Staff differences

LPTiger

40 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

If you don't like any discussion or comparisons to UA, stop reading now.   In the recruiting forum it is duly noted that we are killing it in in-state recruiting.   I feel sure we have never had 8 of the top 10 players in the state committed to us at one time (and could very well be 9 soon).  Why are we witnessing such a sea change?  There are many factors in play but IMO one key factor is the composition of our staff.   Of our 11 on field staff, 8 have either played or coached in the SEC -- and several of them have coached in the SEC for a long time.   3 have direct state of Alabama ties -- 2 were born here (and one of the two played here) and one played here.  2 have previously coached at AU.  2 are former AU players -  one fairly recently and one from years ago.  Both coordinators either played and or coached in the SEC. 

UA's staff has 4 with previous SEC coaching experience.   One of the four, Maurice Linquist, spent 1 year at ATM as a cornerbacks coach.  Another is Christian Robinson with 4 years experience as an SEC coach.   Freddie Roach as 5 years and Robert Gillespie is their dean of SEC coaching as he has spent 8 years in the SEC.  So, the total staff has just 18 years of experience coaching in the SEC and building relationships in this conference.  Roach is the only one with Alabama ties.

So, UA has just 18 years of experience coaching in the SEC.   Combining just DNix and Crime gets us 30 years. 

In addition to SEC coaching experience one of our coach's other coaching experiences has helped him build meaningful relationships in Alabama.   Charles Kelly  -- Central HS assistant 2 years, Jacksonville State assistant 5 years, Eufaula high assistant 2 years, GA Tech assistant 7 years, FSU 5 years, UA 3 years.  Nearly all of Kelly's 34 year career has had him either coaching in Alabama or recruiting in Alabama and that sets him up to be very successful recruiting in this state.   Not only does he have established relationships, he has always been known as an outstanding recruiter.   247 has him listed with 9 5 star commits and 43 4 star commits. But as, if not more, important Kelly is beloved by one of our wealthiest donors.   This particular donor loves Auburn to the core.   His love for AU and Kelly has him as engaged as he has ever been. 

Other notable facts about our coordinators:  Durkin has been a coordinator at Florida, Michigan, Ole Miss (co) and ATM.  In 2012 he was named Rivals Recruiter of the Year.  He also has prior HC experience.   Austin -- played QB at Ole Miss and ranks 4th in passing yards at OM.  Interestingly, he is also 4th in all time passing yards in the CFL.   The guy obviously knows how to throw a football.  He spent 7 years as a head coach in the CFL and 3 years as the hard coach at Cornell.   He is originally from Brentwood, Tennessee.    

CHF has put together a very talented staff.    It knows how to recruit in the SEC and has established relationships in all Alabama high schools and the throughout the SEC.  Our staff's experience and relationships in the state and in the SEC puts UA's to shame.   UA's staff reminds me a lot of Mr. Potatoe Head's staff -- heavy on folks "who ain't from around here."   While we can rest assured our staff "will get ours" we can also sit back and watch from a distance to see how things go in west Alabama.   History is rarely wrong, and it teaches that if you can't keep your in-state talent, you have a tough row to hoe.

Sorry for the length and War Eagle. 

i enjoyed that.i feel like we are on the cusp of greatness. i think we take at least a giant step forward this year with much bigger things coming down the road. i have always loved auburn and nothing and no one has ever changed that and never will. we have been through some hard times and this is fixing to change. we are going through a major hard freeze and after every hard freeze new life grows and turns the world green and beautiful again. this is where i feel we are headed. i have been down for a while tho i pull hard for my boys but let me say this..."It's great to be an Auburn Tiger and better days are coming. It is time to start believing again........"WAR EAGlE!!!!!!!!

if that does not fire you up take a gummy and call me in the morning............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

If you don't like any discussion or comparisons to UA, stop reading now.   In the recruiting forum it is duly noted that we are killing it in in-state recruiting.   I feel sure we have never had 8 of the top 10 players in the state committed to us at one time (and could very well be 9 soon).  Why are we witnessing such a sea change?  There are many factors in play but IMO one key factor is the composition of our staff.   Of our 11 on field staff, 8 have either played or coached in the SEC -- and several of them have coached in the SEC for a long time.   3 have direct state of Alabama ties -- 2 were born here (and one of the two played here) and one played here.  2 have previously coached at AU.  2 are former AU players -  one fairly recently and one from years ago.  Both coordinators either played and or coached in the SEC. 

UA's staff has 4 with previous SEC coaching experience.   One of the four, Maurice Linquist, spent 1 year at ATM as a cornerbacks coach.  Another is Christian Robinson with 4 years experience as an SEC coach.   Freddie Roach as 5 years and Robert Gillespie is their dean of SEC coaching as he has spent 8 years in the SEC.  So, the total staff has just 18 years of experience coaching in the SEC and building relationships in this conference.  Roach is the only one with Alabama ties.

So, UA has just 18 years of experience coaching in the SEC.   Combining just DNix and Crime gets us 30 years. 

In addition to SEC coaching experience one of our coach's other coaching experiences has helped him build meaningful relationships in Alabama.   Charles Kelly  -- Central HS assistant 2 years, Jacksonville State assistant 5 years, Eufaula high assistant 2 years, GA Tech assistant 7 years, FSU 5 years, UA 3 years.  Nearly all of Kelly's 34 year career has had him either coaching in Alabama or recruiting in Alabama and that sets him up to be very successful recruiting in this state.   Not only does he have established relationships, he has always been known as an outstanding recruiter.   247 has him listed with 9 5 star commits and 43 4 star commits. But as, if not more, important Kelly is beloved by one of our wealthiest donors.   This particular donor loves Auburn to the core.   His love for AU and Kelly has him as engaged as he has ever been. 

