9.5.24 Football Articles

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Dream come true for Blocton as he gets Auburn career underway

Jason Caldwell

4–5 minutes

Malik Blocton is already making an impact as a true freshman at Auburn.

AUBURN, Alabama–For Auburn true freshman defensive lineman Malik Blocton, Saturday was a day he had been waiting on for several years. The younger brother of Marcus Harris, Blocton had been to game after game at Jordan-Hare Stadium and pictured himself playing on the grass of Pat Dye Field. Against Alabama A&M, his dream became a reality.

"It was just like a dream come true," Blocton said. "I've been around Auburn for a long time, been recruited by Auburn. And just getting my first snap out there and playing my first game out there, it was like a dream come true."

Not only did Blocton get on the field, he quickly became a playmaker for the Auburn defensive line. Getting in the backfield on several plays, the Pike Road standout finished with three tackles, one sack and two tackles for a loss. Listed at 6-3, 291, Blocton gives the Tigers a player that can move around and play different positions. He said having that opportunity is something he enjoys about the system under D.J. Durkin.

"I feel comfortable," he said. "I still feel comfortable playing anything because I still have to play everything here because it's some packages where I'm nose and I'm playing a two or head up zero, there's some where I'm playing the five technique. So, I mean, it's really like no change. We just didn't run a lot of stuff on Saturday."

That's one of the reasons why the interior defensive line wasn't able to get to the quarterback as much as Hugh Freeze would have liked. Facing an offense that wanted to get the ball out quickly, Blocton said it became more about trying to impact the game in different ways against Alabama A&M.

"We really weren't really crushing the pocket," Blocton said. "We were trying to work the edges. It wasn't really beneficial to the pass rush. We started doing more power moves, like our coaches told us to do more power moves, and getting our hands up, trying to bat balls."

With his first game now in the rearview mirror, Blocton said he's excited to see what the rest of the season holds for him. Working to get physical enough to make an early impact, he said he feels ready to become a permanent part of the rotation this fall.

"I got better with all of my techniques over the summer," he said. "That's really the main thing I focused on. I got better with my technique. I learned the plays better, and I just got stronger. I gained some pounds. I'm like, right at 300 pounds right now, and I can't get moved around as easy as I could when I first came here. So I mean, all that stuff played into it."

Auburn CB commit Donovan Starr 'pretty solid' as another school makes big push

Donovan Starr was back in Auburn for the season opener against Alabama A&M and plans to return again during Auburn's five-game home stretch.

AUBURN, Alabama — Donovan Starr made a surprise commitment to Auburn in June, deciding to pledge to the Tigers on his drive home from his official visit. It felt right and he had just named the Tigers his leader, so he was ready to make a move. But that commitment is still being challenged by other schools, specifically Michigan. The reigning national champions offered Starr shortly before his commitment and haven't let up since.

He's currently planning a trip to Ann Arbor, but he was also back in Auburn for the opener against Alabama A&M.

To read this full article and more, subscribe now —

SALE: 30% off first year

Get access to this article and all of the in-depth coverage from the 247Sports Network with this special offer.

Join at 30% off Annual

Already a subscriber? Login

si.com

Cal Offense Poses Tougher Challenge for Auburn, but Presents Opportunities

Terrance Biggs

3–4 minutes

With the first game euphoria subsided, the Auburn Tigers prepare to settle in and await the arrival of the Cal Bears. Lost in the midst of all of the offensive scoring on Saturday versus Alabama A&M, Auburn played a sterling defensive game. 

The Tigers held the Bulldogs to just 240 yards of total offense and three points. Now, they face a Cal team that definitely elevates the level of competition. What should the Tigers look for and how should the counter ones of the newest teams in the ACC?

Offense

California offensive coordinator Mike Bloesch started along the offensive line. As a result, he believes in excellent line play and discipline. Bloesch wants to run the ball at defenses with abandon. Yet, Cal runs a version of a spread with pace. 

For example, the Bears want to execute as many offensive plays as possible, in an attempt to fatigue/frustrate defenses. Think of the Cal defense like controlled mayhem. While they will move towards the big play, they will inevitably make a critical error. Originally the run game/offensive line coach, Cal promoted Bloesch last December to offensive coordinator. 

