General NIL Thoughts & Discussion

5 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Oh geez! Not this topic again.

Well any time someone randomly interjects their NIL thoughts in a recruit's thread, their post & conversation will be moved to this thread or 1 like it as to not derail the recruit's thread. That's how & why this thread was started. The OP was in the Deuce Knight thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Oh geez! Not this topic again. My suspicion is that there is a particular generation, race and gender that wants to get their tightie whities all bunched up over young people getting compensated for the time and commitment they have sacrificed for a sport. 

Geez you got something against old farts???? My tightie whities aren't all bunched up I don't wear any..............now try to get that picture out of your head numnuts.

As for young people getting compensated I'm happy/all for it, as a matter of fact my NIL money goes to the golf teams male and female. As a reminder the men golf team just won the natty and the women finished 5th so I think I'm getting a good return on my NIL money.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I get this sentiment, but couldn't you say something similar like this, "I just believe it's absolutely absurd to pay any kid thousands or millions of dollars out of college who has not played 1 snap on an NFL team.  I believe they shouldn't get paid anything until maybe their third year, after they've proven their worth.  They still get valuable experience learning the playbook, practicing and learning from proven veterans."

There's just going to be risk anytime you take a talented athlete playing at one level and recruit/draft him to play at the next level.  There's nothing inherently wrong or bad about it happening with new college students as it is new NFL players.  

And that's exactly what Barkley said about NBA basketball. There should be a minimum salary until you prove your worth. For every LeBron there's 10 busts. Paraphrased liberally as I'm too lazy to look up the quote. 

I don't expect that to be the case, but in a sane world, it makes sense. 

20 hours ago, aujohnson said:

To slow down the portal madness I think you need binding contracts with buy outs and such. Seems like one of the few ways to protect both sides (team and player).

Totally agree. And I think it's coming in a few years. Being comfortable at a place will move up a players list when there's a price to be paid for entering the portal. If a school is gonna hire independent contractors, there will be contracts involved. IMO. 

Edited by JuscAUse!

37 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

And that's exactly what Barkley said about NBA basketball. There should be a minimum salary until you prove your worth. For every LeBron there's 10 busts. Paraphrased liberally as I'm too lazy to look up the quote. 

I don't expect that to be the case, but in a sane world, it makes sense. 

When did Barkley say that? All I ever heard him say is the NBA owners are giving out money like candy but the players should go after what they think they are worth. 

• Like 1

I remember my grandfather telling us how folks complained when Babe Ruth signed a $100,000 per year contract with the Yankees.  "$100,000 to play a damn game when we work in the coal mines for $2.00 and hour.  What the hell is going on?"

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 6:50 AM, ArgoEagle said:

I just believe it is absolutely absurd to pay any kid thousands, or millions of dollars out of high school who has not played 1 snap on a college football team.

I believe NIL should start maybe their Junior year, after they have proven their worth. 

What about the coaches? A lot of them are busts. Should we wait until their third season to pay them? We even pay most of them after they leave. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

When did Barkley say that? All I ever heard him say is the NBA owners are giving out money like candy but the players should go after what they think they are worth. 

Well, I was gonna look it up but all I get is stuff about his salary, and it never changes no matter how I word it. 

At one point he said something about a set salary the first year or so and then a wide open negotiation after you prove your self would be more fair to the veteran players , IIRC. But I've spent 10 minutes I'll never get back trying to prove it, and I'm done with it. So believe what you will. We'll both survive either way. 😉 And I have been wrong before, so there's that. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1

Just now, cbo said:

What about the coaches? A lot of them are busts. Should we wait until their third season to pay them? We even pay most of them after they leave. 

Correct, but both things can be true and wrong. There's a middle ground in both cases. That doesn't mean it will ever be found, though. 

27 minutes ago, cbo said:

Maybe shorten their contracts to start out at maybe 2 years, then renegotiate or part ways accordingly.   Another kind of apples to oranges comparison.

On 8/15/2024 at 8:50 AM, ArgoEagle said:

Also, how long do you think the donors supporting NIL from each school will pony up the dough before they say the well is dry?

There will be a relatively small number of programs willing to pay the steep buy-in every year to buy a class. Auburn is one of the programs willing and able to pay whatever price is needed to buy a talented roster. 

The problem should start with the greedy school administrators and the coaches. They tried to keep it all for themselves and the players fought back. I believe if they would’ve given even a little , the players would’ve been placated. They wisened up and realize the big money comes from the residuals from network payout now. 

• Like 4

On 8/16/2024 at 1:41 PM, DAG said:

The problem should start with the greedy school administrators and the coaches. They tried to keep it all for themselves and the players fought back. I believe if they would’ve given even a little , the players would’ve been placated. They wisened up and realize the big money comes from the residuals from network payout now. 

The money eventually comes from the average person or fan.   The money you pay for cable, internet and phone.  The money you spend on food and clothing and whatever else is sold.   Ticket sales and University licenses merchandise.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aubaseball said:

The money eventually comes from the average person or fan.   The money you pay for cable, internet and phone.  The money you spend on food and clothing and whatever else is sold.   Ticket sales and University licenses merchandise.  

The money  is ALWAYS  going to come from the fans. They are the foundation for all of this. Yet, everyone keeps watching , keeps going to games, etc, etc. 

Edited by DAG

On 8/16/2024 at 12:41 PM, DAG said:

I still think the problem is the players are still not getting a slice of the revenue they help generate. 

On 8/16/2024 at 8:31 AM, augolf1716 said:

Geez you got something against old farts???? My tightie whities aren't all bunched up I don't wear any..............now try to get that picture out of your head numnuts.

As for young people getting compensated I'm happy/all for it, as a matter of fact my NIL money goes to the golf teams male and female. As a reminder the men golf team just won the natty and the women finished 5th so I think I'm getting a good return on my NIL money.

I wasn't aware that a quarter would by a natty... 🤣

51 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I still think the problem is the players are still not getting a slice of the revenue they help generate. 

Unfortunately they may never will but with athlete revenue sharing soon, it is a start. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gctiger said:

I wasn't aware that a quarter would by a natty... 🤣

Hardy har har.................I've been fortunate was able to retire at 56 you know having all that stock in PBR helped as well as ABC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Hardy har har.................I've been fortunate was able to retire at 56 you know having all that stock in PBR helped as well as ABC.

I was just yanking your chain. 😉

I hope all is well with you and your family.

I was just yanking your chain. 😉

I know

I hope all is well with you and your family.

It is................... thanks 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Top tier 2026 recruit's mom has sued the state of NC regarding its legislation truncating NIL. Not sure how plaintiffs have standing in that one but probably the first trickle in a flood of NIL litigation. Congress MUST act IMHO to provide guideliens if nothing else, and soon.