Vs Alabama A&M Post Game Thread

2 hours ago, bishoptf said:

He missed some wide open throws but he also had plenty of time to make decisions. I really hope the play callers and offensive line can give him enough time to make good decisions. After some of the games last year I was really concerned and still am about how he is going to do in more contested games. I hope that the coaches and OL have improved enough that he can have a better year, will have to wait and see how it plays out.

Without a doubt. Once the offensive line gets beat... This was like a MSU game when they won a lot of games and he was a better passer. I'll add that possessions will also decrease when the other team's offense overwhelms our DL.  

2 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

Without a doubt. Once the offensive line gets beat... This was like a MSU game when they won a lot of games and he was a better passer. I'll add that possessions will also decrease when the other team's offense overwhelms our DL.  

This is why Thorne and the receivers must not have any issues with drops, or bad throws when opportunity presents itself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

You will just bellyache about it not being 60. Did you like the shortened game? Thought it was a great move.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2024/08/31/auburn-football-and-alabama-am-shorten-quarters-for-second-half-of-blowout/75037429007/

I didn’t mind it at all. If there was any game that needed the application of a mercy rule that was it. 

I'm guessing Thorne's butt-chewing was for missing a wide open 3rd down pass with good protection. Can't miss those in SEC games. But he was money on deep throws, even if coverage had been tight. I would bet on our big receivers this year to win most of those one on ones. I think a couple of PT misses were due to communication issues. Not much practice time with our seven top receivers.  Brown was lucky on the Hail Mary that wasn't a Hail Mary, but he's  a gunslinger with a big arm. It could be an interesting battle between HB, WW, and DK if they all three are at AU in the Spring. WDE!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

The freeze four can potentially go down in infamy as the group of young men who really could change the guard with this program. People , imo, kept sleeping on Malcolm Simmons and Bryce (Don’t let the fumble fool you). I am excited to see how this team responds to adversity because just to be honest all the SEC teams with the exception of the aggies really impressed me. The SEC is going to be wild this year. 

I now know why Caleb Burton was released from OSU and wasn't getting playing time here. He was super fast in high school, not anymore due to knee injury.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

The freeze four can potentially go down in infamy as the group of young men who really could change the guard with this program. People , imo, kept sleeping on Malcolm Simmons and Bryce (Don’t let the fumble fool you). I am excited to see how this team responds to adversity because just to be honest all the SEC teams with the exception of the aggies really impressed me. The SEC is going to be wild this year. 

Gamecock?😎

49 minutes ago, autan said:

I'm guessing Thorne's butt-chewing was for missing a wide open 3rd down pass with good protection. Can't miss those in SEC games. But he was money on deep throws, even if coverage had been tight. I would bet on our big receivers this year to win most of those one on ones. I think a couple of PT misses were due to communication issues. Not much practice time with our seven top receivers.  Brown was lucky on the Hail Mary that wasn't a Hail Mary, but he's  a gunslinger with a big arm. It could be an interesting battle between HB, WW, and DK if they all three are at AU in the Spring. WDE!!!

Looking back, the defense had jumped offsides. So that was a free play. 
It wasn’t mentioned by the stellar announcing crew we had.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WarTiger said:

for well over 20 years we have ALWAYS locked the football game thread when the game is over.  Anybody on the board that wants to discuss the game further can start a post game thread.

That is not entirely true. There were several games last season after a loss that all was abandoned and the game thread was left open to hopefully flame out on its own. 

I'm as happy as everyone else about this game. Sure was fun seeing all of our QBs and receivers out there opening it up.

But I'm still wait-and-see regarding Thorne and the OL. Yes, PT completed some long balls. Our new receivers are legit. Our OL handled AA&M all game.

Even so, PT only completed 62% of his passes, and that was with no real pressure against a very inferior defense. To me, that was not as impressive as I would have expected.

So I'm gonna wait and see how he and the OL do against a real defense. I'm not sure if that will be Cal or Pigs, but Oklahoma for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great game as everyone has said. Been a long time since we handled one of these games like we're suppose to.

If I had one nit to pick it would be the running game. Outside the one long TD that Hunter had our run game was virtually non-existent. We have two really good backs, but run blocking was very poor. I would have liked more balance.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DAG said:

People most definitely sleeping on Malcolm, been saying it since day 1. IMO he is going to be the best of the four.