Quarterback

Sophomore Fernando Mendoza personifies the phrase "high-risk, high reward." The sophomore signal-caller will throw in tight spaces, regardless of coverage and over defenders, if he believes the receiver can make the grab. To his credit, he flashes solid arm talent and a gunslinger mentality that believes that no secondary will stop him. 

Also, he possesses just enough wiggle to break contain and scoot downfield. On the other hand, his confidence leads to some of the worst throws you will see from a FBS quarterback. In leaving technique behind, Mendoza will not always set his feet or drive off his front foot. At times, the ball leaves his hands like a knuckleball, begging for a defender to pick it off. Auburn doesn't need to constantly jump routes and Mendoza will probably hit a Tiger in stride.

Running Back

Jaydn Ott, without a doubt is the cornerstone of the offense, the complete running back. Ott runs hard with solid-pad level and surprising power. However, unlike many of his similarly-sized backs (6'0/210), Ott possesses the extra gear to score any time that he touches the ball. 

Meanwhile, in the pass game, he looks like a natural out of the backfield, using quickness and vision to get to the line of scrimmage and speed to win down the field. Auburn doesn't need to spy Mendoza, but they must deploy a defensive back to stay with Ott as he will shake a linebacker attempting to rumble downhill. Ott won the last Pac-12 rushing title with 1,135 yards on the ground.

There's no doubt Cal will pose a tougher challenge than Alabama A&M for the Auburn defense, but if they can contain Ott and force Mendoza into mistakes, the Tigers should leave the game 2-0.

• Thanks 1

al.com

Where Hugh Freeze said he wants to see Auburn's defense improve against Cal

Updated: Sep. 04, 2024, 2:32 p.m.|Published: Sep. 04, 2024, 1:53 p.m.

4–5 minutes

Hugh Freeze addresses the media Monday as Auburn looks ahead to its week 2 game vs Cal

By

Peter Rauterkus | prauterkus@al.com

There’s never much to complain about when your team opens the season with a 70-point win, but there were still aspects of Auburn’s defensive performance against Alabama A&M that didn’t satisfy head coach Hugh Freeze.

More than anything else, Freeze wanted to see more from the pass rush.

“I was a little shocked that we didn’t crush the pocket a little better,” Freeze said after the game.

Auburn finished the game with three sacks, but the way it was rushing the quarterback wasn’t always effective.

“We was trying to work edges. It wasn’t really beneficial to the pass rush,” defensive tackle Malik Blocton told reporters Tuesday.

Blocton, Keldric Faulk and Jalen McLeod were the three players to record sacks on Saturday. Much of Auburn’s pressure came off the edge and Blocton’s sack came with help from defensive end Amaris Williams.

Auburn’s defensive line is deep, so having the players to get the job done isn’t necessarily the issue.

Freeze continues to reiterate that he wants six to seven defensive linemen to rotate on the interior going forward. However, Auburn was missing veteran interior lineman Isaiah Raikes against Alabama A&M, but Freeze expects him to play versus Cal.

Auburn’s run defense was good against Alabama A&M, but it will have an increased challenge against Cal. The Golden Bears are led by running back Jadyn Ott, who rushed for over 1,200 yards in 2023.

Freeze called Ott “one of the best in the country,” when speaking on the SEC Coaches Teleconference Wednesday. While he did exit Cal’s Week 1 game early, Cal head coach Justin Wilcox said he was “probable” for Saturday’s game and Auburn is preparing as if he’s playing, according to Freeze.

Cal’s passing offense serves as another test for Auburn’s defense. The secondary made a few mistakes in coverage against Alabama A&M, most notable being a dropped interception by JC Hart that resulted in a 56-yard completion.

Alabama A&M didn’t throw the ball downfield much, but Auburn’s defensive backs were vulnerable at times when it did.

“They’re throwing it around a good bit, which we haven’t really been tested yet to see how we handle that,” Freeze said of Cal. “We’re very, very young, as everybody knows, in the secondary.”