Other notable facts about our coordinators:  Durkin has been a coordinator at Florida, Michigan, Ole Miss (co) and ATM.  In 2012 he was named Rivals Recruiter of the Year.  He also has prior HC experience.   Austin -- played QB at Ole Miss and ranks 4th in passing yards at OM.  Interestingly, he is also 4th in all time passing yards in the CFL.   The guy obviously knows how to throw a football.  He spent 7 years as a head coach in the CFL and 3 years as the hard coach at Cornell.   He is originally from Brentwood, Tennessee.    

CHF has put together a very talented staff.    It knows how to recruit in the SEC and has established relationships in all Alabama high schools and the throughout the SEC.  Our staff's experience and relationships in the state and in the SEC puts UA's to shame.   UA's staff reminds me a lot of Mr. Potatoe Head's staff -- heavy on folks "who ain't from around here."   While we can rest assured our staff "will get ours" we can also sit back and watch from a distance to see how things go in west Alabama.   History is rarely wrong, and it teaches that if you can't keep your in-state talent, you have a tough row to hoe.

I'm assuming the initials of this big donor you speak of are BL.

1 hour ago, Shadow Tiger said:

I'm assuming the initials of this big donor you speak of are BL.

Sorry ST that is incorrect.   Think geography aka where was CK born and raised.   Draw a circle around that town that has a 30 mile radius.   Look at the outer eastern edge of that circle and there are 2 major donors there.  Both love CK.   One a little more than the other.

15 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Sorry ST that is incorrect.   Think geography aka where was CK born and raised.   Draw a circle around that town that has a 30 mile radius.   Look at the outer eastern edge of that circle and there are 2 major donors there.  Both love CK.   One a little more than the other.

Well, you could just tell us instead of all the cryptic clues:  

kermit-the-frog-looking-for-directions.g

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, LPTiger said:

You're post got me curious to look at recruiting rankings which I normally don't bother with till LOI time-ish.

And it made me sad :lol: 

We are 5th in the nation, out of every team in the country we are 5th. Sounds great.

We are 4th place in our conference... which is just ridiculous. 

35 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I'm assuming Jimmy Rane then, I'm unfamiliar with the other Abbeville resident.

21 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Well, you could just tell us instead of all the cryptic clues:  

kermit-the-frog-looking-for-directions.g

Never in daylight, but surrounded in sun.

Found first in unicorns, it is centered in fun.

6 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Of our 11 on field staff, 8 have either played o

5 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

Hopefully, Deboer turns out to be bama's Harsin. Backgrounds are certainly similar.

I think Deboer is a much better coach than Harsin. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Your getting close to home.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Shadow Tiger said:

I don't want to betray confidences, but I can confirm that Abbeville is within 30 miles of Ozark and JR is a huge fan of CK.   JR receives alot of grief from "Auburn faithful" but in my humble opinion we would be a shadow of our ourselves but for his love of Auburn.  Lester Killebrew is the other Abbeville donor.  That little town has been huge for us.   If we had similar donations per capita across the state, we would have 30 National Championships.  Just my opinion.   

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I don't want to betray confidences, but I can confirm that Abbeville is within 30 miles of Ozark and JR is a huge fan of CK.   JR receives alot of grief from "Auburn faithful" but in my humble opinion we would be a shadow of our ourselves but for his love of Auburn.  Lester Killebrew is the other Abbeville donor.  That little town has been huge for us.   If we had similar donations per capita across the state, we would have 30 National Championships.  Just my opinion.   

Here's to the 2024 season 🏈

14 hours ago, Ausburn2 said:

Your getting close to home.

The area used to be home for me.   I still have many friends there.   Lots of good Auburn people there!!!

• Love 1

12 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Not a single money contributor ever received grief from me. Bobby Lowder was okay in my book.

17 hours ago, Shadow Tiger said:

JW is also within that geographic window....and from just outside of Ozark...

On 8/25/2024 at 10:42 AM, LPTiger said:

Nail meet hammer.

There is no assistant more dangerous with bags in tow than Kelly. A big reason I wanted Prime was that he would bring Kelly. I was ecstatic the day I heard we got Kelly. Hope he will retire at AU.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2024 at 4:47 PM, Auburn93 said:

I think Deboer is a much better coach than Harsin. 

Well, I do too. But hopefully he won't be nearly up to their usual standards. 

1 hour ago, arktiger1975 said:

Well, I do too. But hopefully he won't be nearly up to their usual standards. 

Hate to break it to you guys, but bammer will be a good team again. Look at how long Les Miles and his clock management blunders had success at LSU after dink left them tons of talent post-2004.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Viper said:

Nail meet hammer.

There is no assistant more dangerous with bags in tow than Kelly. A big reason I wanted Prime was that he would bring Kelly. I was ecstatic the day I heard we got Kelly. Hope he will retire at AU.

VIPER spot on.   CK loves AU.  With or without financial support, he would succeed at AU.   With financial support, the sky is the limit.  @ellitor shocking.

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, Viper said:

Hate to break it to you guys, but bammer will be a good team again. Look at how long Les Miles and his clock management blunders had success at LSU after dink left them tons of talent post-2004.

Too much talent there not to be good. What I'm looking for is chinks in the armor. One 9-3 season, and the wolves will start to eat him for breakfast.  Those idiots ran Bill Curry off after a 10-1 year. It might not even take something that drastic. Miss the playoffs, or lose to Auburn, and all bets are off. The best scenario for us would be for Freeze to beat him this year in turd town.  If that happens Earnest T Houdstooth will break every window in his house.