9.3.24 Football Articles

aubiefifty

al.com

Auburn’s Hugh Freeze on the recipe for recruiting: ‘It’s not like Kentucky Fried Chicken’

Published: Sep. 02, 2024, 7:11 p.m.
3–4 minutes

During Monday night’s Tiger Talk radio show, Auburn head football coach Hugh Freeze took a question from a fan named Bobby, who was curious to learn how Freeze planned to tackle recruiting given the Tigers’ five-game homestand to start the 2024 season.

“Show them a good product,” Freeze first answered. “And they see that with the Auburn fans.”

Since Saturday’s season-opener against Alabama A&M, Freeze has raved about the support from Auburn’s student section and fan base as a whole.

The good news is Freeze says he had a “really good group” of recruits to take it all in on Saturday.

One of those players was four-star quarterback target Deuce Knight, who Freeze and the Tigers are working relentlessly to flip from Notre Dame.

And while adding to and improving Auburn’s 2025 recruiting class is certainly important, keeping its current commits in the boat is equally — if not more — important.

“(I) met with all of our commits at one time, just trying to hold all that together because I really believe we’re knocking on the door of having a top-three, if not top-five class, for sure,” Freeze said. “We just gotta finish it.”

Auburn’s 2025 recruiting class is currently ranked No. 5 in the country, according to 247Sports, and stands 23 commitments strong.

And coming on the heels of Auburn’s eighth-ranked 2024 class, keeping the Tigers’ current class together and finishing the deal on signing day is imperative to what Freeze believes is the recipe to Auburn football’s success.

“I tell all the recruits and their parents all the time, it’s not like Kentucky Fried Chicken where they hide the recipe. The recipe is pretty simple for playing for the SEC Championship game and getting to the playoffs,” Freeze said in his recruiting rant during Monday’s Tiger Talk.

“If you look at the teams that have done it, they’ve stacked three to four to five top-five classes in a row. That is the recipe and there’s no hiding that.”

Freeze went on to say that of the last 12 national championship-winning football programs, only one had an average recruiting class outside the top-eight.

That distinction goes to last year’s national champion in the Michigan Wolverines.

“The others, they’ve all had top-five classes and we’ve had one,” Freeze said. “And that doesn’t mean we can’t beat people this year, but it’s still not equal yet. You give us one, two more classes that are top-five range, then your roster is looking like the ones who have been playing for the championship.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

Assessing Auburn's offensive line, left tackle competition going into Week 2

Updated: Sep. 02, 2024, 10:51 p.m.|Published: Sep. 02, 2024, 2:43 p.m.

3–4 minutes

Hugh Freeze addresses the media Monday as Auburn looks ahead to its week 2 game vs Cal

By

Peter Rauterkus | prauterkus@al.com

Auburn’s offensive line wasn’t tested much in its 73-3 win over Alabama A&M, but it was an opportunity to see the rotation play out in a live game for the first time.

Head coach Hugh Freeze said in the week leading up to the game that Dillon Wade, Tyler Johnson and Percy Lewis would rotate along the left side of the offensive line, with a clear starting left tackle not yet determined.

Johnson got the start at tackle with Wade at guard, and Lewis rotated in at tackle after Johnson.

Johnson played 23 snaps at left tackle, compared to nine for Lewis, according to Pro Football Focus, with Wade playing 29 snaps at left guard.

After the game, Freeze said they’re “gonna need both of them,” when asked about Johnson and Lewis, but Johnson had the clear edge in snaps on Saturday.

In that same response, Freeze said it was hard for him to give much analysis until he watched the film. During his Monday press conference, he had more to say about the performance.

“I thought Percy’s snaps were really good. Tyler made a few MAs but overall, I thought he was pretty solid so it’s good to see both of them play well,” Freeze said.

Pro Football Focus had nearly identical pass blocking grades for the two tackles, with Johnson earning an 80.9 and Lewis an 81. Lewis had a much lower run blocking grade, but only had one run blocking snap.

Johnson played 10 run blocking snaps and earned the best run blocking grade on the team with a 91.2.

Wade had the highest snap count on the offensive line graded well. Pro Football Focus gave him an 85.3 run blocking grade and an 82 pass blocking grade.

Ronan Chambers was the other player to play significant snaps at left tackle and played the most snaps on the offensive line outside Auburn’s starters.

