Vs Cal Post Game Thread

13 minutes ago, nurbis said:

This is what I think the primary issue is. Once pressure started getting to Thorne, he lost his composure and got panicky. Look at Nix, he had the exact same issues at Auburn. He goes to Oregon gets sacked like 6 times per season and becomes a first round draft pick and starting NFL QB. Until we fully repair the O-line, the QB position will not get better.

The oline play isn’t that bad. It’s the play calling . The oline had nothing to do with the turnovers. U want to talk about bad oline play watch Colorado and Shadeur still throws dimes. PT could also help by throwing the ball away. There is nothing wrong with throwing the ball away. Auburn is still trying to gel up front. Long developing plays isn’t the answer. How about screens, slants or  a curl route 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

WTH ever happened to home cooking? We seem to be the only team in the SEC that doesn't get it - ever.

It was ACC officials.

4 hours ago, TheNun said:

Trotter = bust

Trotter wasn't a bust. Lost 37 players from the prior season and still won 8 games.

I would love some 2011 Trotter this season.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Trotter wasn't a bust. Lost 37 players from the prior season and still won 8 games.

And it was a trotter qb led team that lost to Clemson, and almost lost to Utah state 

I see people say 2012 may have been better if we had trotter all I have to do is look at both the Utah state game and Clemson game from 2011 and I can confidently say no it wouldn’t 

Just now, TheNun said:

And it was a trotter qb led team that lost to Clemson, and almost lost to Utah state 

I see people say 2012 may have been better if we had trotter all I have to do is look at both the Utah state game and Clemson game from 2011 and I can confidently say no it wouldn’t 

On the road. That was Dabo's first quality team (10-4 season).

If Dabo's QB in 2010 hits his wide open WR in OT, at JH, then Cam has an L in the loss column to a 6-7 team. Would you have also blamed Cam if that had been a loss?

The 2011 defense gave up 38 points to Utah St (5 rushing TDs). That was Trotter's first game as a starter. Yes we needed a miracle onside kick recovery to beat them, but he was the starter behind 42 points in his debut. 17 of 23 (74%) for 3 TDs and 0 INTs. And you want to pin that narrow victory on him?

• Like 3

How close to rock bottom are we when we are arguing over how mediocre our QB from 13 years ago was? 🥲

In other depressing news, AP voters were so impressed with Cal traveling cross-country to beat us that 3 of them gave Cal a vote in this week’s poll.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

He’s honestly the type of guy and situation you hope for, at least with most prospects. A guy that’s been in the system multiple years, high IQ, knows he’s just a bridge dude, and gives the program relief that they don’t have to search for an immediate starter-level replacement.

Those guys rarely exist in the TP era, but it’s the type of dude we haven’t really had since Jeremy (he was supposed to be more than a bridge guy, but he was supposed to be a lot more than a lot of what he was, and it just didn’t happen like that). Almost 10 years of transfer guys…mainly underwhelming transfer guys  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CCTAU said:

And yet that is exactly what CHF said was supposed to happen. He called it a bang post if I’m not mistaken. 
I’m not saying PT is the guy, but if you have no clue what’s happening on the field, don’t try to analyze it. 

But why, if your receiver isn't there or ready, do you pass it anyway? Can you not adjust on the fly to avoid these kinds of piss poor mistakes?

Do you think Cal’s coach complained about having to travel across the country, like Freeze did? Or did he just coach up and motivate his team? 

• Like 2

QB woes have been done to death so I'll ask about secondary.

I rarely watch secondary until the ball gets their way. Were we playing mostly zone or man? I assume man as Cal got a LOT of their passes off scrambling/breakdown type throws. We get some pressure (usually up the middle) and Cal QB would run out of pocket keeping eyes downfield and find a guy open who had broken from his route.

We got better at it in 2nd half, but man... it was happening so often in the first couple quarters I really wonder if they gameplanned to not be able to keep a safe pocket vs AU.

11 minutes ago, cbo said:

Do you think Cal’s coach complained about having to travel across the country, like Freeze did? Or did he just coach up and motivate his team? 

Since they are in the acc now traveling cross country will be the norm. Gonna be rough for baseball and basketball.

But yeah they came in like they owned the place. Auburn was outcoached, not hard to do, poorly prepared again, and if weren’t for penalties, Auburn probably would not have scored at all.

• Like 1

If the OLine is as bad as some say. Why stick with the long rout trees instead of short hot routes? The OLine gave him time enough. What happened to in game adjustments? Halftime adjustments? Some QBs can handle pressure , some cannot. Some coaches can make adjustments, some refuse. This is game 15 with PT, I’ve seen more than enough to see he ain’t it! You want to lose a team, keep putting them in position where they are playing with a “leader” they have little confidence in. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

If the OLine is as bad as some say. Why stick with the long rout trees instead of short hot routes? The OLine gave him time enough. What happened to in game adjustments? Halftime adjustments? Some QBs can handle pressure , some cannot. Some coaches can make adjustments, some refuse. This is game 15 with PT, I’ve seen more than enough to see he ain’t it! You want to lose a team, keep putting them in position where they are playing with a “leader” they have little confidence in. 

