My Thoughts From the Stadium (Cal 2024)

abw0004

Good morning everyone,

I hope this thread finds you in better spirits than Saturday night or even Sunday.  Games like Saturday are a good example of why I choose to wait to post these until Monday.  Whether it is positive or negative feelings, I find it better to post with a clear head to better articulate what I would like to convey to the Auburn Family.  Just as a forewarning to those looking for me to join in on the negativity, that is not who I am and not what I will choose to participate in.  Even after games like these, I chose to remain positive and look at the bigger picture.  So with that, let's get started.

Marching Band:  I am disappointed in myself that I did not give a shout out to our marching band in my thread last week so I wanted the to be top of mind this week.  Our band works extremely hard to be one of the best in the country and they deserve to be recognized.  The show was the same from last week, which had a country music theme to it.  The highlights for me were the Yellowstone theme song as well as music from Beyoncé's new country album.  I will say, the hype video for the band is just okay this year.  When I say that, however, remember their videos are always top notch, so even an A- video in my eyes is just okay.

Weather:  I don't know who said the high was 83 degrees but it did not feel like that at all, and I was in the shade the entire game.  I can only imagine what it felt like for the other fans having to endure the sun all game.  I was still sweating in the shade.  I hope we get some cooler games soon because that wasn't the best.

Cal Fans:  Not many Cal fans were around us, but the few that were, were extremely nice.  It always makes the game more fun when you have nice opposing fans.  It makes you want to be even more welcoming to them.  From what I have read that was Auburn fans' experience with them in general.  I hope they felt the same about us as well.  That is something I take pride in with out fans that actually attend games is that win or lose, we will make sure the opposing fans feel welcome and get home safe.

Quarterback:  I have no earthly idea who our starter will be moving forward, but whoever it is I plan to support him and I hope you will too.  I really hope no one boos the announced starter for the game this Saturday either.  Hugh has his reasons for not signing another transfer quarterback and I have a feeling that he might be waiting to go all out and sign someone big next year along with other big names.  In other words, Hugh did not spend all of the money available to him this year, in aiming to save it for next year to really go after it.  From what I have read, that is the plan, even if we do land Deuce.  I know it can be difficult to be patient, but we are bringing in the guys so now we just need to keep stacking those classes.  I bet you, in a few years these growing pains will be long forgotten.

Perspective:  Look, I know the loss stings.  Trust me, it was a long ride home after the game.  We are still early in the season.  We have plenty of time to make adjustments.  I meant to post before the season started to remind everyone that we will be playing a lot of transfers and freshmen with a brand new offensive and defensive coordinator to boot.  No matter how talented the freshmen are, they will make freshmen mistakes.  They are only 18-19 years old after all.  I don't care if they are paid handsomely or not.  They are still kids.  I made mistakes at my job in college.  We all did.  We knew this was going to be a long haul to get to where we wanted to be.  I didn't expect us to be world beaters until season three at the earliest.  It also wasn't like we are the only ones dealing with a stinging loss from this past weekend either.  So let's try to put some perspective on this and keep looking at the bigger picture.

“I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.”

458933789_1276326310481914_4628740224958755517_n.thumb.jpg.6d41c166c6fb63cdab78fe064244cad4.jpg

Wear Blue:  For the New Mexico night game, wear blue!  See you there!  :wareagle:

• Like 2
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, abw0004 said:

so now we just need to keep stacking those classes

I read bits and pieces of this but I am just going to say Hugh will get fired if he is hoping on this idea that he is just going to start stacking classes in this day and age of football. Results mean something too and the classes will not be there if we do not start showing progress. Patience came last year when he practically abandoned coaching duties. He does not have this luxury anymore , eventhough he gets paid* handsomely whether he wins or not. I lean to some of our past players who have been calling out the obvious issues and I have to believe the new players are not fools themselves. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Good morning everyone,

I hope this thread finds you in better spirits than Saturday night or even Sunday.  Games like Saturday are a good example of why I choose to wait to post these until Monday.  Whether it is positive or negative feelings, I find it better to post with a clear head to better articulate what I would like to convey to the Auburn Family.  Just as a forewarning to those looking for me to join in on the negativity, that is not who I am and not what I will choose to participate in.  Even after games like these, I chose to remain positive and look at the bigger picture.  So with that, let's get started.

Marching Band:  I am disappointed in myself that I did not give a shout out to our marching band in my thread last week so I wanted the to be top of mind this week.  Our band works extremely hard to be one of the best in the country and they deserve to be recognized.  The show was the same from last week, which had a country music theme to it.  The highlights for me were the Yellowstone theme song as well as music from Beyoncé's new country album.  I will say, the hype video for the band is just okay this year.  When I say that, however, remember their videos are always top notch, so even an A- video in my eyes is just okay.

Weather:  I don't know who said the high was 83 degrees but it did not feel like that at all, and I was in the shade the entire game.  I can only imagine what it felt like for the other fans having to endure the sun all game.  I was still sweating in the shade.  I hope we get some cooler games soon because that wasn't the best.

Cal Fans:  Not many Cal fans were around us, but the few that were, were extremely nice.  It always makes the game more fun when you have nice opposing fans.  It makes you want to be even more welcoming to them.  From what I have read that was Auburn fans' experience with them in general.  I hope they felt the same about us as well.  That is something I take pride in with out fans that actually attend games is that win or lose, we will make sure the opposing fans feel welcome and get home safe.