Chambers, an Akron transfer, was another player who emerged late in fall camp and someone Freeze called a “very good late pickup.” He played 19 total snaps with 11 coming at right tackle and the other eight at left tackle. He graded lower than Wade, Johnson and Lewis, though, with a pass blocking grade of 79.7 and a run blocking grade of 66.1.

The full list of offensive line snap counts

Dillon Wade: 29

Connor Lew: 26

Jeremiah Wright: 24

Tyler Johnson: 23

Izavion Miller: 21

Ronan Chambers: 19

Tate Johnson: 16

E.J. Harris: 14

Bradyn Joiner: 14

Percy Lewis: 9

Deandre Carter: 9

Jaden Muskrat: 9

Seth Wilfred: 6

Dylan Senda: 6

Harrison Clemmer: 5

Peter Rauterkus covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @peter_rauterkus or email him at prauterkus@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

auburn.rivals.com

Freeze: Don't want Thorne taking unnecessary hits

Brian Stultz

~3 minutes

Payton Thorne had easily his best game in an Auburn uniform this past Saturday against Alabama A&M, throwing for 322 yards and four touchdowns while rushing for another score in just one half.

That doesn't mean there aren't things he can get cleaned up. And his head coach, Hugh Freeze, was right there to tell him about it on the sidelines.

"I was really only upset the one time," Freeze said. "I was frustrated a few others -- he still made good throws and touchdowns. But he didn't get himself protected like he's supposed to. I don't want him taking unnecessary hits."

The play he is referring to was a 4-yard touchdown pass to KeAndre Lambert-Smith in the first quarter. A Bulldog defender came for Thorne from his blind side, but the Auburn quarterback hadn't set up his protection correctly. While he did get the throw off to a wide-open Lambert-Smith, the defender came close to putting a big hit on Thorne. It's all part of the quarterback being able to call the correct protection as the field general.

"I've made it clear I believe in him," Freeze said. "With that, though, comes the expectation that if we've thoroughly discussed something, the expectation is that you get that right."

The coach lit into the quarterback only because he knows Thorne can handle the hard coaching. It's also a show of respect that Thorne can be the leader of Auburn's offense and the coach on the field.

"I expect him to get those right, and I think that's a positive he should take is, if I didn't believe he should get those right, I wouldn't be quite as upset," Freeze said. "I expect him to get that right 95% of the time on certain things that I was upset with him the other night."

The moment was aired live on television, and a particular member of the Freeze family got on the coach about his anger.

"I wish the camera wasn't on me all the time," Freeze said. "My wife got on me about one of those, but it was a third-down play that I know how critical those downs are in coming weeks."

As for Thorne, he was happy with his performance, putting up more than 300 passing yards for the first time as a Tiger and the first since September 17, 2022, against Washington when playing for Michigan State.

"That's nice to be able to do that and get back over that number," the quarterback said. "You don't want to get too caught up in stats, but looking at how we played, connecting on those shots downfield was good and getting in that rhythm is something that we want to carry over week to week and something that we want to be a big part of our offense."

auburn.rivals.com

Bigger test ahead for freshmen WR’s

Bryan Matthews
2–3 minutes

Bigger test ahead for freshmen WR’s

AUBURN | It was quite a debut for Auburn’s freshmen wide receivers, which combined for nine receptions for 268 yards and three touchdowns in a blowout win over Alabama A&M.

They might find Week 2 to be a bit more challenging.

The Tigers host California this Saturday, a team that held AU to just 230 total yards including 94 passing last season.

“They did a great job against us last year. They have quite a few returners on that side,” said AU coach Hugh Freeze. “Will they play us the same exact way they did last year? I don't know. But last year, they were basically saying we're going to make you have to throw the football and win some 1 on 1s, and we struggled to do that some.”

Auburn four true freshmen wideouts have been the story throughout fall camp and it showed against the Bulldogs. Malcolm Simmons had a 57-yard touchdown catch and recovered a blocked punt for a TD, Perry Thompson had a 70-yard TD catch and Cam Coleman a 44-yard TD catch.

Simmons and Coleman both started. Bryce Cain added two catches for 33 yards.

“There were a few routes that were a little short, but outside of that there weren’t really any MA’s, no wrong routes,” said Freeze. “It was a pretty basic game plan. This week will be more extensive.”

It took a late fourth-quarter drive for AU to beat Cal in Berkeley 14-10 last season. The game-winning play came on a five-yard pass from Payton Thorne to Rivaldo Fairweather.

