*Auburn vs. California Game Thread*

abw0004

4 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Pathetic showing the 1st half.  If we see the same crap the 2nd half, there are going to be some very unhappy Auburn fans.  We'll forgive the first half but the 2nd half better be much improved.

Freeze honeymoon was over last year.

They need to start deducting pay from him. He still has a chance to show us he can coach but it looks bleak.

Just now, BustemBigBlue said:

First couple of drives I thought wow what a difference a few good receivers makes. Now it’s Deja vu from the NM state game. Only against Auburn does a QB nobody has ever heard of become Joe Montana. 

Every time.  I mean EVERY FREAKIN TIME!  it makes no sense. 

23 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We play Pavia again??? ******* **** 

Yes we do, and he will whoop our butts. Heck New Mexico might take us down. I'm so over PT, put Hank Brown in the game, at least he will stand tall in the pocket. 

• Like 1

I think it’s play calling more so than coaching on both sides of the ball. We suddenly started going for the home run ball instead of moving down the field. Thorne had others open but has tunnel vision again. We get to Cal Qb when we have four down lineman. Our safeties and linebackers can’t cover a TE to save their life and we suddenly quit throwing to ours.

• Like 3

Just now, Tigger1985 said:

I think it’s play calling more so than coaching on both sides of the ball. We suddenly started going for the home run ball instead of moving down the field. Thorne had others open but has tunnel vision again. We get to Cal Qb when we have four down lineman. Our safeties and linebackers can’t cover a TE to save their life and we suddenly quit throwing to ours.

Pretty much sums it up

5 minutes ago, Eagle-2 said:

I've said the OL is terrible, but the play calling on offense is equally as bad.

No screens, or flares to the running backs to slow down the pass rush. 

Freeze is calling this game like he's brain dead.

This is an RPO offense. We need to stick to that. The guys are open, but we need to catch the ball, and hit the WRs. Cal is playing tight, but I think our WRs are better than their DBs. Right now we look like a team with first game jitters. Last week did us no favors.

Edited by CCTAU

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

And we need a run game.

Would love to be on the field long enough to run the ball. We haven't gotten to actually play offense thru 6 quarters at this point

• Like 2

I wish I could say the 1st was impressive, but it wasn’t.  I want to be patient, but I guess I’ve been drinking way too much of the kool aid. 

1 minute ago, Tigger1985 said:

You are sadly so so right.

7 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

They didn't. 

The didn’t . AU is in the s*** show they created . GT is right. Shouldn’t even be in that situation. 

Edited by JDUBB4AU

1 minute ago, CCTAU said:

This is an RPO offense. We need to stick to that. The guys are open, but we need to catch the ball, and hit the WRs. Cal is playing tight, but I think our WRs are better than their DBs. Right now we look like a team with dirt game jitters. Last week did us no favors.

We heard all fall camp about running backs catching the football. Won't do any good if you don't throw it to them. 

• Thanks 1

2nd half adjustments that need to happen:

A lot more blitzing and man coverage.  Hurry that guy up.

More short, easy throws to move the chains. 

More zone reads/QB keepers.

Can't keep looking for 30-40 yard chunks every throw.  Can't be rushing 3 or 4.  Can't be playing soft coverage.  Way more aggression needed on defense.

Things we can't control:  refs f****** up the spot but not stopping the clock to allow us to reset, missing obvious pass interference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

Going for it on 4th down and short and trying to throw a bomb just for it to be incomplete changed the momentum in the first half.

Horrible call against an actual quality opponent, OC trying to call this game like we’re going against Alabama A&M again 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

You’re joking right? There have been so many every year it’s hard to remember them all

Worst I’ve seen this fall.

Just now, JDUBB4AU said:

Can’t run , can’t throw . What do you do if you are AU? 

Pray

• Haha 1

Just now, Eagle-2 said:

We heard all fall camp about running backs catching the football. Won't do any good if you don't throw it to them. 

They did throw to JH one time . He got lit up. Their DBs aren’t sleepwalking.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

2nd half adjustments that need to happen:

A lot more blitzing and man coverage.  Hurry that guy up.

More short, easy throws to move the chains. 

More zone reads/QB keepers.

Can't keep looking for 30-40 yard chunks every throw.  Can't be rushing 3 or 4.  Can't be playing soft coverage.  Way more aggression needed on defense.

Things we can't control:  refs f****** up the spot but not stopping the clock to allow us to reset, missing obvious pass interference.

You’re hired, Coach!

O line looks awful.  Thorne looks like he did last year.  Not good enough.  Hopefully they get it together in the 2nd half or this is going to be a major embarrassment.  

Thorne 7/15 for 113 yds.

Mendoza 19/21 for 205. 

Thorne has had enough pass protect for a better half. I guess Cal's secondary turned into 5*s in the off-season.

1 minute ago, Sauce Dab said:

Going for it on 4th down and short and trying to throw a bomb just for it to be incomplete changed the momentum in the first half.

Horrible call against an actual quality opponent, OC trying to call this game like we’re going against Alabama A&M again 

Pretty sure Freeze called that play...he appears to be calling the plays.