Quarterback:  I have no earthly idea who our starter will be moving forward, but whoever it is I plan to support him and I hope you will too.  I really hope no one boos the announced starter for the game this Saturday either.  Hugh has his reasons for not signing another transfer quarterback and I have a feeling that he might be waiting to go all out and sign someone big next year along with other big names.  In other words, Hugh did not spend all of the money available to him this year, in aiming to save it for next year to really go after it.  From what I have read, that is the plan, even if we do land Deuce.  I know it can be difficult to be patient, but we are bringing in the guys so now we just need to keep stacking those classes.  I bet you, in a few years these growing pains will be long forgotten.

Perspective:  Look, I know the loss stings.  Trust me, it was a long ride home after the game.  We are still early in the season.  We have plenty of time to make adjustments.  I meant to post before the season started to remind everyone that we will be playing a lot of transfers and freshmen with a brand new offensive and defensive coordinator to boot.  No matter how talented the freshmen are, they will make freshmen mistakes.  They are only 18-19 years old after all.  I don't care if they are paid handsomely or not.  They are still kids.  I made mistakes at my job in college.  We all did.  We knew this was going to be a long haul to get to where we wanted to be.  I didn't expect us to be world beaters until season three at the earliest.  It also wasn't like we are the only ones dealing with a stinging loss from this past weekend either.  So let's try to put some perspective on this and keep looking at the bigger picture.

“I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.”

458933789_1276326310481914_4628740224958755517_n.thumb.jpg.6d41c166c6fb63cdab78fe064244cad4.jpg

Wear Blue:  For the New Mexico night game, wear blue!  See you there!  :wareagle:

Will support whoever Freeze decides on, for sure!

You are too nice.

I appreciate your perspective but if PT is the starter you have to question CHF decision making. While I am not jumping off the ship, after the last 5 years I just want to see steady improvement, especially year 1 to 2. 

My expectation’s were 7 wins, 1 more than last year with improved performance on the field. Yes, we have new faces, yes the OLine is not the best, yes the defense looked weak in the first quarter and yes Cal came in angry. At least the defense Meade halftime adjustments, why didn’t the offense? 

My expectations have lowered to 5 wins after seeing what transpired Saturday. 

2 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

You are too nice.

I appreciate your perspective but if PT is the starter you have to question CHF decision making. While I am not jumping off the ship, after the last 5 years I just want to see steady improvement, especially year 1 to 2. 

My expectation’s were 7 wins, 1 more than last year with improved performance on the field. Yes, we have new faces, yes the OLine is not the best, yes the defense looked weak in the first quarter and yes Cal came in angry. At least the defense Meade halftime adjustments, why didn’t the offense? 

You may be correct on the win total. I’m thinking he will start Thorne with a short leash.

I've seen this too many times from Auburn. It doesn't matter what sport but after ripping AA&M anew one I was afraid this would happen.

Instead of getting ready for Cal, they believed everything that was written, talked about and reported ont this football and they thought all they had to do was to throw their helmets out there and they would be looking at 2-0.

Instead, they are staring down the boar of 1-1. And boys and girls, if they don't clear their heads and get focused or, hear comes the sad part. We may not win a conference game this year

(By the way, don't shoot the messenger)

Edited by milehighfan

On 9/9/2024 at 2:28 PM, tbone4jc said:

You are too nice.

We question every coach's perspective. Tuberville chose two awful coordinators. Terry Bowden passed the ball too much when we had Steve Davis. Pat Dye didn't know offense. On and On and On and On.

On 9/9/2024 at 8:56 AM, abw0004 said:

Good morning everyone,

God bless you. THIS is who we need to be as a fanbase. THIS is what we need to demonstrate. I understand and appreciate the expectation of excellence. However, we do not achieve excellence with a constant revolving door of coaches who get one season of mediocrity before they’re immediately being pushed out the door.

We were decimated after Harsin left. No roster, no momentum, multiple coaches passing us over. Things going to take time to rebuild. We do not have a good track record of supporting coaches dating back post-Dye. And we’ve had guys with track records of success in other places.

We can be pissed off. We can expect excellence. But Venmoing a quarterback and requesting money back is crap.

Give it time. Give CHF a chance to get a few full classes in. Or as Kevin Bacon once said, “Remain calm… all is well!”

6 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

God bless you. THIS is who we need to be as a fanbase. THIS is what we need to demonstrate. I understand and appreciate the expectation of excellence. However, we do not achieve excellence with a constant revolving door of coaches who get one season of mediocrity before they’re immediately being pushed out the door.

We were decimated after Harsin left. No roster, no momentum, multiple coaches passing us over. Things going to take time to rebuild. We do not have a good track record of supporting coaches dating back post-Dye. And we’ve had guys with track records of success in other places.

We can be pissed off. We can expect excellence. But Venmoing a quarterback and requesting money back is crap.

Give it time. Give CHF a chance to get a few full classes in. Or as Kevin Bacon once said, “Remain calm… all is well!”

I certainly want to agree with you but then I watch the game. Hopefully they appear better coached this week.

On 9/9/2024 at 7:56 AM, abw0004 said:

Good morning everyone,

i love your thoughts and class. i appreciate your post! also from my point of view altho i am a whole lot better when you deal with cancer a bad game is the least of my worries.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i love your thoughts and class. i appreciate your post! also from my point of view altho i am a whole lot better when you deal with cancer a bad game is the least of my worries.

Agree completely Fifty (on all points). 

• Love 1