Vs Cal Post Game Thread

I’m sure this is mentioned elsewhere already but I just realized 3 of the 4 INTs were on the first play of a possession. Like the offense had time on the sideline to come up with a plan and go out there and execute and that’s what came of it. Awful. 

• Like 1

Not taking it too hard because a decade of offensive malaise and dysfunction is actually Auburn's normal; our fundamental identity. But it is a real puzzler that a place that has said it wants to do so much better just keeps fielding a collection of guys on offense who look unsophisticated, uncoordinated, and pretty casual about things. I got it they may fall short in speed, strength, or accuracy at times - I don't expect more than college ball. But (insert paragraph of expletives here), why the persistent, abysmal disparity on offense compared to, say, just a high school team? What goes on when coaching and development are supposed to happen? Are offensive drills just yoga? Are team meetings done on Zoom (translated to Chinese)? Are they studying ACTUAL football technique, or did they mistakenly pick up the manuals for curling or cricket (we can fix that!!). One would think, even at our lowest point of roster management, that the on-field deficiencies would just be the discriminators between 2* and 5* agility and speed. It almost looks like offense is not taught by offensive 'gurus' to athletes with offensive experience once they walk onto the Auburn campus. Either Auburn offensive development and coaching is the most unique exception to all the college football rules, or something fundamental, elementary, integral, axiomatic, and foundational is just no longer part of the Auburn football program. - dumbfounded

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AUx said:

Not taking it too hard because a decade of offensive malaise and dysfunction is actually Auburn's normal; our fundamental identity. But it is a real puzzler that a place that has said it wants to do so much better just keeps fielding a collection of guys on offense who look unsophisticated, uncoordinated, and pretty casual about things. I got it they may fall short in speed, strength, or accuracy at times - I don't expect more than college ball. But (insert paragraph of expletives here), why the persistent, abysmal disparity on offense compared to, say, just a high school team? What goes on when coaching and development are supposed to happen? Are offensive drills just yoga? Are team meetings done on Zoom (translated to Chinese)? Are they studying ACTUAL football technique, or did they mistakenly pick up the manuals for curling or cricket (we can fix that!!). One would think, even at our lowest point of roster management, that the on-field deficiencies would just be the discriminators between 2* and 5* agility and speed. It almost looks like offense is not taught by offensive 'gurus' to athletes with offensive experience once they walk onto the Auburn campus. Either Auburn offensive development and coaching is the most unique exception to all the college football rules, or something fundamental, elementary, integral, axiomatic, and foundational is just no longer part of the Auburn football program. - dumbfounded

I think this is what a team looks like with poor player leadership.  PT looked frustrated and even scared at times when things aren't going well.  No one is out there trying to rally and challenge the team (at least on O) during these weird crappy games.

Remember when Pavia suplexed one our DBs last year and the team just stood around and watched?  They should've ripped him in half, but they did nothing.  When they face adversity, they fold.  PT is a big part of this issue.  Need a different leader on O.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AUx said:

Well it is not rocket science, keep hiring HC from the high school rank or from the lesser college conference the we will continue to get exactly what was shown yesterday.

1 minute ago, WarDamnDoc said:

I think this is what a team looks like with poor player leadership.  PT looked frustrated and even scared at times when things aren't going well.  No one is out there trying to rally and challenge the team (at least on O) during these weird crappy games.

Remember when Pavia suplexed one our DBs last year and the team just stood around and watched?  They should've ripped him in half, but they did nothing.  When they face adversity, they fold.  PT is a big part of this issue.  Need a different leader on O.

Great point. But, leaders plural. O linemen have not seemed too concerned about getting manhandled or committing procedure penalties for a while. My experience had been that you usually got several really smart ones with a chip on their shoulder if by no other means than accident. Where are they. Mmmmyep.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AUApostle said:

Needed immediate medical attention, not to go run a jump ball downfield immediately after trying to limp off.  The lack of awareness by everyone to simply NOT do the worst thing at the worst time, repeatedly, is amazing.

You right .. he was trying to limp off, then lined up and as luck would have it, the pass was for him. Communication, sideline to press box is baffling to me. 

3 minutes ago, EastTNTiger said:

You right .. he was trying to limp off, then lined up and as luck would have it, the pass was for him. Communication, sideline to press box is baffling to me. 

I reckon coaching a player to hit the ground when he’s actually injured is not a thing..

