Bo Nix on Denver Broncos debut: ‘It was a good day’

aubiefifty

al.com

Bo Nix on Denver Broncos debut: ‘It was a good day’

Updated: Aug. 11, 2024, 5:12 p.m.|Published: Aug. 11, 2024, 5:01 p.m.

6–7 minutes

Quarterback Bo Nix produced four scores in five possessions at the helm of the Denver offense on Sunday in his first action in a Broncos uniform.

The 12th selection in the NFL Draft on April 25, Nix made his pro debut in Denver’s 34-30 victory over the Indianapolis Colts in an NFL preseason game.

“I felt pretty good today,” Nix said. “I thought we executed well. The guys were in the right spots, and we moved the ball efficiently a large part of the day, and that usually turns into points, and so when you can get points in a game like that that’s kind of going back and forth, it’s always good.”

The former Pinson Valley High School and Auburn standout is competing to become the Broncos’ starting quarterback with Jarrett Stidham, who also played at Auburn, and former New York Jets starter Zach Wilson. All three quarterbacks played against the Colts.

“All three of those guys, I thought, did a good job,” Denver coach Sean Payton said. “… I think their decisions, for the most part, were good.”

After Stidham got the starting assignment, Nix made his first appearance with 3:11 left in the first half and the Broncos trailing 3-0. When he went to the bench after the first series of the second half, Denver had a 20-10 lead.

Nix completed 15-of-21 passes for 125 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions and ran for 17 yards on three carries.

Nix produced two touchdowns and two field goals while on the field for 36 snaps across five possessions. The lone possession with Nix at quarterback that did not end in points came when Denver lost a fumble after a completion.

Nix capped a 10-play, 56-yard drive with a 1-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Marvin Mims Jr. as Denver took a 10-3 lead with 4:51 left in the second quarter.

“It was a nice play by Marv,” Nix said. “He did a good job of getting to the corner, and we executed well. We’ve been practicing and repping that play quite a lot.”

The Broncos had gotten a field goal during Nix’s debut – a 10-play, 45-yard drive that included a 22-yard gain on his first completion – a third-and-10 throw on the run to wide receiver Courtland Sutton – and a fumbled snap by Nix at the Indianapolis 21-yard line.

“That was a big play, a big third-down conversion there,” Nix said. “Court did a good job of making his guy, he kind of fell off, and he had a good one-on-one. And then he did a good job of being aware of the sideline. I looked up and he was open. Those are always the good ones when you see an open guy. It’s just all about getting it to him at that point. That was a good conversion.”

Nix’s fourth series started with 1:24 left in the first half, and, with the help of a 29-yard defensive pass-interference penalty, Denver took a 13-10 halftime lead on Wil Lutz’s 27-yard field goal on the final snap of the second quarter.

Nix stayed in the lineup to open the second half and directed a 10-play, 56-yard touchdown drive. Nix completed all five of his passes on the possession, and rookie running back Audric Estime converted a fourth-and-1 run on the snap before he scored on a 2-yard plunge.

“It was a good day,” Nix said. “I thought we ran the ball efficiently, made some good plays in the pass game, converted some third downs, got points when we need to. It was a good job going into the half with points and then coming out with points. I felt like that was a good point in the game, but, overall, I thought we did a good job – a huge team win.”

Carson Tinker announces his retirement from the NFL

NFL Sunday roundup: Former Alabama tight end catches game-winning touchdown pass

Dak Prescott on Jalen Tolbert: ‘No telling how great he can be’ for Dallas Cowboys

Stidham completed 4-of-7 passes for 37 yards with no touchdowns and one interception.

Stidham took 11 non-penalty snaps on the opening two series. Two false-start penalties and a taunting penalty sidetracked the Broncos’ first possession. An offensive-holding penalty preceded cornerback Kenny Moore II’s interception of a pass that went off the hands of running back Samaje Perine on the second.

“You start with Stiddy, and he gets a tough break,” Payton said. “The ball bounces off Perine, and we’re in scoring position before Tim (Patrick)’s (taunting) penalty. We’re in scoring position; the penalty brings us out of scoring position.”

Wilson completed 10-of-13 passes for 117 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions.

Wilson took 31 non-penalty snaps in five possessions. The first ended with a fumble that Indianapolis returned for a touchdown. Denver rebounded with two TD drives around a punt, with the second score coming after the Colts lost a fumble at their 19-yard line. Wilson’s final series lasted 10 plays as the Broncos ran the last 4:11 off the clock while sitting on their four-point lead.

Denver quarterbacks were sacked 52 times in the 2023 season, with starter Russell Wilson sacked 45 times. Wilson was released in the offseason.

Indianapolis did not register any sacks on Sunday.

“The ball’s out,” Payton said. “I liked the timing, the tempo of when we’re releasing it. That was a big issue for us a year ago with the minus plays. We were towards the back half of the league … so I was pleased with the timing of what we were doing throwing the ball. It’s important.”

The Broncos continue their preseason schedule against the Green Bay Packers at 7 p.m. CDT Sunday at Empower Field at Mile High in Denver. Nix is scheduled to start the game, which will be televised by NFL Network.

FOR MORE OF AL.COM’S COVERAGE OF THE NFL, GO TO OUR NFL PAGE

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Bo did not play like a rookie yesterday. maybe the colts suck but still. wow!!!!! i felt a lot of pride watching him  yesterday and also some anger and sadness because i feel like we let BO down and the butt pimple known harsin.