Who plays for Auburn in the secondary isn’t completely decided either, according to Freeze. Outside of safety Jerrin Thompson and starting corners Keionte Scott and Kayin Lee, Freeze said they’re still figuring out who the best players are in the secondary.

Champ Anthony, who started at nickel, left the game early against Alabama A&M, and has been dealing with a calf strain, according to Freeze.

“He probably could have played more snaps, but we just wanted to make sure we’re trying to get him as healthy as possible,” Freeze said Monday.

Anthony and Caleb Wooden were the other starters in the secondary alongside Thompson, Scott and Lee on Saturday, but Sylvester Smith, JC Hart, Kaleb Harris and others all seem to be in the mix.

Auburn is still a double-digit favorite against Cal, but the step up in competition is an opportunity for improvement and for a larger statement to be made.

“It’s really a good test for us, truthfully, to see how well we can take success from Week 1 and play obviously, a deeper and better unit,” Freeze said. “I’m excited to see our defense get tested, and I’m sure they will.”

Peter Rauterkus covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @peter_rauterkus or email him at prauterkus@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

Where Hugh Freeze said he wants to see Auburn's defense improve against Cal

Updated: Sep. 04, 2024, 2:32 p.m.|Published: Sep. 04, 2024, 1:53 p.m.

4–5 minutes

Hugh Freeze addresses the media Monday as Auburn looks ahead to its week 2 game vs Cal

By

Peter Rauterkus | prauterkus@al.com

There’s never much to complain about when your team opens the season with a 70-point win, but there were still aspects of Auburn’s defensive performance against Alabama A&M that didn’t satisfy head coach Hugh Freeze.

More than anything else, Freeze wanted to see more from the pass rush.

“I was a little shocked that we didn’t crush the pocket a little better,” Freeze said after the game.

Auburn finished the game with three sacks, but the way it was rushing the quarterback wasn’t always effective.

“We was trying to work edges. It wasn’t really beneficial to the pass rush,” defensive tackle Malik Blocton told reporters Tuesday.

Blocton, Keldric Faulk and Jalen McLeod were the three players to record sacks on Saturday. Much of Auburn’s pressure came off the edge and Blocton’s sack came with help from defensive end Amaris Williams.

Auburn’s defensive line is deep, so having the players to get the job done isn’t necessarily the issue.

Freeze continues to reiterate that he wants six to seven defensive linemen to rotate on the interior going forward. However, Auburn was missing veteran interior lineman Isaiah Raikes against Alabama A&M, but Freeze expects him to play versus Cal.

Auburn’s run defense was good against Alabama A&M, but it will have an increased challenge against Cal. The Golden Bears are led by running back Jadyn Ott, who rushed for over 1,200 yards in 2023.

Freeze called Ott “one of the best in the country,” when speaking on the SEC Coaches Teleconference Wednesday. While he did exit Cal’s Week 1 game early, Cal head coach Justin Wilcox said he was “probable” for Saturday’s game and Auburn is preparing as if he’s playing, according to Freeze.

Cal’s passing offense serves as another test for Auburn’s defense. The secondary made a few mistakes in coverage against Alabama A&M, most notable being a dropped interception by JC Hart that resulted in a 56-yard completion.

Alabama A&M didn’t throw the ball downfield much, but Auburn’s defensive backs were vulnerable at times when it did.

“They’re throwing it around a good bit, which we haven’t really been tested yet to see how we handle that,” Freeze said of Cal. “We’re very, very young, as everybody knows, in the secondary.”

Who plays for Auburn in the secondary isn’t completely decided either, according to Freeze. Outside of safety Jerrin Thompson and starting corners Keionte Scott and Kayin Lee, Freeze said they’re still figuring out who the best players are in the secondary.

Champ Anthony, who started at nickel, left the game early against Alabama A&M, and has been dealing with a calf strain, according to Freeze.

“He probably could have played more snaps, but we just wanted to make sure we’re trying to get him as healthy as possible,” Freeze said Monday.

