Vs Cal Post Game Thread

I wonder if CHF will start Brown next week. Not sure it would make much difference. The OL sux, so can't run the ball, and a change at QB probably wouldn't help.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DAG said:

But I am just going to say this. A few of us said that no matter how great the skilled people are, if they don’t have a playmaker behind center it won’t matter. Offensive line is just a bit as shakey as last year which is bizarre. Heck they might be worse somehow. I watched Thorne since his freshman year of Michigan state. He looked great when he had NFL caliber WRs, NFL Caliber RB and a competent offensive line.  Well duh, most people would like pretty good with that. Check the stats, he still played poor against the minimal quality teams in big ten. Now he comes to Auburn and we are asking him to do more than he ever has done in his collegiate career. This is why we had to get McCall, we had to figure out the academics with the Liberty guy. Something had to happen because just because you got 4 stud WRs means absolutely nothing if the QB play is below average and the o-line is poor in pass protection. That doesn’t mean it is an excuse for poor play however because I watch Sanders son get practically blasted and yet he stand tall and makes the dang play. Freeze and Thorne are both getting paid and not delivering and the fans have absolutely the right to show their displeasure. Okay that was my meltdown. 

I agree. Thorne is who he was last year. You can upgrade every position on offense and he would still be who he is. The problem is the qb. Freeze needs to bench him and ride with one of the other guys. S. Sanders is a legit QB. People think our OL is bad, go watch their line. Sanders can identify coverages, read blitzes, and get the ball out of his hands quickly. Watching Thorne is the exact opposite. He is slow to process coverages, slow in getting the ball out, and is wildly inaccurate in ball placement. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AURex said:

I wonder if CHF will start Brown next week. Not sure it would make much difference. The OL sux, so can't run the ball, and a change at QB probably wouldn't help.

Freeze needs to bench Thorne permanently and go with one of the other guys. While the OL was having trouble with the blitz pickups, Thorne was not helping the situation by getting the ball out quickly and he certainly was not reading the defense correctly and the ball placement and accuracy were big problems.. same as last year. It is time to give another qb a chance. 

Play calling was atrocious yesterday as well.  Auburn didn’t even try to run the ball till the 3rd qtr.  Jarquez is averaging 7 yards a carry this season!  Why would you not give him 20 touches a game?!  Hate to sound like Gus but Auburn should be a run first team to set up the play action.  

• Like 2

It really does not matter how good the rest of the team is if your QB is bad. It all starts there. 
As much as I respect JC and PM on ITAT, they did not see the need for a change at QB during the offseason.

Baffling. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

The bottom line for me is, at halftime, the defense made adjustments (many of which I and others suggested), and Cal's offense basically ground to a halt.  We stopped using 3 man pass rushes and brought 5 or 6 guys on most passing plays.  The difference was stark.

Cal Passing
1st half:  19 of 21, 205 yds, 2 TDs
2nd half:  6 of 15, 28 yds

The offense, other than a mild uptick in rushing attempts, didn't seem to make any.  Cal was obviously having some success in the pass rush and blitzing and in response...nothing changed.  Payton was still waiting for longer routes to develop and getting hit or flushed out.  No slip screens, bubble screens, halfback screens, quick slants, quick outs, swing passes, 5-7 yard curls or button hooks. No easy check downs.  Anything designed to get the ball out quickly and tire out the pass rush and give some playmakers like Simmons the ball in space.

Now what I can't speak to is how much was Payton.  TV doesn't show you the WR routes downfield.  Maybe there were changes in the play calls that resulted in open guys that Thorne just wouldn't make a decision and pull the trigger on.  Maybe he had check downs but he refused to check to them.  But to this untrained eye at home, I just kept seeing him looking and looking too long resulting in rushed throws at the last second, incompletions, and interceptions.

I don't think Freeze is a stupid man, nor are Nix and Austin.  I don't purport to be a real football coach.  But I played some and have watched enough over the years to know the common counter moves to defensive strategies and I didn't see anything that looked like that yesterday.