Only two AU wide receivers had a catch against the Golden Bears with Jay Fair and Ja'Varrius Johnson combining for three receptions for 32 yards. Both transferred out last season as AU brought in four true freshmen and three transfers to bolster the receiver corps.

"Here's your chance -- our chance, not just them, but us, too, as coaches. Here's our chance to prove we can be a fundamentally efficient scoring machine against a team I think plays really efficient defensive football. It'll be a really good test for us," said Freeze.

Kickoff at Jordan-Hare Stadium is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. CT on ESPN2.

• Like 1

not much out which makes me wonder why in the world i get up so early articles have not dropped yet. i will check in laterfor more articles later.

• Thanks 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn releases week two depth chart for matchup with California

Tyler Raley
4–5 minutes

Week two of the 2024 campaign is here for head coach Hugh Freeze and the Auburn Tigers after a dominant week one victory over Alabama A&M. After all the excitement that last week brought, it is time for the team to turn its attention to this weekend’s opponent: California.

Likely similar to last week, Freeze will look to rotate players in and out at many positions to keep fresh legs on the field at all times, which will be necessary against a Golden Bears squad that likes to play quickly.

The only major question heading into the week is whether or not kicker Alex McPherson would return to the starting lineup. The answer to that is no, as he is still battling in his recovery from a gastrointestinal illness.

Here is unchanged depth chart heading into the Tigers game against Cal on Sept. 7.

2168905780.jpg

(Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)

Starter: Payton Thorne

Backup: Hank Brown

USATSI_24127908.jpg

Jake Crandall/ Advertiser / USA TODAY NETWORK

Starter: Jarquez Hunter

Backup: Damari Alston

USATSI_22196159.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Steve Roberts-USA TODAY Sports

Starter: Rivaldo Fairweather

Backup: Brandon Frazier

20240831_FB_vs_AAMU_AP_077.jpg

Photo by Austin Perryman/Auburn Tigers

Starter: Cam Coleman

Backup: Camden Brown

USATSI_22956488.jpg

Starter: Robert Lewis

Backup: Malcolm Simmons

20240831_FB_vs_AAMU_AP_063.jpg

Starter: KeAndre Lambert-Smith

Backup: Perry Thompson

20240227_FB_SpringPractice_Lewis73_AP_02

Photo by Austin Perryman

Starter: Percy Lewis – OR – Tyler Johnson

Backup: Jaden Muskrat

USATSI_21499317.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Maria Lysaker-USA TODAY Sports

Starter: Dillon Wade

Backup: Bradyn Joiner

Lew75_20231021_FB_vsOleMiss_ZB_0303.jpeg

Zach Bland/Auburn Athletics

Starter: Connor Lew

Backup: Tate Johnson

Auburn-Tight-End-Rivaldo-Fairweather-13-

Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Starter: Jeremiah Wright

Backup: EJ Harris

USATSI_21499335.jpg

Starter: Izavion Miller

Backup: Ronan Chambers

20240809_FB_FallCampPractice_AP_2646.jpg

Photo by Austin Perryman

Starter: Philip Blidi – OR – Malik Blocton

20240805_FB_FallCampPractice_AP_3137.jpg

Photo by Austin Perryman

Starter: Isaiah Raikes – OR – Jayson Jones

20240831_FB_vs_AAMU_ZB_090.jpg

Starter: Keldric Faulk – OR – Zykevious Walker

USATSI_24127892_cf6b26.jpg

Starter: Jalen McLeod – OR – Keyron Crawford

USATSI_21488177.jpg

Starter: Eugene Asante – OR – Robert Woodyard Jr.

20240815_FB_FallCampPractice_AP_0130.jpg

Photo by Austin Perryman

Starter: Dorian Mausi Jr. – OR – Fa’Najae Gotay

Auburn-Linebacker-Austin-Keys-6_20231118

Photo by Jamie Holt/Auburn Tigers

Starter: Austin Keys – OR – Demarcus Riddick

20240805_FB_FallCampPractice_AP_2659.jpg

Photo by Austin Perryman

Starter: Champ Anthony – OR – Jahquez Robinson

USATSI_21820100.jpg

Andrew Nelles / The Tennessean / USA TODAY NETWORK

Starter: Caleb Wooden – OR – Kaleb Harris

20240406_FB_ADay_Thompson1_AP_3895.jpg

Photo by Austin Perryman

Starter: Jerrin Thompson – OR – Sylvester Smith

Auburn-Defensive-Back-Keionte-Scott-0_20

Starter: Keionte Scott – OR – Antonio Kite

20240312_FB_SpringPractice_Lee4_AP_5493.