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BustemBigBlue said:

O line still has major issues. Payton Thorne is still Payton Thorne. 

Agree 100% 12/13 package would have helped with edge blitz. 

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

watch this at 3min mark. That's enuf to bench PT

And yet that is exactly what CHF said was supposed to happen. He called it a bang post if I’m not mistaken. 
I’m not saying PT is the guy, but if you have no clue what’s happening on the field, don’t try to analyze it. 

53 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I reckon coaching a player to hit the ground when he’s actually injured is not a thing..

I think there would have been a clock run off. He probably should have just barely moved.

1 hour ago, Auburn02 said:

I’m sure this is mentioned elsewhere already but I just realized 3 of the 4 INTs were on the first play of a possession. Like the offense had time on the sideline to come up with a plan and go out there and execute and that’s what came of it. Awful. 

Yeah it was a back breaker, every time. Hell one came after Cal had like a 7 minute scoring drive, if I remember correctly. We had one play in a 9 minute stretch of game time. To have early drive turnovers in the new clock rules is doubly demoralizing.

I do think there’s not much you could’ve done coaching wise to prevent them. Thorne threw some really bad balls on just about every pick. Hell the last one I don’t even think he cared where he was throwing to 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

From my point of view even if health he had no chance . The ball placement was terrible. It was like 80 for the db and 20 for Cam

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

even-former-players-know-its-true-v0-nmwkqdmc4hnd1.webp

I don’t know if PT is liked or disliked, but this type of discontent just happens when a coach throws a QB out there way  longer than his production shows. Bo Nix got it, people publicly asked for Ashford the year after Nix left, I feel like there were even veiled shots at Stidham in 2018. Even players are human and prone to emotional lashing outs. Schwartz called Harsin a bum on Twitter yday, other ex coaches pooped on the coaching. Players have way more invested in the game than 99% of us and you see it in moments like that 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

And yet that is exactly what CHF said was supposed to happen. He called it a bang post if I’m not mistaken. 
I’m not saying PT is the guy, but if you have no clue what’s happening on the field, don’t try to analyze it. 

I think the bang post was the last interception.  He threw so many it's hard to keep up. The one I posted above was a simple read. A JR high QB could have made the play

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Curious how much time this would have cost us as we were in hurry up?

i bet thorne starts again and if he struggles he will probably be benched for hank. for the record i post things i do not always agree with but i try to keep you guys informed.

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I think the bang post was the last interception.  He threw so many it's hard to keep up. The one I posted above was a simple read. A JR high QB could have made the play

Watch his presser. He talked about this one being the bang post and the one to Cam as not knowing he was hurt. 
The whole offense seemed to be on different pages the whole game. It was an odd day. 

4 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Watch his presser. He talked about this one being the bang post and the one to Cam as not knowing he was hurt. 
The whole offense seemed to be on different pages the whole game. It was an odd day. 

It doesn't matter but the one at the 4 min mark was the one to Cam when he was hurt. The bang post was the one to KLS and was thrown inside to the post while KLS was running straight.  Both were terrible throws. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

3 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

For some weird reason it seems they tried to hit home run plays like in the A&M game instead of have a realistic approach against better competition 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

For some weird reason it seems they tried to hit home run plays like in the A&M game instead of have a realistic approach against better competition 

PT was barely above 50% against a@m . He just hit some wide open passes. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i bet thorne starts again and if he struggles he will probably be benched for hank. for the record i post things i do not always agree with but i try to keep you guys informed.

Yep I fully expect Hugh to keep trotting Thorne out there. He’s hyped him up all off season. 

• Like 1

IMO to date,  the team still hasn’t played with more passion than the 4 games Cadi coached. I firmly believe that team would have lined up and mauled Cal. It might not have been pretty but we knew what to expect 

11 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Yep I fully expect Hugh to keep trotting Thorne out there. He’s hyped him up all off season. 

It works. I know it works. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b03e2ffdef8bb71b215496defd15dcda.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, creed said:

I understand you feelings on our qb. But football starts at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Weak spots on our OL makes a below average QB look bad...really bad.

This is what I think the primary issue is. Once pressure started getting to Thorne, he lost his composure and got panicky. Look at Nix, he had the exact same issues at Auburn. He goes to Oregon gets sacked like 6 times per season and becomes a first round draft pick and starting NFL QB. Until we fully repair the O-line, the QB position will not get better.