Absolutely.  Defensive coaches adjusted to what their offense was doing in the first half and shut it down.  Offensive coaches never made any adjustments to try to get the ball out quick and try to defeat what the Cal D was doing.  Thorne looked like a deer in the headlights the whole game.  

• Like 1

What’s disturbing is we haven’t had a 100% good qb outside of cam, closest thing was maybe marshall

Trotter = bust 

Mosley = bust

Frazier = bust 

Wallace = bust

Johnson = bust 

White = bust

Finley = bust

Ashford = bust

Nix = hit and Miss with Gus 

Stidham = hit and Miss with Gus 

thet a disturbing trend no matter who the HC is

• Like 1

Watch the play where Thorne threw a jump ball to Coleman,  when he was hurt. Both safeties rolled to Coleman.  Robert Lewis was running wide open up the seam. Would have walked in. Thorne never looked at him... BTW, Thorne had zero pressure that play. Yall need to go watch that play.  I would post it if I knew how. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Watch the play where Thorne threw a jump ball to Coleman,  when he was hurt. Both safeties rolled to Coleman.  Robert Lewis was running wide open up the seam. Would have walked in. Thorne never looked at him... BTW, Thorne had zero pressure that play. Yall need to go watch that play.  I would post it if I knew how. 

@aubiefiftyFifty maybe u can post it?...

Edited by NWALA Tiger

12 hours ago, WFE12 said:

But guys the locker room culture so much better than last year and Thorne had a spring to prepare this year…lol

Most importantly all the money guys have the access they want and are on the same page. Good job yellafella.

9 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

@aubiefiftyFifty maybe u can post it?...

i can probably find the whole game but i have no way to edit. will that help? my puter skills are bad. i think i saw it this morning but it was early.

49 minutes ago, Muscle Shoals Tiger said:

Coach Freeze will loose credibility if he sticks with Thorne and we have another loosing season.

He has very little left

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i can probably find the whole game but i have no way to edit. will that help? my puter skills are bad. i think i saw it this morning but it was early.

No. It was on a you tube podcast. Guy just kept harping about how bad a throw it was. I don't know how to copy on here. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

Any word on Cam Coleman injury?  Shoulder injuries can linger all season, hope it's nothing serious.

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

No. It was on a you tube podcast. Guy just kept harping about how bad a throw it was. I don't know how to copy on here. 

i am sorry but i think i posted that guys pod last night or this morning. it is not a long video the best i remember?

43 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

As much as I respect JC and PM on ITAT

🤣

Sorry, no disrespect, but I appreciate the laugh. 

Those two (and MM his whole career) are shills for whoever our head coach is; they are going to write whatever they have to to keep their access. 

15 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Freeze gotta be careful here. He can potentially lose the team depending on how he handles the QB situation.  It's a small sample size but team seems to respond better to Hank

I don't think he losses the team this year. I do feel however he is going to lose the fans if he keeps playing Thorne. Does he want to go down with Thorne for the sake of loyalty? Right now it appears so.

57 minutes ago, TheNun said:

What’s disturbing is we haven’t had a 100% good qb outside of cam, closest thing was maybe marshall

Trotter = bust 

Mosley = bust

Frazier = bust 

Wallace = bust

Johnson = bust 

White = bust

Finley = bust

Ashford = bust

Nix = hit and Miss with Gus 

Stidham = hit and Miss with Gus 

thet a disturbing trend no matter who the HC is

that list is almost as long as my ex wives list..........

a4ro63gatgnd1.webp

• Haha 1

even-former-players-know-its-true-v0-nmwkqdmc4hnd1.webp

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

It really does not matter how good the rest of the team is if your QB is bad. It all starts there. 
As much as I respect JC and PM on ITAT, they did not see the need for a change at QB during the offseason.

Baffling. 

I understand you feelings on our qb. But football starts at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Weak spots on our OL makes a below average QB look bad...really bad.