Photo by Austin Perryman

Starter: Kayin Lee – OR – JC Hart

USATSI_22956524.jpg

Starter: Towns McGough

USATSI_21487894-1.jpg

Starter: Oscar Chapman

Backup: Gabe Russo

20231227_FB_BowlWelcomeParty_Hughes61_AP

Photo by Austin Perryman

Starter: Reed Hughes

Backup: Keaton McNutt

USATSI_22956446.jpg

Starter: Jeremiah Cobb

Backup: Malcolm Simmons

Auburn-Defensive-Back-Keionte-Scott-0_20

Starter: Keionte Scott

Backup: KeAndre Lambert-Smith

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Where does Auburn land in this week's USA TODAY Sports SEC Power Poll?

Taylor Jones

2–3 minutes

As SEC football gets underway this weekend, the Auburn Tigers look to make a strong impression among its fanbase and college football experts with a great showing at home against Alabama A&M.

Auburn football is on a quest to win more than six games for the first time this decade and has the talent on its roster to make that dream turn into reality. However, many experts are not ready to give Auburn “SEC Championship contender” status this season until they have a few games under their belt, including Chase Goodbread of the Tuscaloosa News.  Goodbread released his debut SEC Power Poll ahead of the 2024 season and has given Auburn the No. 12 slot.

His early assessment of the Tigers is spot on, as he declares that Auburn fans will “demand more explosiveness from Hugh Freeze’s offense this year.” Freeze has done wonders this offseason by nearly gutting last season’s wide receiver room and rebuilding the unit with solid transfers including former Georgia State star Robert Lewis and Penn State transfer KeAndre Lambert-Smith. Freshmen Cam Coleman and Perry Thompson are expected to contribute heavily this season alongside the Tigers’ leading receiver from a year ago, Rivaldo Fairweather.

If the Tigers do not improve upon last season’s output, which ranked last among SEC teams at 162.23 yards per game, Auburn fans will become understandably frustrated. However, Freeze’s track record proves he will continue building Auburn into an offense powerhouse in 2024. Goodbread leaves the door open for Auburn to climb in the rankings in upcoming weeks if the Tigers can provide enough offensive firepower.

Georgia, Texas, Alabama, Ole Miss, and Tennessee make up the top five while Kentucky and Texas A&M are ahead of Auburn for a top-10 placement.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinions. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

al.com

College football TV schedule for Week 2 of 2024 season

Updated: Sep. 03, 2024, 8:47 a.m.|Published: Sep. 03, 2024, 6:00 a.m.
3–4 minutes

Below is the college football TV and live stream schedule for Week 2 of the 2024 season. All times Central:

Friday, Sept. 6

BYU at SMU, 6 p.m., ESPN2 (ESPN+)

Western Illinois at Indiana, 6 p.m., Big Ten Network (Fox Sports)

Duke at Northwestern, 8 p.m., Fox Sports 1 (Fox Sports)

Saturday, Sept. 7

Arkansas at Oklahoma State, 11 a.m., ABC (espn3)

Texas at Michigan, 11 a.m., Fox (Fox Sports)

Kansas State at Tulane, 11 a.m., ESPN (ESPN+)

Pittsburgh at Cincinnati, 11 a.m., ESPN2 (ESPN+)

Troy at Memphis, 11 a.m., ESPNU (ESPN+)

Akron at Rutgers, 11 a.m., Big Ten Network (Fox Sports)

Bowling Green at Penn State, 11 a.m., Big Network (Fox Sports)

Georgia Tech at Syracuse, 11 a.m., ACC Network (ESPN+)

Army at Florida Atlantic, 11 a.m., CBS Sports Network (CBS Sports video)

McNeese State at Texas A&M, 11:45 a.m., SEC Network (ESPN+)

South Carolina at Kentucky, 2:30 p.m., ABC (espn3)

Iowa State at Iowa, 2:30 p.m., CBS (Big Ten on CBS)

Baylor at Utah, 2:30 p.m., Fox (Fox Sports)

Northern Illinois at Notre Dame, 2:30 p.m., NBC (Notre Dame on NBC)

