Vs Cal Post Game Thread

8 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Still better than Thorne . My nana has a better completion percentage . 

Does she have any eligibility left? 🤣

(.... but seriously, does she?)

• Haha 2

Just now, BustemBigBlue said:

O line still has major issues. Payton Thorne is still Payton Thorne. 

Sadly, both observations are true.

Just now, Never2Yield said:

Not a Thorne defender, but was hoping he would take a major step forward.   He had the whole spring and summer, but so far looks like he regressed.

No QBs take steps forward like people wish they would. It's psychotic thinking that someone is going to just suddenly get good. Thorne doesn't have the mental capacity or athletic IQ to be a QB in college football. Freeze should have made an immediate change to win this game. Thorne should have been on the bench at halftime. He's never shown anything to me. He went 13-21 against Alabama A&M. A team that Central Phoenix City could give a run for its money.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, AUApostle said:

I stepped back big time earlier this offseason…rarely post anymore or listen to podcasts…until fall camp started and I got sucked back in.

Same here brother. 😠

Edited by Never2Yield

9 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

So many blind fans all preseason telling me Thorne would be different. Thorne defenders are idiots. 

I continued to question the disappearing narrative about Hugh wanting a portal qb to the point that I just kept my mouth shut. 

Thorne never was the answer.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

People giving the O-line crap but I thought they looked good. I have an untrained eye but man there were at least 10 times I was yelling at the TV for Thorne to throw the ball after he had been sitting in the pocket for what felt like 5 seconds. 

Thorne on the other hand…we know what he is. Move on.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If Hugh doesn’t trot Hank out as the starter next week, I’m off the Hugh train.

I am now.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Quick view of stat comparison vs last year’s game:

AU

2023            2024

Points           14                  14

Minutes        25                  25

T/O                 4                    5

YDS            230                286

CAL

Points            10                  21

Minutes         35                 35

T/O                  3                   0

YDS              273              331

T/O spread told the story here. I imagine field position implications were the dagger we couldn’t overcome. 

1 minute ago, StuckMic91 said:

People giving the O-line crap but I thought they looked good. I have an untrained eye but man there were at least 10 times I was yelling at the TV for Thorne to throw the ball after he had been sitting in the pocket for what felt like 5 seconds. 

Thorne on the other hand…we know what he is. Move on.

That was a big talking point when arguing about Thorne last year.  He sits on the ball and rarely throws it away

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DKW 86 said:

I am now.

He should be on a very short leash. They grade the players after each game. The head coach gets a D. Only thing that prevented an F is he attended the game 

11 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Thorne did have some bad moments this game, but it wasn't all on him (although, 4 picks is horrible)....

Our OLine didn't give him any protection for much of the game.

And our Defense sucked most of the game as well. If you wanna blame PT for the picks, you can also blame players for not catching a Pick Six that hit them right in hands. 

Plenty of blame to go around. 

I'm all for Hank getting a shot. I am curious how good of a runner he is though.

If we don't improve, we'll win 2 more games this year: UNM and ULM. All of the "likely" wins go out the window: Cal, Arkansas, UK, Vandy

5 INTs except for the refs.

Meh, CHF isn't a serious head coach. I don't blame a terrible quarterback for being terrible. Thorne was awful last year. He was put into an impossible situation and was totally exposed by his head coach today. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, e808 said:

That was a big talking point when arguing about Thorne last year.  He sits on the ball and rarely throws it away

He doesn’t check down. Either told not too or just panics and sticks to the play no matter what 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

He just doesn’t have it. His last two throws/interceptions he looked like he didn’t even care. Threw it right to the defenders. That’s the most egregious thing to me. He looked like he was tapping out. He is bad but he just flat out quit on the field.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, murpjf88 said:

Meh, CHF isn't a serious head coach. I don't blame a terrible quarterback for being terrible. Thorne was awful last year. He was put into an impossible situation and was totally exposed by his head coach today. 

He’s a recruiter, and a con man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 wins is tops now, 7 more likely. 

Freeze chose to ride with Thorne and it's gonna be another wasted year on the plains.

I can't complain though - I was all-in on the Freeze hire but clearly he's lost his touch.

• Like 1

Just now, DAG said:

Next week should absolutely be a open QB competition.

More like...just let Hank ball. I think we'll get some "wow plays from him" and some young and inexperienced plays but at this point he likely has a higher upside. I'm glad I didn't drink the PT kool-aid. It's far too many new playmakers on the team to be this inept on offense. And I understand it wasn't 100% on PT but with a QB that has the ability to throw on the run we can cover up issues on the OL. That was my major reason for wanting a QB like Grayson or Cam Ward. They help cover up ineffienciences. 

• Like 2

IDK, think maybe I'll check out on AU this year, become a fulltime Texas fan for the season, then check back in next year. I've missed watching only a handful of AU football games in 40 odd years, I may not watch any more this year. At least Texas is getting their money's worth. 

- The OL was awful at times, especially compared to theirs. 

- Jarquez has to understand he's getting paid now, hold on to the ##%#@!! ball!

- Thorne was beaten by the first drive of the 3rd quarter, you could see it in his eyes on TV. QBs don't come back from that. 

- The D is young in places, and it really showed. 

- Refs, seriously? That was targeting, you missed an incompletion, you had Thorne down short, and that was not roughing by Blocton. WTH ever happened to home cooking? We seem to be the only team in the SEC that doesn't get it - ever. Arkansas even got some ref help today - game should have ended in regulation when an Arky player clearly jumped offside on 4th and 4, but they called false start on the OkST OL instead. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, catvomit said:

Freeze chose to ride with Thorne and it's gonna be another wasted year on the plains.

I can't complain though - I was all-in on the Freeze hire but clearly he's lost his touch.

5-7

• Like 1

Just now, catvomit said:

Lost his touch???? Once he signed that big get rich quick plan Auburn have him, coaching became an afterthought. Fake it till you make it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1