Comparing A&M's #1 2022 Class To AU's Potential Class

Viper

2 hours ago, Viper said:

In your opinion, if AU finishes #1, do we risk placing a target on our backs like Fisher did with his #1 class?

I would love to find out

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

In your opinion, if AU finishes #1, do we risk placing a target on our backs like Fisher did with his #1 class?

Could care less. His inability to coach and A&M falling through on a lot of NIL promises did him in. Not having a target on his back.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Could care less. His inability to coach and A&M falling through on a lot of NIL promises did him in. Not having a target on his back.

Understood. I just recall A&M and Fisher getting a ton of heat for their #1 class right after the birth of NIL…spearheaded by dink’s infamous accusation of A&M “buying” their class. That’s what I meant by Fisher creating a target on his back…the negative attention it created for him prior to his poor season.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Viper said:

Understood. I just recall A&M and Fisher getting a ton of heat for their #1 class right after the birth of NIL…spearheaded by dink’s infamous accusation of A&M “buying” their class. That’s what I meant by Fisher creating a target on his back…the negative attention it created for him prior to his poor season.

Not bringing back old topics, but I don’t think Auburn can have much more negative attention after the Freeze and Durkin hires lol. I don’t think that’s something this program concerns itself with 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Viper raises a valid concern.  I think there are some somewhat subtle differences between A&M's 2022 class and today.   That A&M class was signed on Feb 2, 2022.   The interim NIL rules were just several months old at the time.  No one knew the rules, the boundaries, what was acceptable etc.   And the NCAA was still "a thing."  In the 2.5 years since, a lot has changed.   The NCAA has no testicles now and the rules have been stretched by many.   Just my opinion.      

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Viper raises a valid concern.  I think there are some somewhat subtle differences between A&M's 2022 class and today.   That A&M class was signed on Feb 2, 2022.   The interim NIL rules were just several months old at the time.  No one knew the rules, the boundaries, what was acceptable etc.   And the NCAA was still "a thing."  In the 2.5 years since, a lot has changed.   The NCAA has no testicles now and the rules have been stretched by many.   Just my opinion.      

The only reason aTm took flack was because it was rumored they spent millions more than everyone else for their class and did not see the results. This has not been the case with AU at all. None of the supposed NIL figures floating around show AU spending excessive money compared to anyone else. Still less than some tbh. aTm's situation isn't even comparable imo

Edited by boisnumber1
  • Like 1

My orange and blue glasses have me wanting to believe that we are piecing our highly rated classes together better than simply a pay to play mercenary.

It's kind of like ,do you want to be ranked #1 in the polls or not because everybody wants to knock off a #1. I think the goal is to be #1 at any time any thing and defend it.

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I agree I think the vibe now is if you wanted them then you should have paid more if you think that’s how they got them. 
Everyone was still a bit uncomfortable with purchasing players at that time. 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Not bringing back old topics, but I don’t think Auburn can have much more negative attention after the Freeze and Durkin hires lol. I don’t think that’s something this program concerns itself with 

Big difference. It was mainly AU fans who were upset with the Freeze and/or Durkin hires, which created the negative attention, which was short-lived.

No AU fan would be upset with the current state of recruiting.

The target on our backs would instantly be created by media, talk shows and message boards if we finish #1 in recruiting. A perennial #8-#15 school suddenly vaults to #1? It would be equated to Fisher/A&M in that we only attained it because boosters like Rane ponied up and not because our coaches can recruit.

The pressure would greatly intensify for Freeze to succeed on the field in 2025.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

The only reason aTm took flack was because it was rumored they spent millions more than everyone else for their class and did not see the results

There's two separate time periods in your one statement. The results came months later. As mentioned, dink chastised his former-colleague and friend when the class was announced as #1. That's what started the fire. Fisher/A&M's results on the field the following two seasons turned it into a dumpster fire.

27 minutes ago, norfolk said:

It's kind of like ,do you want to be ranked #1 in the polls or not because everybody wants to knock off a #1. I think the goal is to be #1 at any time any thing and defend it.

I don't believe anyone is disputing that.

It's the pressure that it creates for Freeze to succeed immediately (10+ wins in 2025 and from now on). And if he doesn't, he's on the hot seat in 2026 and here we go again.

