Jimbo Fisher looking for ‘right opportunity’

al.com

Jimbo Fisher looking for ‘right opportunity’ to coach next season

Updated: Aug. 26, 2024, 10:58 a.m.|Published: Aug. 26, 2024, 10:58 a.m.

2–3 minutes

Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher walks on the field during warm ups before an NCAA college football game against Mississippi in Oxford, Miss., Saturday, Nov. 4, 2023. (AP Photo/Thomas Graning)AP

Jimbo Fisher isn’t done with coaching.

The former Texas A&M coach told ESPN Radio that he is open to coaching next season.

“There is only so much you can hunt and fish before you want to get back in,” Jimbo Fisher told ESPN Radio’s “Unsportsmanlike with Evan, Canty and Michelle” on Monday.

Fisher, who won the national championship with Florida State, said he’ll be watching film this year and will see if the “right opportunity” is out there next season.

“I miss the relationships,” he explained. I miss practice. I mean you miss the games and the competition. You want to do that, but, as a coach, you miss the day-to-day interactions with our players.”

Fisher, who coached the Aggies between 2018 and 2023, went 45-25 overall and 27-21 in SEC play, but, with the job, came high expectations. At the start of his stint, Fisher was given a “national championship” plaque with only the year to be added. It never worked out.

Instead, Texas A&M fired Fisher 10 games into the 2023 season, and he received a $77.5 million buyout.

“I’m still young enough,” the 58-year-old Fisher said. “I’ll be ready to roll again pretty soon.”

Mark Heim is a reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim. He can be heard on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 FM in Mobile or on the free Sound of Mobile App from 6 to 9 a.m. daily.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

At the start of his stint, Fisher was given a “national championship” plaque with only the year to be added.
😬

The jinx of all jinx’

Yeah, there's only so much you can do with $77.5 million in your bank account. hahaha

I've seen a few journalists predicting Baylor will fire Dave Aranda this year and they think Jimbo could get that job. Jimbo has said he won't leave the state of Texas because he owns 2 ranches there and his family loves it. Not sure how he would like Waco, Texas. 

11 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I've seen a few journalists predicting Baylor will fire Dave Aranda this year and they think Jimbo could get that job. Jimbo has said he won't leave the state of Texas because he owns 2 ranches there and his family loves it. Not sure how he would like Waco, Texas. 

One of the ranches is about an hour from waco

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Not sure how he would like Waco, Texas. 

Anywhere is fantastic when you can afford a helicopter flying you to an airport or somewhere else.  No one has to like Waco, they just have to tolerate it, while making millions in the process.

• Like 1