Anthony and Caleb Wooden were the other starters in the secondary alongside Thompson, Scott and Lee on Saturday, but Sylvester Smith, JC Hart, Kaleb Harris and others all seem to be in the mix.

Auburn is still a double-digit favorite against Cal, but the step up in competition is an opportunity for improvement and for a larger statement to be made.

“It’s really a good test for us, truthfully, to see how well we can take success from Week 1 and play obviously, a deeper and better unit,” Freeze said. “I’m excited to see our defense get tested, and I’m sure they will.”

Peter Rauterkus covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @peter_rauterkus or email him at prauterkus@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

What Cal’s coaches and players are saying about playing Auburn at Jordan-Hare Stadium

Published: Sep. 04, 2024, 7:00 a.m.

6–8 minutes

This time last year, the Auburn Tigers were preparing for a long trip out west, where they would clash with the Cal Golden Bears in what was the first road trip of the Hugh Freeze era at Auburn.

Now, it’s Cal’s turn to make the near-2,500-mile journey to Auburn, where they’ll look to avenge last year’s 14-10 loss to the visiting Tigers.

Here’s everything Cal’s coaches and players are saying about the matchup, which is set to kickoff on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. from Auburn’s Jordan-Hare Stadium:

Cal head coach Justin Wilcox on playing a new-look Auburn team this season: “Coach Freeze has always done a great job on offense, but they’re going to do what’s best for them and their players. So there will be new wrinkles from year to year. But you mention the new players, they’ve got the receiver — the recruit — I mean he’s a phenomenal athlete, No. 8. No. 5, the guy from Penn State, is a very, very productive player. The tackle, the running back is a good player, the QB has played a lot. Defensively, the linebacker from Duke, the defensive end, the edge players are very, very gifted guys. So they’ve got… the corner, who we actually recruited hard, he played nickel for them last year, he’s playing corner for them this year – Keionte Scott is a very good player as well. So they got good players and Coach Durkin is a really good coach, known him a lot time and competed against him a few times way back when. He’s a really good coach. They’ll be prepared and have really good schemes.”

Cal head coach Justin Wilcox on former Cal quarterback Sam Jackson transferring to Auburn and playing wide receiver: “Sam, being here for a year, he’s a dynamic athlete and we did have discussions at the end of last year after he had suffered an injury about him wanting to play wide out and we were very open to that and understood that that might be a great option. He chose to go a different direction and we wish Sam well. I want nothing but good things for Sam. I hope everything plays out in his favor, other than this game. He’s a dynamic athlete. I mean a dynamic athlete. We know that. We saw it first hand and it kinda speaks to their roster when you look at right now, just some of the guys on there and I’m sure he’ll get opportunities in the game. I don’t know how many. Kinda depends on how that game goes, but they’ve got some very, very talented wideouts.”

Cal quarterback Fernando Mendoza on what a win at Auburn would mean: “I think that would mean a lot. Especially coming off a great win against UC-Davis, wins in the start of the season are always… how do I say this… Every win tastes great, but this one would taste better, especially because we suffered a loss from them last year at (Cal Memorial Stadium). So being able to go to an SEC venue, getting that win, it would only roll more and more momentum into ACC play. I think that would really help myself, the team and the program a lot. It’s not going to make us try any harder because we’re trying as hard as we can already, but I know we’re all really excited to play at Jordan-Hare. Excited and ready for the opportunity.”

Cal quarterback Fernando Mendoza on preparing for the crowd noise at Jordan-Hare: “One of the strategies that we’re applying for Saturday is a silent count. Jordan-Hare… they’ve got great fans at Auburn, so we’re utilizing the silent count and we’ve, like you said, from Oregon, Utah, Washington and all the other amazing environments that our team has played in last year, we’re being able to utilize that silent count, especially when it gets loud in critical moments so we can play efficiently as an offense.”

Cal defensive coordinator Peter Sirmon on Auburn’s talent a receiver: “They’ve done a very nice job of an influx of talent via what looks like the portal and from the high school recruiting area. That’s always a big concern, just the amount of speed they’re going to be able to put on the field. Then you go ahead and buzz through their last game and talk about a prolific air attack, I mean that ball was getting pushed down the field. I mean the amount of explosive receptions was remarkable if you’re an offensive coach and concerning if you’re a defensive coach.”