Who cares? We worry about senseless things , almost sabotaging our own success. When you are doing something at a high level, you will always have a target on you , whether it is admiration or hate. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

I don't believe anyone is disputing that.

It's the pressure that it creates for Freeze to succeed immediately (10+ wins in 2025 and from now on). And if he doesn't, he's on the hot seat in 2026 and here we go again.

I welcome the pressure, that means we are doing a good job and expected to be good

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, norfolk said:

I welcome the pressure, that means we are doing a good job and expected to be good

Expected to be good (10+ wins) is a great position to be in year after year. However, AU hasn't had consecutive ones since 88/89. Freeze has never done it.

I welcome the opportunities. I don't welcome the pressure on Freeze of having a #1 class. There's an entirely different level of expectations on a #1 class vs. a #2 class.

12 hours ago, Viper said:

One recent list I saw didn’t have Auburn in the top 15 of NIL (the author ended up responding that Auburn was just outside of it in the comments). 

I don’t think the situations are analogous. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

One recent list I saw didn’t have Auburn in the top 15 of NIL (the author ended up responding that Auburn was just outside of it in the comments). 

I don’t think the situations are analogous. 

And Cam never received 180K.

But that was the national perception. It happened because the media said so. Concrete. Take it to the bank.

I mean…how can lil ol Auburn possibly beat out bammer, GA, OSU and the other blue bloods for the #1 class?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

And Cam never received 180K.

But that was the national perception. It happened because the media said so. Concrete. Take it to the bank.

I mean…how can lil ol Auburn possibly beat out bammer, GA, OSU and the other blue bloods for the #1 class?

Well, I don't know that you can do anything about people's perceptions, nor should we care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Well, I don't know that you can do anything about people's perceptions, nor should we care.

The national perception on Jimbo was he got the #1 class (arguably the GOAT class) and should have immediately reaped the results. Now he’s out of the business and laid up on a beach counting his millions.

The national perception on Napier is he’s at a blue blood, talent-rich program and HAD the #5 class at this time last year. Lost 5 straight to close the season, finished with the #15 class, placing him on the hot seat and now, barring a miraculous flip of their season, it’s nearly a foregone conclusion he will join Jimbo as another Haley’s comet.

The national perception is it’s a very real repeat of circumstances if Freeze lands the #1 class, then wins 7 games next season.

34 minutes ago, Viper said:

The national perception on Jimbo was he got the #1 class (arguably the GOAT class) and should have immediately reaped the results. Now he’s out of the business and laid up on a beach counting his millions.

The national perception on Napier is he’s at a blue blood, talent-rich program and HAD the #5 class at this time last year. Lost 5 straight to close the season, finished with the #15 class, placing him on the hot seat and now, barring a miraculous flip of their season, it’s nearly a foregone conclusion he will join Jimbo as another Haley’s comet.

The national perception is it’s a very real repeat of circumstances if Freeze lands the #1 class, then wins 7 games next season.

But you said it in the context of "putting a target on our backs" next year.  And I don't really know of a solution to that other than...not sign a high ranking class?  That's the only way I know of to not have a target on our backs.

Of course that's not what we will do.  You sign the best class you can, then work your ass off to make sure you capitalize on it.  That's all you can do and all you need to concern yourself with.

28 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

But you said it in the context of "putting a target on our backs" next year.  And I don't really know of a solution to that other than...not sign a high ranking class?  That's the only way I know of to not have a target on our backs.

Spot on. Sign the #2 or #3 class and stay below the radar. Sounds insane. But again, look at Jimbo. Did anyone believe in Feb 2022 he was going anywhere?

Point being…I want this awesome class too, but not at the expense of losing another HC because he couldn’t get double digit wins the following season.

29 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Of course that's not what we will do.  You sign the best class you can, then work your ass off to make sure you capitalize on it.  That's all you can do and all you need to concern yourself with.

Freeze and staff better work their asses off to capitalize on the class they’re about to sign. We know it’s coming. The vast majority of CFB doesn’t know it yet. But they will 12/4/24. Get ready for the blowback and the Jimbo analogies.

I welcome it.  If you want to be a team that consistently competes for championships, then you need to adjust to the spotlight and expectations.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I welcome it.  If you want to be a team that consistently competes for championships, then you need to adjust to the spotlight and expectations.  

Pedal to the metal in 25.