20 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

I liked the fact that now we have receivers that can get open and catch. Every one of those guys are fast.

Except Caleb Burton. Probably could be fast.

6 hours ago, AURex said:

Even so, PT only completed 62% of his passes, and that was with no real pressure against a very inferior defense. To me, that was not as impressive as I would have expected.

That’s pretty much what he’s been his whole career.

To me the most telling play of the game was Caleb Burton's catch. Last year we thought he was one of the faster receivers. All the new WRs were practically jogging and still running away from a&m. Burton looked like slow motion in quicksand and was easily caught from behind. WRs really really sucked last year

• Like 1

Can't wait to see Simmons on a jet sweep. Thompson looks like a TE with great speed.

Thorne did a solid job. He was 62% but really only a couple of bad thows. The third down where he had time and ball was high but receiver got two hands on it. Fairweather had a couple one he should have caught and one great play by defender. Another to Coleman where ball was where it needed to be but defender got a hand on it.

What this showed me is Thorne is a solid to really good Qb with open receivers and a great pocket and he had a couple of good runs.

Next step is how Thorne handles a pocket breaking down and less wide open receivers.

Last year he didn't have open receivers or time. I think the new receivers will help him against tougher teams I am not sure about O-line yet when we get better opponents.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

After further consideration I’m slightly concerned about the running game.  Outside of Hunter’s big run and a couple Qb keeps the running game didn’t look overly impressive.  Specifically Damari.  Maybe it was by design or maybe I’m too used to Gus running for 250+ on teams like this?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

After further consideration I’m slightly concerned about the running game.  Outside of Hunter’s big run and a couple Qb keeps the running game didn’t look overly impressive.  Specifically Damari.  Maybe it was by design or maybe I’m too used to Gus running for 250+ on teams like this?  

When receivers are wide open why run. My preference is a balanced offence. A good offensive coordinator sees that DB's don't have the horses so goes for jugular which is what you should do.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 7:47 AM, Zeek said:

I think we were containing the QB more than trying hard to get a sack. Don’t know though. That stays a problem. 

Great night though. I was impressed with our defense. They had a lot of physical hits but they pulled up on a lot of potential kill shots. Thought we were very respectful despite dominating

We played D like the CTT Era. Forced the WRs to make plays and stuffed them on the line. We didn't play bend but don't break D. I have learned that I will fuss the most when we sit on our asses and give 8-12 yards cushion.

• Like 3

Freeze played a lot of offensive linemen. Hopefully they've figured out the Freeze Fearsome Fab Five OL.

I'm  100% sold on the Freeze Fab Four Frosh.  WDE!!

23 hours ago, autan said:

au, CHF said today he jumped him because his first read on that play was a stop route that was open, and PT didn't go to it.   He also said he wished he wasn't on TV all the time because his wife saw the clip and let CHF know her feelings about it.   You got to love wives who correctly try to keep us in our place.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, AURex said:

Even so, PT only completed 62% of his passes,

Rex, to add some perspective, 12 of PT's 13 completions were to guys who were not on the team last year i.e. he has had very little time to practice with them but still completed 62% of his passes.   If Fairweather catches the ball near midfield, which was a simple catch, PT is at 67% and if he catches the one in the end zone, a more difficult catch, PT is at 72%.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

After further consideration I’m slightly concerned about the running game.  Outside of Hunter’s big run and a couple Qb keeps the running game didn’t look overly impressive.  Specifically Damari.  

Hey Win, Damari only had 3 carries.   He gained 12 yards but one of the 3 carries was a TD from the 1.   Take that one carry away, and he averaged 6 YPC.   As a team, we averaged 9.8 YPC.   JH averaged 13.3, PT averaged 12.3 and JC averaged 8.7.   I hope this helps to ease the concern, grins.....

9 hours ago, Win4AU said:

A lot of the runs that we were trying to run were taken away in the RPO game, according to HF. In reality we probably could have just handed off to the RB , but Hugh is pounding the decision making part , so he won't complain if the QB makes the correct decision. That's a the first positive to me. The other thing he is stressing is that if our wide outs are in single coverage THIS year, they are open as far as he is concerned. That's a huge change from last year. We'll see what happens when we play better teams, but I love the changes in the offensive mind set. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
Bad autocorrect and worse proof reading
  • Like 2