What's the endgame for Bruce Pearl and his tweets?

al.com

Goodman: What's the endgame for Bruce Pearl and his tweets?

Updated: Aug. 28, 2024, 7:39 a.m.|Published: Aug. 28, 2024, 7:02 a.m.

7–8 minutes

Note: Joe vs. the Pro and the Hero returns on Thursday. Make your picks against the spread!

This is an opinion column.

Bruce Pearl, habitually online political junkie, is one of the most fascinating people in American sports.

He’s a future Hall of Famer, or at least should be, and the greatest basketball coach in the history of Auburn University. That’s pretty good stuff, especially considering his history.

Pearl was fired by Tennessee in 2011 amid a controversy of his own making and then slapped with a show-cause penalty by the NCAA.

He couldn’t coach for three years. Auburn was desperate and they gave him a job. Turns out, Auburn and Pearl are a great fit.

Ah, cheers to the duality of man.

America loves a good comeback story, and Pearl has comebacks from his comebacks.

I love pretty much everything about Pearl, and especially his outspoken support of Israel, but some of these tweets lately are — what’s the best way to put this — not about basketball.

Earlier this week, Pearl used social media to endorse the election-year rhetoric of Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Arkansas). I’m not going to get lost in the weeds over Pearl’s tweet. I’m told a lot of fans didn’t like it. A lot of fans probably did. Personally, I don’t care. To sum it all up, Pearl isn’t voting for Kamala Harris.

Next week, or tomorrow, or today, or within the next hour, or every 30 seconds, Pearl will tweet his opinions about more topics related to politics. He believes what he wants. He says what he wants. That’s his right, and good for him.

But what’s the endgame with all this?

Why is Pearl, a massively popular public figure in Alabama, hellbent on involving himself with politics?

Where is this all going?

Pearl uses his celebrity as a high-profile employee of a public university to espouse political ideology. I think we can all agree that Auburn University doesn’t exist to amplify the politics of its employees.

It’s problematic, but we’ve seen it before.

When Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Alabama) was a coach, he used that platform to insert himself into the political discourse of the day. What happened next? After Tubs retired, he used his celebrity to get elected.

Considering the trend of former Auburn coaches and politics, it’s fair to question Pearl’s motives.

What’s the goal here for Pearl? Does he have a future in politics? Is he going to tweet himself into the news again and again during an election year? Last year, considering his public criticisms of the Biden Administration, I asked him point blank if he had political aspirations. It was at SEC Media Day. He deflected the question, saying he only wanted to talk about basketball.

That’s not the case, though. Based on his media profile, Pearl wants everyone to know where he stands politically at all times.

Goodman: The new threat facing Alabama and Auburn

Goodman: Is Kalen DeBoer insane or just crazy?

Goodman: Where should Alabama and Auburn play international games?

Goodman: For one angry coach, college football is a bloody business

Goodman: When will Auburn have a quarterback better than Bo Nix?

Pearl can have it both ways if he wants. No one is going to stop him from tweeting. I’d argue that there isn’t a coach in the country with better job security. He might even be more beloved than Nick Saban in Alabama. Pearl has made Auburn basketball a national brand. It’s one of the best stories in college basketball over the last 10 years.

As for his politics, Pearl’s beliefs align with some of Auburn’s biggest donors. If he wanted to run for office, he’d probably have no trouble raising plenty of money for the cause.

When I asked Pearl if he would ever run for office, he didn’t say no.

Saban has friends in politics, but he mostly stays away from that arena. When Saban was a coach, every decision he made boiled down to one question. Will it help him land the best recruits in the country?

Do the tweets help Pearl with recruiting?

If it’s basketball recruiting we’re talking about, then the answer is not at all. If we’re talking about recruiting a political base, then Pearl has been busy.

It’s a good thing for Nate Oats and Alabama that Pearl spends so much time online. Could you imagine if Pearl was only focused on basketball?

Pearl was the first coach to lead a team from Alabama to the Final Four. The Tigers’ run in 2019 set into motion the greatest era of college basketball in the history of the state. Alabama reached the Final Four for the first time back in March.

This upcoming season of college basketball will be another showcase for the state. It’s an election year, though. Based on Pearl’s online activity, that probably gives Alabama the advantage.

MAILBAG

• Thanks 1

for the record i posted this in the basketball section and it got moved. not upset just clarifying ..........   i seldom come to the polite side...

Let freedom ring. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

for the record i posted this in the basketball section and it got moved. not upset just clarifying ..........   i seldom come to the polite side...

Good article fidy.

• Like 2

Fact:  Pearl's political tweets are most definitely not increasing his effectiveness as Auburn's head BB coach.  If anything, they detract from it.

That he is apparently willing to sacrifice some of his effectiveness to indulge these political aspirations or feelings is deeply disappointing to me. 

I also find his use of Auburn University as a platform/identifier disturbing. (See above article.)  I should think the money he earns from his position would preclude such behavior.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I think it is just as relevant there, if not more so.

I mean, who really gives a s*** about who our coaches vote for?  It's the publicity that's the problem.  And the publicity involves Auburn BB.

