General NIL Thoughts & Discussion

9 hours ago, jluvah said:

I hate what NIL has done to this game

Agreed, but I don't think we're going to be able to get that toothpaste back in the tube.

• Like 1

I just believe it is absolutely absurd to pay any kid thousands, or millions of dollars out of high school who has not played 1 snap on a college football team.

I believe NIL should start maybe their Junior year, after they have proven their worth.  They still get a free education whether they ever play or not if they are given a scholarship.

Also, how long do you think the donors supporting NIL from each school will pony up the dough before they say the well is dry?

Edited by ArgoEagle

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

I just believe it is absolutely absurd to pay any kid thousands, or millions of dollars out of high school who has not played 1 snap on a college football team.

I believe NIL should start maybe their Junior year, after they have proven their worth.  They still get a free education whether they ever play or not if they are given a scholarship.

Also, how long do you think the donors supporting NIL from each school will pony up the dough before they say the well is dry?

I get this sentiment, but couldn't you say something similar like this, "I just believe it's absolutely absurd to pay any kid thousands or millions of dollars out of college who has not played 1 snap on an NFL team.  I believe they shouldn't get paid anything until maybe their third year, after they've proven their worth.  They still get valuable experience learning the playbook, practicing and learning from proven veterans."

There's just going to be risk anytime you take a talented athlete playing at one level and recruit/draft him to play at the next level.  There's nothing inherently wrong or bad about it happening with new college students as it is new NFL players.  

• Like 3

Complaining about it is not going to change it. It’s here to stay, may be modified in the future though. Might as well get with the times. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I get this sentiment, but couldn't you say something similar like this, "I just believe it's absolutely absurd to pay any kid thousands or millions of dollars out of college who has not played 1 snap on an NFL team.  I believe they shouldn't get paid anything until maybe their third year, after they've proven their worth.  They still get valuable experience learning the playbook, practicing and learning from proven veterans."

There's just going to be risk anytime you take a talented athlete playing at one level and recruit/draft him to play at the next level.  There's nothing inherently wrong or bad about it happening with new college students as it is new NFL players.  

I see your sentiment also.  But I think that's an apples to oranges, since the pros are all about money & the college players get a free education.

1 minute ago, ArgoEagle said:

I see your sentiment also.  But I think that's an apples to oranges, since the pros are all about money & the college players get a free education.

Well, the era where a free college education was adequate in relation to how much money the players generate for others ended probably 20 years ago.  Once the rapid upswing in TV contracts for the SEC and others hit in the late 90s, it became less and less satisfactory to say that was adequate compensation.  Like it or not in this country, the way things usually work is that if you are the key reason that a s***-ton of money is being generated, you deserve a cut of that revenue.  

And that's where we're headed anyway.  The major conferences at least will soon sign off on a settlement surrounding this, players will be given a set percentage of overall revenue, NIL will basically come in house and stop being a legalized way for boosters to "pay for play" and NIL stuff that does remain will be legitimate things like corporate sponsorships, product endorsements, appearances in commercials and such.  Think things like Suni Lee being an Olympic medal winner coming back to Auburn and getting some amount from the revenue sharing agreement, but also being able to capitalize on her Olympic fame and promoting a new line of athletic wear with her name on it from Nike.  Or on a smaller scale, a well-liked starter (but not superstar) appears in some local TV commercials for a car dealer and makes a few thousand bucks for it.  Just not some NIL collective negotiating a deal to pay you to do nothing other than sign with their school.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Once players are get paid a stipend based off TV or other revenues I think the dust will settle. Your average player will not have near the leverage they do now. Transfer portal will slow down too. Only the elite will get sweet NIL deals. 

I could be wrong though but that seems possible. 

• Like 2

To slow down the portal madness I think you need binding contracts with buy outs and such. Seems like one of the few ways to protect both sides (team and player).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

It's a little different when the NFL is under a salary cap and the money is coming from NFL sources like advertising. Most people don't like the college NIL because the money is coming from a collective of people and it can create an even more unfair advantage. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

It's a little different when the NFL is under a salary cap and the money is coming from NFL sources like advertising. Most people don't like the college NIL because the money is coming from a collective of people and it can create an even more unfair advantage. 

There's nothing fair about college football nor will there ever be.  There has been and will always be schools with more tradition, more resources, more rich boosters, and so on and those with none of those things in place.  It's just a different animal altogether.  

But also, I think some of this dissatisfaction is coming from a place of cognitive dissonance - believing that NIL is appreciably different from what was happening for decades before.  Other than it being legal and openly talked about and the amounts being bigger than before, it really isn't.  Players were getting paid lots of money to play for this or that school all along, it was just happening under the table.  And the aforementioned schools that had deep pocket boosters were able to tilt the playing field in their school's favor compared to those who couldn't match them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

There's nothing fair about college football nor will there ever be.  There has been and will always be schools with more tradition, more resources, more rich boosters, and so on and those with none of those things in place.  It's just a different animal altogether.  

But also, I think some of this dissatisfaction is coming from a place of cognitive dissonance - believing that NIL is appreciably different from what was happening for decades before.  Other than it being legal and openly talked about and the amounts being bigger than before, it really isn't.  Players were getting paid lots of money to play for this or that school all along, it was just happening under the table.  And the aforementioned schools that had deep pocket boosters were able to tilt the playing field in their school's favor compared to those who couldn't match them.

My point was NFL isn't the right comparison. 

1 minute ago, AU Is Gold said:

My point was NFL isn't the right comparison. 

Ok.  But my point is, people get paid when moving to the next level in the field all the time with no prior experience at that level - which is what he specifically said.  It's just the way the world, and especially the sports world, works.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Ok.  But my point is, people get paid when moving to the next level in the field all the time with no prior experience at that level - which is what he specifically said.  It's just the way the world, and especially the sports world, works.

And it's a fine point. But where the money comes from is the issue. Collecting a large portion of your NIL from the fan base like a subscription service doesn't sit right with me. 

3 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

And it's a fine point. But where the money comes from is the issue. Collecting a large portion of your NIL from the fan base like a subscription service doesn't sit right with me. 

I think that's your issue and I acknowledge it, even though I'd reiterate that it's been happening for a long time before NIL anyway.  If where the money comes from was Argo's issue, he never said so.

19 hours ago, jluvah said:

I hate what NIL has done to this game

Would you prefer to go back to Chargers, suits and free housing for parents? That era really fared well for one side of this state. And the other not so much. 

P.S. Keep an eye on the recruiting rankings to see how much NIL has already and will continue to affect flipping those two programs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Donor fatigue is for reals.

• Thanks 1

Oh geez! Not this topic again. My suspicion is that there is a particular generation, race and gender that wants to get their tightie whities all bunched up over young people getting compensated for the time and commitment they have sacrificed for a sport. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Oh geez! Not this topic again. My suspicion is that there is a particular generation, race and gender that wants to get their tightie whities all bunched up over young people getting compensated for the time and commitment they have sacrificed for a sport. 

Absolutes are normally absolutely untrue. Lol

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Absolutes are normally absolutely untrue. Lol

Did that sting a little? 😁 

Edited by GreenTiger

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Not a bit, thats my point!! Lol

Just a hypothesis…. Maybe we can run a poll and test the theory 

50 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

So you think people who grew up with things a certain way think things should be a certain way? 
Profound. 😄

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, aujohnson said:

To slow down the portal madness I think you need binding contracts with buy outs and such. Seems like one of the few ways to protect both sides (team and player).

Agreed