Cal defensive coordinator Peter Sirmon on Auburn quarterback Payton Thorne: “I think he’s a very talented player. He runs better than you think. Watching their season last year, I think he did a really nice job in some of the run game and distributing the ball against Georgia, Alabama last year. He has had some opportunities to produce some explosive runs. He moves in the pocket well and he throws a really nice ball. I think if he can find his rhythm, he’s a very, very tough quarterback to defend.”

Cal offensive lineman TJ Session on playing Auburn: “Auburn is a really good team. We all know this. They put up 70 points so I commend Auburn for having a good team, but at the end of the day, with us coming out to Alabama, that’s still football at the end of the day and to me, it’s a nameless and faceless opponent.”

Cal offensive coordinator Mike Bloesch on the Auburn defense: “I think their defense is very sound. Obviously a really solid group. DJ Durkin has done a great job everywhere he’s been. Got a ton of respect for him and their defensive staff. When you look down their depth chart, the first thing that sticks out is obviously their size of the people they’re playing with… There’s going to be some big boys in there. And then their defensive ends and their edge players, Faulk and McLeod, are really good players. It’s going to be a great challenge for us. I think they’re really solid across the board. They have really good linebackers, really good defensive backs. But our guys are excited about the matchup and ready to execute at a higher level than we did last week.”

Cal defensive lineman TJ Bollers on Auburn’s offensive line: “The offensive line, they’re big guys, athletic, good foot movement. But we’re getting ready for it… We’re not going to fear anybody. We’re going to respect them, but we’re not going to fear them. We’re going to be ready to go out there and give it our best shot.”

al.com

What facing his former team means for Auburn WR Sam Jackson V

Published: Sep. 04, 2024, 6:00 a.m.

4–5 minutes

Sam Jackson V sat back in his chair and smiled.

When speaking to reporters on Tuesday, the first thing Jackson was asked was how he’d celebrate if he scored against Cal, his former school, on Saturday.

"We might get a flag for this, so I probably won’t do it,” Jackson said with a grin.

“I was talking to one of my teammates about it: get the ball, sign it and then go hand it to the head coach,” Jackson continued jokingly. “I’ll definitely get a penalty and Coach Nix and Coach Hugh Freeze will go crazy.”

All jokes aside, Jackson admitted that the game against his former team means a little more to him. The junior receiver spent the 2023 season at Cal and was the Golden Bears’ quarterback for most of last season’s Auburn-Cal matchup.

One thing Jackson remembered from that game was the atmosphere, specifically the atmosphere created by the traveling Auburn fans.

“It was crazy to me, Jackson said. "I came out, and it was like an orange-out.”

When asked if he expected the same turn out from Cal fans in Auburn, Jackson swiftly said no.

While there wasn’t much for either set of fans to cheer about most of the game, the Auburn fans got to make the long journey back home happy.

Jackson was Cal’s leading passer in that game, despite Auburn earning the win. But there would only be two more games the rest of the season where Jackson led the team in passing yards.

It was an up and down season both for him and the team overall. Cal finished the season 6-7 and Jackson was in a constant battle for snaps at quarterback with Ben Finley and 2024 starter Fernando Mendoza.

Following the season, Jackson entered the transfer portal, moving across the country and going back wide receiver, a position he hadn’t played since high school.

"I got an opportunity to do something bigger and be a part of something bigger than myself at Auburn,” Jackson said. “Honestly it was kind of like bittersweet.”

The hardest thing about leaving Cal, was leaving his teammates, Jackson said. And even when preparing to play against, his former teammates still enjoy watching him play.

“He got a really nice touchdown over two defenders. And at that moment, I was like, ‘My guy Sam, let’s go,’” Mendoza said Tuesday. “I hope he does well in his own accord on Saturday. Sam’s a great guy and I’m rooting for him.”

Now, facing his former school, Jackson wasn’t afraid to admit that the game means more to him, but he also understands that for the team, it’s just another game.

