thorne being better because other positions were upgraded and he was suddenly going to be a good QB. I like a lot of things Freeze has done but his blind spot for Thorne is causing major problems for him and his program. Theres zero upside for continuing to play Thorne. He has been given the benefit of every doubt and hes still the same mistake prone, slow to react guy hes been since he arrived.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Practice is absolutely meaningless when it comes down to it.

Every ounce of effort that goes into that program, from recruiting, to NIL money, to stadium renovations, to the new facility is for one thing - results on Saturdays. 

Do I really think practice is meaningless? No. It is key in getting better results on Saturdays. But it’s clear Payton cannot translate that over. So his practice performance is absolutely worthless. 

All that seems like common sense but sometimes these coaches get so dogmatic in their processes and the way they run their programs they lose sight of the big picture.

If you find a kid on the intramural field who can get better results on Saturdays than Payton, PLAY HIM. Game performance is all anyone in that building should care about. 

Yep, how many times have we heard "so-and-so QB looks great in practice" to have them drop a dog-turd on Saturday. 

Results on Saturday are the only thing that matters, I don't care how many TD's QB1 throws in practice...when he throws 4 INT's in the game then something is not working.

It sounds like Freeze has at least acknowledged Thorne looked like poop and is open to a change if needed, let's see if the rubber hits the road when Thorne starts looking bad again.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CR said:

After the disasterous bowl performance it seemed the consesus was that Auburn had to upgrade the QB position. Somehow, that turned into constant pumping up of Thorne being better because other positions were upgraded and he was suddenly going to be a good QB. I like a lot of things Freeze has done but his blind spot for Thorne is causing major problems for him and his program. Theres zero upside for continuing to play Thorne. He has been given the benefit of every doubt and hes still the same mistake prone, slow to react guy hes been since he arrived.

And don't forget that Hugh Freeze was going to take over playcalling responsibilities and be able to focus on that to lead to  better QB play - yet our offense so far is chuck it up to the sideline and hope your WR can come down with it.

Edited by difball
  • Like 1

Blackerby and Dapprich are eating Hugh alive for saying he’s going to shorten packages. 

Zach is yelling “you don’t reduce packages for a 4th year starter”! 😂

He’s right. This is insanity. What is the point of PT playing if you’re not getting those veteran benefits? If you’re going to dumb the offense down, do it for Hank. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

Blackerby and Dapprich are eating Hugh alive for saying he’s going to shorten packages. 

Zach is yelling “you don’t reduce packages for a 4th year starter”! 😂

He’s right. This is insanity. What is the point of PT playing if you’re not getting those veteran benefits? If you’re going to dumb the offense down, do it for Hank. 

Hank must throw a gazillion INTs in practice, or be a complete statue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thing that scares most is this: Freeze may be right that Thorne is the best option we have at QB.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AUApostle said:

Hank must throw a gazillion INTs in practice, or be a complete statue.

Gotta be the case. Or PT is frequenting  the titty bar with Hugh and can end his career on a moments notice.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

The thing that scares most is this: Freeze may be right that Thorne is the best option we have at QB.

That is scary and a very real possibility.  But, Thorne is not getting it done.  At this point, we’ve seen his ceiling and it’s not good enough.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BornAU76 said:

That is scary and a very real possibility.  But, Thorne is not getting it done.  At this point, we’ve seen his ceiling and it’s not good enough.

there is also no future with thorne. he is gone after this year no matter what. it sounds like we will forgo a decent season keeping throne in with a high risk/low reward. if that is the case let try and develop a qb that will be hear a little while.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BornAU76 said:

True, but is there a danger of ruining a promising young QB by throwing him to the wolves before he is ready for that?  I don't know, I'm just wondering.

Just now, WillMunny said:

True, but is there a danger of ruining a promising young QB by throwing him to the wolves before he is ready for that?  I don't know, I'm just wondering.

He didn’t look bad in the Maryland game and he threw a great 50/50 ball against A&M. Unlike the 80 db 20 receiver ball Thorne threw in the Cal game. Hank should start now. This is the easiest it will get outside of the bye week

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

It may ruin him or it may provide him with valuable experience and bonding time to take us a step further next year.

To me Freeze is saying...I think PT is a good practice player cause he knows he's not gonna get touched... Put him in a game and he panics at the 1st sign of pressure. Almost looks scared. That's why practice isn't translating to games. He knows he's gonna get hit in games. Not sure why Freeze can't see this.. This isn't something you can coach out of PT. This is why he looks great against slouch teams... 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 6

52 minutes ago, fasttimes61 said:

man, this all sounds so familiar. all these excuses ive heard before.

It is not excuses. It is a press conference where you talk about things that happened and what you think. When you lose, you will never say anything that will be accepted. That is why GUS GAVE US NOTHING.

Gus is that you....sorry but sounds an awful like a Gus presser. If the head coach cannot see PT lack of performance in real time well then we have bigger issues. The main problem I have with PT is he appears to have no ability to read the defenses at all, I mean he is a 5th year player, I do not see how all of a sudden that is going to change. He had wide open options on some of the plays and never looked at them. IMHO we need to move on from PT, games will only get tougher once we get past the scrub games ..

• Like 1