California at Auburn, 2:30 p.m., ESPN2 (ESPN+)

South Dakota at Wisconsin, 2:30 p.m., Fox Sports 1 (Fox Sports)

Charlotte at North Carolina, 2:30 p.m., ACC Network (ESPN+)

Eastern Michigan at Washington, 2:30 p.m., Big Ten Network (Fox Sports)

Michigan State at Maryland, 2:30 p.m., Big Ten Network (Fox Sports)

Temple at Navy, 2:30 p.m., CBS Sports Network (CBS Sports video)

Jacksonville State at Louisville, 2:30 p.m., no TV (ESPN+)

Idaho at Wyoming, 2:30 p.m., truTV (Watch truTV)

Texas-San Antonio at Texas State, 3 p.m., ESPNU (ESPN+)

Middle Tennessee at Virginia Tech, 3:30 p.m., The CW (affiliates)

South Alabama at Ohio, 5 p.m., no TV (ESPN+)

South Florida at Alabama, 6 p.m., ESPN (ESPN+)

Virginia at Wake Forest, 6 p.m., ESPN2 (ESPN+)

Kansas at Illinois, 6 p.m., Fox Sports 1 (Fox Sports)

San Jose State at Air Force, 6 p.m., CBS Sports Network (CBS Sports video)

Georgia Southern at Nevada, 6 p.m., truTV (Watch truTV)

UAB at Louisiana-Monroe, 6 p.m., no TV (ESPN+)

North Carolina State vs. Tennessee (Charlotte), 6:30 p.m., ABC (espn3)

Colorado at Nebraska, 6:30 p.m., NBC (Big Ten on NBC)

Alcorn State at Vanderbilt, 6:30 p.m., ESPNU (ESPN+)

Western Michigan at Ohio State, 6:30 p.m., Big Ten Network (Fox Sports)

Houston at Oklahoma, 6:45 p.m., SEC Network (ESPN+)

Appalachian State at Clemson, 7 p.m., ACC Network (ESPN+)

Texas Tech at Washington State, 9 p.m., Fox (Fox Sports)

Liberty at New Mexico State, 9:15 p.m., ESPN2 (ESPN+)

Mississippi State at Arizona State, 9:30 p.m., ESPN (ESPN+)

Oregon State at San Diego State, 9:30 p.m., CBS Sports Network (CBS Sports video)

Utah State at USC, 10 p.m., Big Ten Network (Fox Sports)

al.com

How Auburn's Tyler Johnson emerged in experienced offensive line room

Published: Sep. 03, 2024, 3:34 p.m.

4–5 minutes

Hugh Freeze addresses the media Monday as Auburn looks ahead to its week 2 game vs Cal

By

Peter Rauterkus | prauterkus@al.com

Hugh Freeze’s tone when asked about the offensive line shifted over the course of fall camp.

Around two weeks before fall camp started, Freeze sounded confident in his offensive line, saying “we should be good there” when asked about the group during SEC Media Days.

A month later, Freeze called the offensive line his “biggest worry about the offense right now” shortly before Auburn was set to begin his season.

That concern resulted in a change on the left side of the offensive line, initially swapping left tackle Percy Lewis and left guard Dillon Wade. That turned into a three-man rotation with Lewis, Wade and redshirt freshman Tyler Johnson.

Freeze mentioned Johnson being a contributor during SEC Media Days, but Lewis, a Mississippi State transfer, seemed to have a relatively firm hold on the starting left tackle spot going into fall camp.

That had changed completely by the time Auburn opened its season against Alabama A&M, as Johnson got the start at left tackle and got more snaps than Lewis.

“It was just like all the hard work just paying off through fall camp,” Johnson told reporters Tuesday, reflecting on the start.

Johnson was injured at the start of fall camp, battling a right quad strain that forced him to miss the first few practices of camp. Once healthy, he impressed the coaching staff, including Freeze, who said Johnson has “a chance to be really, really talented.”

Even early in fall camp, when Johnson was just returning to practice, offensive line coach Jake Thornton had high praise for him.

“I can’t speak more about his growth over the last year,” Thornton told reporters on Aug. 9. “We’re going to count on him at some point. And he’s doing a really good job.”

When asked about his growth, Johnson attributed it to spending more time learning the offense.

“Learning the other things just besides things on the offensive line,” Johnson said. “Learning the things the receivers are trying to do, understanding, ‘What’s the concept of this run or this pass?’”

