Trump veteran comments spark controversy — again

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Are you that dense? Of course it was a copy and paste job. She never claimed to be the original author. 

I think she was just a bit ill with me and sent an email later in the evening. Obviously, she liked the story. You people...

A simple “She sent me this via email later in the evening/next day” in the original post would have removed all this silly back and forth; but I totally believe that’s what happened and a real exchange that you had.  

8 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

(ie Harris’s recent big gov idea to control food prices displayed a complete lack of understanding of how market dynamics work -

Wait a second now. Because if you ask anyone who is voting for Trump, Biden and Harris are responsible for food prices already (they aren’t). The free market isn’t working how it should, because companies trying to enter the market are getting choked out by massive corporations who are in turn all price gauging. 

The only way to fix the price of groceries is to regulate and punish companies who price gauge or to expect people to go without. That’s it. You can’t expect the market to work itself out through competition, because there is no competition anymore.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, Leftfield said:

Lol...you really are a total load.

Given how this thread has taken shape, I don't know how to take that. 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

A simple “She sent me this via email later in the evening/next day” in the original post would have removed all this silly back and forth; but I totally believe that’s what happened and a real exchange that you had.  

No argument on the point. Just didn't think it mattered. Still don't. Just a neighbor who didn't appreciate me asking why Trump. I changed the convo. She latter sent the email. 

Anyway, apparently we have little jerks who prefer to write their own versions. Shocking. 

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Wait a second now. Because if you ask anyone who is voting for Trump, Biden and Harris are responsible for food prices already (they aren’t). The free market isn’t working how it should, because companies trying to enter the market are getting choked out by massive corporations who are in turn all price gauging. 

The only way to fix the price of groceries is to regulate and punish companies who price gauge or to expect people to go without. That’s it. You can’t expect the market to work itself out through competition, because there is no competition anymore.

It is price gouging. Don’t know that there is a great deal of evidence to prove gouging from the start. Gouging happens at places like JHS. Trapped inside a stadium on a 93 degree day, water available at $5 a pop. Regulate and punish will insure no competition. 

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

It is price gouging. Don’t know that there is a great deal of evidence to prove gouging from the start. Gouging happens at places like JHS. Trapped inside a stadium on a 93 degree day, water available at $5 a pop. Regulate and punish will insure no competition. 

How much competition is happening if gouging works?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It’s rare that I disagree with that many points in just one post.  Probably best that I just stop there.

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

It’s rare that I disagree with that many points in just one post.  Probably best that I just stop there.

Good point.  He obviously knows nothing about how distribution works and what exactly (as unburdened says) “price gauging” 

10 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Given how this thread has taken shape, I don't know how to take that. 

that "depends"......get it? grins

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

How much competition is happening if gouging works?

Are you saying gouging or collusion across the board? I do not know enough about the grocery industry other than assume a decent level of competition.

11 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Are you saying gouging or collusion across the board? I do not know enough about the grocery industry other than assume a decent level of competition.

Not sure how widespread it is industry wide, but this recent revelation about Kroger is potentially concerning in my opinion. Includes using AI to charge you and I different prices while we’re in the store at the same time. I’m not a fan of price controls but this looks like the type of thing we should get out front of. 

https://www.thestreet.com/retail/kroger-has-alarming-plans-for-digital-price-tags-lawmakers-say

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/10-companies-control-the-food-industry-2016-9

https://www.reuters.com/business/how-four-big-companies-control-us-beef-industry-2021-06-17/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/errolschweizer/2024/02/07/why-your-groceries-are-still-so-expensive/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Not sure how widespread it is industry wide, but this recent revelation about Kroger is potentially concerning in my opinion. Includes using AI to charge you and I different prices while we’re in the store at the same time. I’m not a fan of price controls but this looks like the type of thing we should get out front of. 

https://www.thestreet.com/retail/kroger-has-alarming-plans-for-digital-price-tags-lawmakers-say

“These digital price tags may enable Kroger and other grocery chains to transition to ‘dynamic pricing,’ in which the price of basic household goods could surge based on the time of day, the weather, or other transitory events”.

This is concerning. I buy fried chicken every game day in the fall from the Auburn Kroger. 

• Like 1

The way you finance a growing deficit is to print money.  Pretty simple. Buts its inflationary. So when prices go up it’s always easier to demonize companies than deal with the problem and control the debt - so the government tries to haphazardly intervene and regulate prices. A domino effect starts, currency devalues, capital dries up, and the economy begins to collapse.

Latin American countries cycle for the past 75 years.  And it’s heading north.

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2024 at 6:52 AM, aubiefifty said:

that "depends"......get it? grins

Not really. But when you call someone out via misinterpretation, man up and admit your mistake. This isn't complicated. You either have integrity or you don't.

• Like 1