Trump veteran comments spark controversy — again

This guy is a real piece of sh*t. And so is anyone who votes for him at this point.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This guy is a real piece of sh*t. And so is anyone who votes for him at this point.

It's a pattern by now. He thinks that anyone that dies at war is a loser. Like it's a video game. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cbo said:

It's a pattern by now. He thinks that anyone that dies at war is a loser. Like it's a video game. 

Psychopathic behavior 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Well, can't agree with the second point. True, it's hard to understand, but I know some good people that will be voting for him. Don't want to get too deep into it, but I'll just say that the premise of what this country should be drives much of our differences (if your premise is different, the logic that follows will not make sense).

Regardless, what I find truly hysterical is that Trump has been all about appearance his entire life, particularly assigning that as the only real worth for females, and now in addition to acting like a sack of s**t he literally looks like one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Well, can't agree with the second point. True, it's hard to understand, but I know some good people that will be voting for him. Don't want to get too deep into it, but I'll just say that the premise of what this country should be drives much of our differences (if your premise is different, the logic that follows will not make sense).

Regardless, what I find truly hysterical is that Trump has been all about appearance his entire life, particularly assigning that as the only real worth for females, and now in addition to acting like a sack of s**t he literally looks like one.

Sorry, no, I’m not going to let you by with that. Maybe in 2016 there were some good people who got fooled.

In 2024, voting for Trump just reveals a$$holes with a “good person” fake veneer

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, alanevans said:

Sorry, no, I’m not going to let you by with that. Maybe in 2016 there were some good people who got fooled.

In 2024, voting for Trump just reveals a$$holes with a “good person” fake veneer

Considering you don't know the people I'm talking about, I think my judgement of their character is just a tinge more valid than yours.

You also seem to be insinuating that the people I'm referring to are fooled. They aren't. They know who Trump is, and don't like him, but have been convinced the Democratic Party is worse. As Homer said (though he said it in reference to our support of Biden and Harris), it's a choice, not an affirmation.

Clearly you and I agree on many things politically, but if you truly believe that anyone who votes for Trump isn't worth knowing, then you're a big part of the problem in this country.

12 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Considering you don't know the people I'm talking about, I think my judgement of their character is just a tinge more valid than yours.

You also seem to be insinuating that the people I'm referring to are fooled. They aren't. They know who Trump is, and don't like him, but have been convinced the Democratic Party is worse. As Homer said (though he said it in reference to our support of Biden and Harris), it's a choice, not an affirmation.

Clearly you and I agree on many things politically, but if you truly believe that anyone who votes for Trump isn't worth knowing, then you're a big part of the problem in this country.

Never said that your “friends” aren’t worth knowing..you just need to recognize that they’re a$$holes. That doesn’t mean irredeemable….but repentance is necessary.

And if you are in fact enlightened and not playing games, you should be part of redeeming them…first by holding them accountable.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, alanevans said:

Never said that your “friends” aren’t worth knowing..you just need to recognize that they’re a$$holes. That doesn’t mean irredeemable….but repentance is necessary.

And if you are in fact enlightened and not playing games, you should be part of redeeming them…first by holding them accountable.

What's funny is that you write this and then call them a$$holes.

Apparently you're in the habit of having friends who are a$$holes. I'm not. I would also never expect them to "repent" if they eventually come to agree with me.

In terms of holding them accountable...why do you assume political issues haven't been discussed? I've had my say about why I'm supporting the Democrats, and they've had theirs, but none of us push it so far that we become angry at each other, because we want to remain friends. Do you think it would be more effective for me to piss them off and ruin our friendships, so that they no longer have that point of view to hear and go further into an echo chamber?

You might want to come down off your high horse and realize that political stances are not the end-all of human worth.

Edited by Leftfield
  • Like 1

Heck, at this point, I am more concerned with losing family than I am friends. :rolleyes:

My friends don't support Trump.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

“That’s the highest award you can get as a civilian. It’s the equivalent of the Congressional Medal of Honor,” Trump said Thursday. “But [the] civilian version, it’s actually much better because everyone [who] gets the Congressional Medal of Honor, they're soldiers. They’re either in very bad shape because they’ve been hit so many times by bullets or they’re dead.”

I agree with the statement though.

If someone told me tomorrow I'm gonna earn one of those awards I'd hope it was the civvy one, cause a MoH means I'm most likely dead.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Heck, at this point, I am more concerned with losing family than I am friends. :rolleyes:

My friends don't support Trump.  

Here's the thing....if I had never moved from where I grew up, I can't say what my political leanings would be right now. I'd like to think I wouldn't support Trump and could see him for the threat he is, but there are plenty of intelligent, well-meaning people out there who do support him. I am not arrogant enough to believe that I am above all of these people. Acting like I am, and cutting off communication with them, only reinforces division and polarizes us more.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Here's the thing....if I had never moved from where I grew up, I can't say what my political leanings would be right now. I'd like to think I wouldn't support Trump and could see him for the threat he is, but there are plenty of intelligent, well-meaning people out there who do support him. I am not arrogant enough to believe that I am above all of these people. Acting like I am, and cutting off communication with them, only reinforces division and polarizes us more.

That's cause you're normal man.

The weirdos are the ones who brag about removing friends from their lives, or disowning family because they have a difference in political beliefs or vote for a different candidate than them.

8 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

I'd say those intelligent, well-meaning people have a severe blind spot in their perception/judgement/education. 

That doesn't mean they are ineligible to be casual friends, but to me, a real or serious friend is someone you can confide in completely and don't need to avoid subjects as serious as politics or religion. 

You can relax with them.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

What's funny is that you write this and then call them a$$holes.

Apparently you're in the habit of having friends who are a$$holes. I'm not. I would also never expect them to "repent" if they eventually come to agree with me.

In terms of holding them accountable...why do you assume political issues haven't been discussed? I've had my say about why I'm supporting the Democrats, and they've had theirs, but none of us push it so far that we become angry at each other, because we want to remain friends. Do you think it would be more effective for me to piss them off and ruin our friendships, so that they no longer have that point of view to hear and go further into an echo chamber?

You might want to come down off your high horse and realize that political stances are not the end-all of human worth.

If your friends voted for Trump in 2016, and 2020, and are still leaning that way.,,,they are by definition a$$holes and in need of serious correction and help.

I put up with that nonsense from some family and lifelong “friends “ until COVID and January 6….

Now I choose to spare myself from associating with them.

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I'd say those intelligent, well-meaning people have a severe blind spot in their perception/judgement/education. 

I agree, but I'm also aware they think the same about us.

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That doesn't mean they are ineligible to be casual friends, but to me, a real or serious friend is someone you can confide in completely and don't need to avoid subjects as serious as politics or religion. 

You can relax with them.

And with some of them, I can. There are certainly degrees, and with some friends I do keep conversation away from politics, but I don't find that unusual. 

Back when I leaned conservative I was often at odds with some of my family, and we would steer conversation away from politics, but that didn't mean we didn't love or couldn't confide in each other.

2 minutes ago, alanevans said:

If your friends voted for Trump in 2016, and 2020, and are still leaning that way.,,,they are by definition a$$holes and in need of serious correction and help.

I reiterate....you don't know them. Your judgement of their character is invalid. And you have a strange definition of a$$hole. To me, a person who would judge someone they don't even know, based on one data point, would be a far better definition.

6 minutes ago, alanevans said:

I put up with that nonsense from some family and lifelong “friends “ until COVID and January 6….

Now I choose to spare myself from associating with them.

Your choice. Hope it works for you in the long run.

I don’t agree that people who vote for trump are automatically dumb or a**holes. 

I have a lot of family and friends in my life who I know are overall good people, but who vote Republican every election, every time, no matter what. 

It’s mainly cultural and the way they grew up. Most of them have been taught from the time that they could talk or understand things that evangelical Christianity was true and social conservative politics and ideas were Christian. 

it’s very very hard for people to suddenly turn away from what they’ve been conditioned to believe their entire lives. 

There absolutely are terrible people who are voting for Trump cause they want him to harm minorities, poor people, non-Christian’s, etc. those people are a**holes, but I don’t believe that those people make up a majority of Trump voters. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I don’t agree that people who vote for trump are automatically dumb or a**holes. 

I have a lot of family and friends in my life who I know are overall good people, but who vote Republican every election, every time, no matter what. 

