CHF Weekly Presser - Cal

RunInRed

Three points stood out in the comments Auburn coach Hugh Freeze made on Monday about the Cal team he will face on Saturday in Auburn, Alabama.

---It’s safe to say Auburn’s offense will be prepared to deal with Cal outside linebackers Xavier Carlton and David Reese, because Freeze mentioned those two Golden Bears defenders several times Monday.

---When discussing Cal’s offense, Freeze pointed out the strengths of quarterback Fernando Mendoza, but never mentioned Bears running back Jaydn Ott, the team’s star.

---Freeze admits he might try to get some Cal knowledge from Sam Jackson V, who played quarterback for Cal against Auburn last year but is a backup wide receiver for Auburn this year.

“Will they play us the same way they did last year? I don’t know,” Freeze said. “Last year they were basically saying, ‘We’re going to make you have to throw the football and win some one-on-ones,’ and we struggled to do that last year.

“So we’ll see. We studied every game that they played from last year and yesterday [Saturday] for the most part and this morning. They didn’t do that the entire year, but that was their plan against us. So we’ll have to see, but I don’t think it’s going to be like . . . It’s not some mystery of what they’re going to play. They’re going to play some even front, some bear [front], and that’s kind of who they’ve been.

“They’ll have a good plan I’m sure. It’ll be a good challenge to sort of see kind of where we are offensively.”

“Here’s our chance to prove we can be a fundamentally efficient scoring machine against who I think plays really good defensive football,” Freeze said.  

https://www.si.com/college/cal/football/auburn-coach-hugh-freeze-discusses-cal-s-offense-and-defense-01j6tk7fxe4w

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

He was really on Thorn's case...seemed like an overreaction to me at the time.  I wouldn't take well to that kind of 'coaching'!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

He was really on Thorn's case...seemed like an overreaction to me at the time.  I wouldn't take well to that kind of 'coaching'!

its the kind of coaching you want out of a coach. it's what was lax during the gus years

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

Over reaction ? If he wants to make the league he better be able to handle that kind of stuff. Coaches like Saban react much worse because they expect the best. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have some concern about the pass defense. Especially, the secondary.  Probably won't be exposed this week, but we need to shore up some things

• Like 1