Barkley changes his mind about retirement

al.com

Charles Barkley changes his mind about retirement from TV

Updated: Aug. 06, 2024, 12:59 p.m.|Published: Aug. 06, 2024, 12:56 p.m.

4–5 minutes

Charles Barkley arrives at the NBA Awards on June 24, 2019, at Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, Calif.(Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP,)

By

Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

With TNT Sports entering the final year of its deal to televise the NBA, Charles Barkley said in June that the 2024-2025 season would be his last in broadcasting, preferring to bow out with a 25th year on “Inside the NBA.”

“No matter what happens, next year’s going to be my last year on television,” Barkley had said.

But the former Auburn basketball star has changed his mind, and he and TNT announced Tuesday that Barkley will remain with the network for “many years to come.”

“I love my TNT Sports family,” Barkley said in a release from the network. “My No. 1 priority has been and always will be our people and keeping everyone together for as long as possible. We have the most amazing people, and they are the best at what they do. I’m looking forward to continuing to work with them both on the shows we currently have and new ones we develop together in the future. This is the only place for me.

“I have to say I’ve been impressed by the leadership team who is fighting hard and have been aggressive in adding new properties to TNT Sports, which I am very excited about. I appreciate them and all of my colleagues for their continued support, and most importantly our fans. I’m going to give my all as we keep them entertained for years to come.”

Warner Brothers Discovery is still battling to retain the rights to an NBA television package after the 2024-25 season. After the NBA announced rights deals with Disney, NBCUniversal and Amazon, Warner Brothers Discovery filed suit against the league, charging that the NBA had ignored the matching-rights provision granted to WBD in its current contract.

“Charles is one of the best and most beloved sportscasters in the history of television,” TNT Sports CEO Luis Silberwasser said in a release from the network. “I know I speak for all the members of the TNT Sports family when I say we are incredibly thrilled to share this mutual commitment to continue showcasing Charles’ one-of-a-kind talents and entertain fans well into the future. We continue to add to the breadth and depth of our sports portfolio, including new properties in the College Football Playoffs, Roland Garros, NASCAR, Big East college basketball, Mountain West football, among others, and it’s fantastic to have Charles for this journey as we develop new content ideas and shows for our fans.”

Former first-round pick from Auburn signs with New York Knicks

NBA 2K25 Summer League provides opportunity, experience

JT Thor, South Sudan nearly upset U.S. Olympic basketball team

A member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, Barkley is 61 years old.

Barkley went from Leeds High School to Auburn to the NBA as the fifth pick in the 1984 draft. He played for 16 seasons – the first eight with the Philadelphia 76ers, the next four with the Phoenix Suns and the final four with the Houston Rockets.

Barkley was selected for every NBA All-Star Game from 1987 through 1997; made first-team All-NBA in 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1993, second-team in 1986, 1987, 1992 and 1994 and third-team in 1996; and won the NBA MVP Award for the 1992-93 season.

In 1,073 NBA regular-season games, Barkley averaged 22.1 points, 11.7 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 1.5 steals and 0.8 blocks. In 123 playoff games, Barkley averaged 23.0 points, 12.9 rebounds and 3.9 assists.

Barkley’s 23,757 points rank 34th and 12,546 rebounds rank 20th in NBA history.

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.

• Love 1