Scouting Cal

RunInRed

They used two different QB's and neither looked that good.  Also, their OL can't handle a strong pass rush.   I agree that if we have no TO's, that bodes very well for the home team.  Just think we have too much talent and the crazy home crowd will be way too much for Cal.  Would be really surprised if we don't win by at least 21.

I’m not too worried about Cal at home. Our whole situation seems to be completely different than last year, offensively. I think Payton will continue to dominate for a couple more weeks, and then we will see if he’s a serious dark horse for Heisman😏

• Haha 1

I did not watch the CAL game but the stats tell all really...

They do not look very good and look worse than last year (so far).  I just don't see them being able to hang with us after the 2nd or 3rd quarter.  If those other observations from SirBarnsalot hold true, we should cruise to a victory in this one.  

It could get ugly when we decide to air it out, but I fully believe we will start to push the run game more this time and wear that defense down until Thorne can pick them apart.

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Thoughts?

We don't know much about our offensive and defensive lines except from preseason practice reports and past performances. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, roe4christ said:

Also, their OL can't handle a strong pass rush.

That is a deadly comment when it comes to Auburn's pass rush. I haven't seen a pass rush since Marlon Davis. We sent McCloud against AandM up the middle to get a sack. I don't think we have anybody else. 

Edited by Auburn93
  • Dislike 1

I started an AU opponents thread that died on the vine that discussed Cal. Their August practices were oddly almost completely open. They have 2 new QBs - I'll call them Andrew Zow quirky - that are both better than last year's. If one sucked vs Davis the other is awaiting. Don't get cocky vs this Cal team, our O line & CBs are exhibits A & B.

• Like 2

They are horrible and one dimensional. We should beat them by 30. 
Therefore we’ll win the game on a last second FG. CooCoo Mcgough for the win baby!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Thoughts?

i say lets give them a good ol southern fried ass whooping!

viper is our go to guy on who beats whom..........dang shame he is such a dang snake.................

• Like 1

Cal’s OL is pitiful. UC Davis’ DL was all over RB Ott and their QB Mendoza. Ott is a stud and hence, the only reason he got 49 yards and scored twice. Mendoza is not elusive. Our DL should have a field day.

AU covers the 10.5 (now up to 13).

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

viper is our go to guy on who beats whom..........dang shame he is such a dang snake.................

7e268d2e47e732426f5ef6ee1449b93b.jpg

• Haha 1

They sure as hell won't be ready for the humidity levels here in the South.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I've seen that assumption fail a few times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fishepa said:

A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 82.

7 hours ago, CCTAU said:

They are horrible and one dimensional. We should beat them by 30. 
Therefore we’ll win the game on a last second FG. CooCoo Mcgough for the win baby!

how in the world did he get the name coocoo? sounds kinda sissy for a football player.

2 hours ago, fishepa said:

We said the same about USC. 2003 I think. Didn’t phase them a bit. With that said still think we cruise Saturday. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

That is a deadly comment when it comes to Auburn's pass rush. I haven't seen a pass rush since Marlon Davis. We sent McCloud against AandM up the middle to get a sack. I don't think we have anybody else. 

I thought we had 2 other sacks!!

Like going through airports is a bummer, man. We'll support our bears in spirit, man.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Last year is was a west coast late night game.     This is the game we should have scheduled as an 11:00 am game.  

I don’t think we get to choose!!

• Like 2

I just watched the first half and a bit of the 3rd quarter.

Observations:

They started lethargic, and were caught out of position early a few times. Remember this is essentially a 12:30 kickoff for them Saturday so that could be a factor.

We should have a huge advantage on the line of scrimmage both ways.

They couldn’t stop the run even with little accountability for the qb run option. Thorne is a much bigger threat to run than the UC Davis QB.

Also very poor tackling as a whole.

They don’t have the athletes to play too aggressively in pass coverage, so I believe they will try to bait us into bad decisions underneath.

Keionte Scott will have himself a game if they punt to him.

They don’t trust the o-line.

They get the ball out quick with Mendoza. Rogers can run a little bit and is who I am more worried about being able to extend some drives if they put him in.

We seemingly have the edge at every position group from what I’ve seen. 

I think we really try to establish the run in the first quarter keeping it close. We start pulling away in the second and third, and we take our foot of the gas a little in the fourth. With a late Cal TD, I’ve got 38-20 Auburn.

Edited by AUTigers910
*Lethargic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I don’t think we get to choose!!

Tho you are likely correct,   someone, the SEC or whoever,  should have made it happen.     I would assume we could have refused espn slot and went with the SEC type morning game. 

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner