Vs Cal Post Game Thread

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I just don’t know how we pull ourselves out of this. I’m at the point where I think Gus was the best this program can realistically do. Deeply regret firing him. 

I know he wore his welcome out but as frustrating as he was still had a winning record over Hugh. To my knowledge he didn’t lose these type of games to mediocre teams. I know Jville was a scare but won. Then u had the spinaroni on the goal line but Clemson turned out to be pretty good

Everything went wrong for us and just about everything good for them.  That’s how it is sometimes. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, e808 said:

I know this is sunshine pumping but just have to take one game at a time. Maybe the team can catch lightning in a bottle. UGA is a loss but the other games u just need a chance . The team just needs to get their act together. The game at Mizzou looks like the wild card in my weird logic lol

You need Thorne and Freeze to look entirely different than they have for the most part of 15 games + you need this now pretty middling secondary to not look bad 

pretty hard to take them against OU or Missouri considering 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tigerchris said:

Everything went wrong for us and just about everything good for them.  That’s how it is sometimes. 

Been that way mostly lately. When was the last game it was the other way around?

3 minutes ago, tigerchris said:

It’s been like that for a damn decade. Not sometimes. Every time . Book it 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

To my knowledge he didn’t lose these type of games to mediocre teams. I know Jville was a scare but won. Then u had the spinaroni on the goal line but Clemson turned out to be pretty good

Dude he owned the PAC 12. Even past his prime, he took a true freshman Bo Nix and beat Mario Cristobal right there in front of the whole country. Did the same thing to Washington. We were spoiled by the 2010 and 2013 seasons, so we weren’t giving Gus credit, but he held his own. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, naildawg said:

He seemed strangely unengaged and emotionally flat.

Yea what the hell happened to the fun aw shucks hillbilly who could fire up an Ole Miss team to beat Bama. The dude takes himself way more seriously than the rest of the world takes him. 

2 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

Meh, CHF isn't a serious head coach. I don't blame a terrible quarterback for being terrible. Thorne was awful last year. He was put into an impossible situation and was totally exposed by his head coach today. 

Or maybe Thorne exposed his head coach…

2 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Or maybe Thorne exposed his head coach…

I can’t help but think that if the game plan started with some high percentage passes and running the ball, Thorne wouldn’t have been a complete and total failure today. Hugh thought he could air raid it like he did against A&M, and he forgot his QB just isn’t that guy. Thorne operates best when he’s running rpo and  keeping it a healthy amount of the time.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I just don’t know how we pull ourselves out of this. I’m at the point where I think Gus was the best this program can realistically do. Deeply regret firing him. 

Record vs UGA was his downfall. He held his own vs bama. 

Just now, arktiger1975 said:

Record vs UGA was his downfall. He held his own vs bama. 

Little did we know that the other two guys we hired after him would see his Georgia failure and raise him Georgia and a whole bunch of other teams. 

• Haha 1

This is no better than Harsin. What we are seeing is no better. Harsin , Freeze. What’s the difference? Recruiting ? Recruit good or bad , the same product on the field for both. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Yea what the hell happened to the fun aw shucks hillbilly who could fire up an Ole Miss team to beat Bama. The dude takes himself way more seriously than the rest of the world takes him. 

I said this last year and got blasted for it, he's never seemed hyped to be AU's coach

Is it all on CHF? I dunno. Thorne was shiiiiiite. The OL was shiiiiiiite. The defense finally showed up in the second half for some plays, but .... waiting.

FACT -- can't pass and can't run if your OL sux and your QB sux. Even if your receivers class was special!

Auburn has, on paper, a great recruiting class for next year to add to the great recruiting class this year. Will it result in a dominant OL? Will there be a QB?

Waiting for next year ........

• Like 1

I appreciate the cathartic nature of posting here. However, the sun will come up tomorrow, and this is trivial in the grand scheme. 

Unless Hugh Freeze is coaching the Sun. In that case, we are doomed I say. Doomed! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, JDUBB4AU said:

This is no better than Harsin. What we are seeing is no better. Harsin , Freeze. What’s the difference? Recruiting ? Recruit good or bad , the same product on the field for both. 

but now, we're 'aligned.' We got 'alignment.' No, I agree with you. Priorities in development, game planning, etc., must be other than winning games. I didn't think that was optional. But going on the 3rd guy, apparently priorities in the football department are elsewhere. Only strategy I've heard (recently) is we just stack 3 or 4 (very expensive) recruiting classes and magic happens. Is that all that's going on behind the curtain?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I said this last year and got blasted for it, he's never seemed hyped to be AU's coach

I honestly chalk that up to him just being exhausted all the time. I don’t think he had to work this hard at any other stop. He’s lost his joy to coach. But that seems to be fairly common these days. The guys who have fun still are the one with no expectations like Jerry Kill and Wilcox 

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I just think he might be washed up. A retread. 

Just now, AURex said:

Is it all on CHF? I dunno. Thorne was shiiiiiite. The OL was shiiiiiiite. The defense finally showed up in the second half for some plays, but .... waiting.

FACT -- can't pass and can't run if your OL sux and your QB sux. Even if your receivers class was special!

Auburn has, on paper, a great recruiting class for next year to add to the great recruiting class this year. Will it result in a dominant OL? Will there be a QB?

We’re supposedly 18th in talent level, Cal 47th. Coaches take their talent and are charged with putting them in the best position to win. Our coaches haven’t done that well lately.

https://247sports.com/Season/2024-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Little did we know that the other two guys we hired after him would see his Georgia failure and raise him Georgia and a whole bunch of other teams. 

Unfortunately Auburn is the example of the grass isn’t always greener. Still can’t believe just upgrading the receivers was a solution. If next is the year to show progress that means HB or WW has to be the QB the rest of the year. 

Just now, AUx said:

but now, we're 'aligned.' We got 'alignment.' No, I agree with you. Priorities in development, game planning, etc., must be other than winning games. I didn't think that was optional. But going on the 3rd guy, apparently priorities in the football department are elsewhere. Only strategy I've heard (recently) is we just stack 3 or 4 (very expensive) recruiting classes and magic happens. Is that all that's going on behind the curtain?

giphy.gif

This is correct. Stack up talent. Ok now you have to develop talent and get the right players where they need to be. Apparently AU can’t do that like ever !!!

• Like 1

Just now, AU120289 said:

I appreciate the cathartic nature of posting here. However, the sun will come up tomorrow, and this is trivial in the grand scheme. 

Unless Hugh Freeze is coaching the Sun. In that case, we are doomed I say. Doomed! 

Um .... CHF is coaching the Sun in his mind! hahahaha

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

I just think he might be washed up. A retread. 

Someone more crass than I might say, "Maybe he just needs a smart phone, some cash, and the wifey to go outta town for a few weeks," to get that spark back. But I wouldn't say that.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Edited by AUx
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AURex said:

This…. Freeze four. How about freeze 2 and then get 2 decent lineman.