Johnson was solid in his debut against Alabama A&M. He played 23 snaps, with Pro Football Focus giving him a pass blocking grade of 80.9 and a run blocking grade of 91.2.

He and Lewis rotated at left tackle, but Johnson had the clear edge in snaps. Freeze said during the lead up to the game that it could take a few weeks to nail down a set lineup and followed up after the game saying that they needed both players.

“It’s good that they’re actually doing that, because it allows you to stay on top of your game,” Johnson said of the rotation. “You have to go out here and you’ve got to perform. If not, you’re going to get out. Not saying that’s what they was doing. We was just genuinely rotating, but it keeps you on top of your game.”

Saturday’s matchup against Cal will undoubtedly be a bigger test for Johnson and the offensive line and could be a bigger step towards a more permanent starting group.

Peter Rauterkus covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @peter_rauterkus or email him at prauterkus@al.com

al.com

Rivaldo Fairweather used last year’s Cal game as a launch pad. Will history repeat itself?

Updated: Sep. 03, 2024, 4:38 p.m.|Published: Sep. 03, 2024, 3:53 p.m.

4–5 minutes

AUBURN, AL - August 31, 2024 - Auburn Tight End Rivaldo Fairweather (#13) during the game between the Alabama A&M Bulldogs and the Auburn Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL. Photo By Austin PerrymanAustin Perryman

Ask Auburn tight end Rivaldo Fairweather about last year’s visit to Cal and the Tigers’ struggling offense won’t be the first thing that comes to mind.

Instead, Fairweather distinctively remembers a pair of vital catches in the fourth quarter.

Trailing by three points in the fourth quarter, the Auburn offense found itself staring down a 3rd-and-17 and was in desperate need of a conversion.

Fortunately, Auburn quarterback Payton Thorne was able to connect with Fairweather for a 27-yard pickup and — more importantly — a fresh set of downs.

“That was a clutch play for us,” Fairweather recalled while talking to reporters on Tuesday.

The Tigers went on to drive down inside the Cal 5-yard line, where Fairweather’s number was called again — this time for the game-winning touchdown in the back corner of the end zone.

“What (do) I remember? I remember scoring the game-winning touchdown,” Fairweather laughed when asked about last year’s 14-10 win at Cal.

At the time, Fairweather’s performance appeared to be nothing more than a game-ball-worthy showing that helped Auburn avoid a loss out west in the hills of California.

However, as the year continued to unfold, it became clear the performance was more than just a one-off for the transfer tight end out of FIU.

Asked if he felt that game served as a bit of a launch pad for his first season of college football at the Power 5 level, Fairweather responded in the affirmative.

“Because that game, I think I got my first catch and touchdown that game,” Fairweather said.

The week prior in Auburn’s season-opener against UMass, Fairweather didn’t record a reception.

He caught three passes for 39 yards and a touchdown at Cal.

“Yeah, that game really started everything off and hopefully it’s going to start everything off again this year,” Fairweather said of Saturday’s rematch with Cal.

After being the leading receiver in Auburn’s offense last fall, Fairweather didn’t see much action in Saturday’s 73-3 win over Alabama A&M.

Fairweather was targeted twice against Alabama A&M, making one catch and dropping another.

“That’ll probably be the last drop you’ll ever see from me the whole season,” Fairweather said. “First game, just gotta get that drop out the way and get ready for what’s ahead.”

Considering the Tigers’ massive overhaul in the wide receiver room, Fairweather knew it was unlikely that he’d be No. 1 target for the second year in a row.

But with new threats out wide at receiver, Fairweather knows his job is about to get easier.

“I wasn’t really lined up outside like that, so I wasn’t really matched up with corners. I was really lined up with safeties and linebackers, stuff like that,” Fairweather said, referring to Saturday’s game vs. Alabama A&M. “So for me, it’s going to be easier for me because I’m not going to be lined up against the best cover guy, they’ve gotta cover our receivers now.”

Fairweather was glad to see the new faces in Auburn’s receiver room have success against the Bulldogs on Saturday.

“I’m not really a selfish player,” Fairweather said. “I know it’s going to come. It’s God’s timing and it’s all going to make sense in the end.”

And if history repeats itself, that timing could come against a familiar program in the Cal Golden Bears.

“Like I said, later on in the season or whenever the next opportunity comes our way, I’m going to strike,” Fairweather said.