I thought the RPOs were supposed to be quick throws, like the slant to Coleman that was unfortunately picked off. But after that play it seemed to me like Thorne was late on all the RPO throws, leading to sacks and bad throws under pressure. I haven't heard anyone else say that including Freeze, so I'm probably wrong but I don't understand it either.

1 hour ago, phillyeagle said:

I thought the RPOs were supposed to be quick throws, like the slant to Coleman that was unfortunately picked off. But after that play it seemed to me like Thorne was late on all the RPO throws, leading to sacks and bad throws under pressure. I haven't heard anyone else say that including Freeze, so I'm probably wrong but I don't understand it either.

He was late on some throws, and late on several throws against A&M as well. Only difference was A&M defenders were beat so bad it didn't matter. 

The OL was hot garbage in pass pro yesterday, but Thorne's play, and Freeze's lack of adjustments didn't help them any either. Several times when Thorne threw into coverage, and or got picked off he had other receivers wide open. On the play that was intercepted down the left sideline when Coleman was hurt there were two other receivers open on the play. Jarquez Hunter was the Check down out in the right flat without a defender within 15 yards of him. If Thorne had thrown it to him he may still be running as I type this. 

I was more than willing to give Thorne the benefit of doubt going into the season. What I saw yesterday ended all hope for me that he will ever be an effective RPO QB. 

We should expect mistakes, and growing pains from a young team, but we should not tolerate the same from 5th year seniors QB's. It's time to pull thr plug finally on the Thorne experiment, and give Hank his shot. If we're going to have mental mistakes at the QB position we may as well live with them from the youngster. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cbo said:

Totally different aspect IMO as they have to do that as they joined the ACC.

1 hour ago, Eagle-2 said:

He was late on some throws, and late on several throws against A&M as well. Only difference was A&M defenders were beat so bad it didn't matter. 

The OL was hot garbage in pass pro yesterday, but Thorne's play, and Freeze's lack of adjustments didn't help them any either. Several times when Thorne threw into coverage, and or got picked off he had other receivers wide open. On the play that was intercepted down the left sideline when Coleman was hurt there were two other receivers open on the play. Jarquez Hunter was the Check down out in the right flat without a defender within 15 yards of him. If Thorne had thrown it to him he may still be running as I type this. 

I was more than willing to give Thorne the benefit of doubt going into the season. What I saw yesterday ended all hope for me that he will ever be an effective RPO QB. 

We should expect mistakes, and growing pains from a young team, but we should not tolerate the same from 5th year seniors QB's. It's time to pull thr plug finally on the Thorne experiment, and give Hank his shot. If we're going to have mental mistakes at the QB position we may as well live with them from the youngster. 

Basically the exact statement I was going to post! It's time to Give Brown the start because in his brief time in last years bowl and spring game, he's looked better than PT and calm

2 hours ago, Eagle-2 said:

Thorne will NEVER carry a team. We all know this. He is great when things are flowing well. When they go to crap, he presses. That’s why in the second half when the OL started to look decent, PT was still in first half panic mode. 
He is a smart guy that knows the offense. He may be a great coach one day, but he does not operate well under pressure. 
Im not sure we have a QB that can overcome all of what went wrong against Cal.

Truth is, a game manager does nothing for us. We need a guy who has ice in his veins and will continue to hit the brick wall until it breaks. Do we have that guy? 
It’s probably time to find out.
HB looks like he has just enough “don’t know any better” to get out there and wing it. I think it’s time we at least find out. 

7 hours ago, Viper said:

If I remember correctly, he played that one last bowl game and looked better than ever. I thought we were good to go. Then he told Gus to shove it. 

16 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

If I remember correctly, he played that one last bowl game and looked better than ever. I thought we were good to go. Then he told Gus to shove it. 

Did Gus try to recruit him to Arky State

5 hours ago, Mims44 said:

QB woes have been done to death so I'll ask about secondary.

I rarely watch secondary until the ball gets their way. Were we playing mostly zone or man? I assume man as Cal got a LOT of their passes off scrambling/breakdown type throws. We get some pressure (usually up the middle) and Cal QB would run out of pocket keeping eyes downfield and find a guy open who had broken from his route.

We got better at it in 2nd half, but man... it was happening so often in the first couple quarters I really wonder if they gameplanned to not be able to keep a safe pocket vs AU.

Reminded me of 1982 Nebraska and 1983 Texas

Its just an Auburn thing

2 hours ago, CCTAU said:

Trotter told Gus to shove it? Never heard that one. Why would he? Was Trotter's last game and Gus had already announced prior that he was leaving for ARK State...received a Gatorade bath by his players as a send-off.

20 minutes ago, Viper said:

Trotter told Gus to shove it? Never heard that one. Why would he? Was Trotter's last game and Gus had already announced prior that he was leaving for ARK State...received a Gatorade bath by his players as a send-off.

That was my question . He must have got  the coach confused . Gus called a helluva game against UVA

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

I thought Trotter had one more year of eligibility left? 
Maybe he didn’t. I do know they sat him that season and then put him in the bowl game and he showed out. 

On 9/8/2024 at 2:38 AM, TigerHorn said:

WTH ever happened to home cooking?

This is literally said by every fanbase. It’s quite hilarious.