• Like 2

From the standpoint of Mr. Goodman’s reach and influence as a sports writer: he stirred up 💩 when Bryan Harsin was evasive about his COVID vax stance/status, and blamed the then-AU coach for not using his position of exposure to adamantly stand for “what was right,” etc.

Fast forward 3 years…same writer, same university, different coach. Now it’s unbecoming of Pearl to use his position of exposure to stand for what he (Pearl) thinks is right.

That’s a douchey double standard. To answer Mr. Goodman’s rhetorical question: no, Bruce’s tweets will have no effect on his recruiting, coaching, or leadership effectiveness. The recruits and transfers that he brings in know what he is about, and they’re obviously cool with it (until they brick most of their Rec-League looking 3-pt attempts and transfer to a rival).

His online political commentary only annoys and/or pisses-off liberal hack “journalists” who are compensated and directed to generate articles that pretend like the majority of the State of Alabama has the political sensibilities of Massachusetts.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

image.gif.e47af0a447c73827b5352fed1b4481cc.gif

Judge much? 

15 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Judge much? 

Well, let's examine it. 

Do you really think the point in this thread is whether of not Bruce has the "freedom" to publish whatever he wants?

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

I think it’s somewhat fair to compare the BP to the Kerr situation - though BP is a state employee. And both can get away with it because of the red/blue states that they’re in. Honestly I wish every thing that is celebrity would just shut up and coach, or be a player, or be an actor, or anything else that gives them a platform - but no more substance on the subject than any cashier.

22 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

From the standpoint of Mr. Goodman’s reach and influence as a sports writer: he stirred up 💩 when Bryan Harsin was evasive about his COVID vax stance/status, and blamed the then-AU coach for not using his position of exposure to adamantly stand for “what was right,” etc.

Fast forward 3 years…same writer, same university, different coach. Now it’s unbecoming of Pearl to use his position of exposure to stand for what he (Pearl) thinks is right.

That’s a douchey double standard. To answer Mr. Goodman’s rhetorical question: no, Bruce’s tweets will have no effect on his recruiting, coaching, or leadership effectiveness. The recruits and transfers that he brings in know what he is about, and they’re obviously cool with it (until they brick most of their Rec-League looking 3-pt attempts and transfer to a rival).

His online political commentary only annoys and/or pisses-off liberal hack “journalists” who are compensated and directed to generate articles that pretend like the majority of the State of Alabama has the political sensibilities of Massachusetts.

1) You blame the source rather than the substance (Bruce's behavior).

2) You dismiss the potential of it doing harm and assume everyone is "cool" with it.

Anytime you take a public partisan position on politics, there will naturally be a faction of people who are turned off by it.  No doubt there are players or potential players in this case - along with their families - who disagree with it. 

So, why do it?  It's the same as putting up campaign posters in your place of business. It's unprofessional. 

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

Regardless of how you lean politically, Pearls posts in this case are just not very smart. For so many reasons. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ar17ms said:

Regardless of how you lean politically, Pearls posts in this case are just not very smart. For so many reasons. 

I agree. I have never appreciated “personalities” or “celebrities” speaking out publicly from their platform of fame. However, I personally believe in this case, Pearl is not being respectful of his position.

JMHO

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Well, let's examine it. 

Do you really think the point in this thread is whether of not Bruce has the "freedom" to publish whatever he wants?

I think the point of this thread is to criticize Bruce for expressing his opinion.  Examine that one. ☝️ 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Hope not. Some people need to grow some thicker skin. Period 

1 minute ago, autigeremt said:

I think the point of this thread is to criticize Bruce for expressing his opinion. (publicly) Examine that one. ☝️ 

Correct.  For reasons which should - by now - be obvious.

No one has suggested he didn't - or shouldn't - have the "freedom" to do so, just that it wasn't very smart.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Hope not. Some people need to grow some thicker skin. Period 

Thicker skin? 

You mean Kamala? She's the only one he directly insulted.

Or are you referring to potential recruits and their families who support Kamala, whom he insulted indirectly and by inference? 

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

Thicker skin? 

You mean Kamala? She's the only one he directly insulted.

Or are you referring to potential recruits and their families who support Kamala, whom he insulted indirectly and by inference? 

In general. Come out and get a breath of fresh air, homers. 

• Dislike 1

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

Correct.  For reasons which should - by now - be obvious.

No one has suggested he didn't - or shouldn't - have the "freedom" to do so, just that it wasn't very smart.

It’s very American of him. 

30 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

It’s very American of him. 

To be not smart?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/28/2024 at 2:30 PM, tigeraddikt said:

Bryan Harsin made foolish and ill-informed statements, and openly refused to follow an employer mandate.

Bruce Pearl’s starting down that road, hope he stops.

• Like 1

Can't see how it helps at all to be honest. Can only, and will only, hurt. Disappointing because I'm one of the few AU fans who gets more excited for hoops than football. I don't care if the coaches of the teams I like have similar political sensibilities as me, I just want to see a winner.

And I feel this doesn't help AU win as it will likely affect how players, and more importantly their parents, view AU and the leadership within the basketball program. 

• Like 2