Ite mainly cultural and the way the ey grew up. Most of them have been taught from the time that they could talk or understand things that evangelical Christianity was true and social conservative politics and ideas were Christian. 

it’s very very hard for people to suddenly turn away from what they’ve been conditioned to believe their entire lives. 

There absolutely are terrible people who are voting for Trump cause they want him to harm minorities, poor people, non-Christian’s, etc. those people are a**holes, but I don’t believe that those people make up a majority of Trump voters. 

Too funny.

You say they’re not automatically dumb or a$$holes, then give a scenario that is clearly and example of being dumb (ignorant might be more appropriate)

and then agree that some Trump voters are, in fact, a$$holes.

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

“That’s the highest award you can get as a civilian. It’s the equivalent of the Congressional Medal of Honor,” Trump said Thursday. “But [the] civilian version, it’s actually much better because everyone [who] gets the Congressional Medal of Honor, they're soldiers. They’re either in very bad shape because they’ve been hit so many times by bullets or they’re dead.”

I agree with the statement though.

If someone told me tomorrow I'm gonna earn one of those awards I'd hope it was the civvy one, cause a MoH means I'm most likely dead.

That doesn’t make them equal or the civvy one ‘better’ though? 

I’d say it’s pretty obvious that the Medal of Honor is the most revered and honored of the two awards. You can get the Medal of Freedom for pretty much anything the president wants to give it to you for. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

I reiterate....you don't know them. Your judgement of their character is invalid. And you have a strange definition of a$$hole. To me, a person who would judge someone they don't even know, based on one data point, would be a far better definition.

Your choice. Hope it works for you in the long run.

Working out just fine, thank you very much…,no more “Bible study group” where public health policy, taxation, or voting account for 25% of conversations and ridiculous crap off of Fox news accounts for another 25%.

No more politely ignoring idiots who spout DJT talking points at Thanksgiving.

No more “gag gifts” like copies of Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter books at Christmas…

Basically no more a$$holes.

Edited by alanevans
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, alanevans said:

Too funny.

You say they’re not automatically dumb or a$$holes, then give a scenario that is clearly and example of being dumb (ignorant might be more appropriate)

and then agree that some Trump voters are, in fact, a$$holes.

Yes, ignorant is more appropriate for many. For some it's deliberate, for others it's simply lack of interest (for any number of reasons - tired of the circus, busy lives, don't know what information to trust. etc.). By definition, those of us who routinely participate on this board are more engaged and more aware of the issues. The average American is not, but you seem to think that they are because we are. It's frustrating, but you have to realize that dismissing every Trump voter out-of-hand is never going to encourage them to take another look at the issues, it will cause them to dig in deeper (just as we would).

31 minutes ago, alanevans said:

Working out just fine, thank you very much…,no more “Bible study group” where public health policy, taxation, or voting account for 25% of conversations and ridiculous crap off of Fox news accounts for another 25%.

No more politely ignoring idiots who spout DJT talking points at Thanksgiving.

No more “gag gifts” like copies of Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter books at Christmas…

Basically no more a$$holes.

Working out fine for both sides I would imagine. Would bet the house your choice made some people very happy.

Edited by SaltyTiger

16 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Working out fine for both sides I would imagine. Would bet the house your choice made some people very happy.

Guess the premise of Beetlejuice is valid..you use the word “a$$hole” 3 times and one shows up

Edited by alanevans
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Yes, ignorant is more appropriate for many. For some it's deliberate, for others it's simply lack of interest (for any number of reasons - tired of the circus, busy lives, don't know what information to trust. etc.). By definition, those of us who routinely participate on this board are more engaged and more aware of the issues. The average American is not, but you seem to think that they are because we are. It's frustrating, but you have to realize that dismissing every Trump voter out-of-hand is never going to encourage them to take another look at the issues, it will cause them to dig in deeper (just as we would).

Yes the guy is either a sociopath, nuts, or just an idiot. However, I think liberals miss the difficultly of the decision for many. The dem ticket is extremely liberal - socially liberal and fiscally liberal (ie Harris’s recent big gov idea to control food prices displayed a complete lack of understanding of how market dynamics work - scared the heck out of evonomists).  Also shes been a disaster of the border. Net, net for many she is a policy and ideological disaster.

So for many moderates and conservative never trumper’s - it’s a much tougher call than liberals might realize.

• Like 1