It’s a game that serves as an opportunity for the offense to further prove its improvement. Jackson was one of the many players Auburn brought in to improve the offense, and the game is a chance for him to further prove himself as a wide receiver.

Jackson’s familiarity with Cal is a factor both teams are aware of. For Auburn, his knowledge of the opposition could help the team gameplan.

“I may talk to him,” Freeze said during his Monday press conference. “Probably our defensive guys will talk to him more than I would.”

For Cal, it puts him under a microscope, not allowing him to get lost in the defensive gameplan when preparing for Auburn’s various dynamic receivers.

“We all know Sam is a fantastic athlete,” Cal defensive coordinator Peter Sirmon said Tuesday. “There’s a lot of players on that team we need to be concerned about, we’re probably just a little more aware of Sam because of the familiarity.”

Sirmon’s unit is one that Jackson knows well from his time competing against them in practice. And with the offensive weapons Auburn has, the familiarity gives helps him confidence.

“They’re going to play hard, they’re going to be in the right positions,” Jackson said. “I just don’t think their guys are going to match up with our guys.”

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Cal's trip to Auburn could be the last of its nature for the Bears

Taylor Jones

~4 minutes

Like it or not, conference realignment is becoming a traditional part of college football.

Auburn’s next opponent, California, is a part of the trend as one of the three new members of the ACC. Because of this, Cal’s players will arguably spend more time on airplanes than in the classroom as the Bears are set to travel 12,013 miles to five away games as part of their 2024 regular season slate. Their closest road game this season is a 1,726-mile trek to SMU in Dallas, Texas.

Due to the recent travel concerns brought on by their new conference affiliation, could Cal back away from scheduling a home-and-home series with a Power Four nonconference foe? California head coach Justin Wilcox discussed the possibility during his weekly press conference on Tuesday.

Wilcox was asked about the chances of playing an East Coast team in nonconference play, and if the Auburn game would have been scheduled if the Bears joined the ACC sooner.

“That’s a great question, and I think if we had known whenever these games are scheduled, I doubt they would have done that just because of the new travel schedule. But nobody saw any of this change coming when these games were scheduled, and usually that’s six, seven, even 10 years out. I know we’re excited to go to Auburn and play. It’s an unbelievable environment. It’s a great football team, storied tradition. It’s a it’s going to be an awesome deal, but if you could rewind it, I imagine they would just because the the travel is different than it would have been in the in the old Pac-12. So, yeah, we’re just excited.”

When looking ahead to Saturday’s game in Auburn, Wilcox says that he is expecting plenty of changes to the Tigers’ style of play and is keeping an eye on several players.

“Well, I don’t know if it’s nothing to do. Obviously, teams change year to year. They’ve changed. We’ve changed, schematically. Especially defense, you see some differences. Offense. Coach (Hugh) Freeze has always done a great job on offense, but they’re going to do what’s best for them and their players. So there’ll be new wrinkles from year to year, but you mentioned the new players. They got the receiver, the recruit (Cam Coleman). I mean, he’s a phenomenal athlete, number eight. Number five (KeAndre Lambert-Smith), the guy from Penn State’s a very, very productive player. A new tackle (Percy Lewis), the running back (Jarquez Hunter) is a good player. The QB (Payton Thorne) has played a lot. Defensively, the linebacker from Duke (Dorian Mausi), the defensive end (Keldric Faulk), the edge player (Jalen McLeod), is a very, very gifted guy. The corner, who we actually recruited hard, he played nickel for them last year. He’s playing corner for them this year, Keionte Scott is a very good player as well. So they got good players. And Coach (D.J.) Durkin is a really good coach, known him a long time, or competed against him a few times way back when. So he’s a really good coach. They’ll be prepared and have good schemes, and they got really good players.”

Cal’s first trip to the East Coast is set for Saturday at 2:30 p.m. CT as they roll into Jordan-Hare Stadium for a showdown with Auburn. The Golden Bears will look to get revenge on the Tigers after falling at home last September, 14-10.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinions. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

• Like 1

lwlbc57uktmd1.jpeg