"Payton's different"

WFE12

3 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

I'm not confident in Thorne. He made too many dumb mistakes regardless of the WR play and the offensive line. I can only hope to be proved wrong, but I doubt that happens. Why all of a sudden is everybody so high on this guy because of a couple of articles? 

Exactly.

giphy.gif

• Love 1

9 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

A huge 1 year improvement definitely wouldn't be unprecedented. Jason Campbell and Ben Leard come to mind. A lot of people had written those guys off, but they ended up very good QBs.

Took those guys 4 years and 2 years, respectively, for huge improvement to happen. And all Leard had to do was throw the go-route to Ronney Daniels in Athens, which accounted for nearly 1/5 of his total passing yards in 1999. And I wouldn't call Leard at 60.5% and a 12/10 TD/INT ratio his Senior season anywhere close to a "very good" QB. Those numbers are as pedestrian as it gets.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Viper said:

Took those guys 4 years and 2 years, respectively, for huge improvement to happen. And all Leard had to do was throw the go-route to Ronney Daniels in Athens, which accounted for nearly 1/5 of his total 1999 passing yards. And I wouldn't call Leard at 60.5% and a 12/10 TD/INT ratio his Senior season anywhere close to a "very good" QB. Those numbers are as pedestrian as it gets.

Ben Leard's improvement: 

He got horse collared so many times. 

Edited by Auburn93
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

Ben Leard's improvement: 

Yup. Leard was the QB of the 2000 Western Division Champions, but he never gets there without Rudi and a turrble Western Division.

Not buying into the hype much, but there was a version of Thorne in some games that was a more than capable QB. I don't have any advanced analysis, but it seemed like when they loosened him up with some plays that had runs as his 2nd or 3rd read, he seemed pretty comfortable. I feel like he became a guy later in the year that'd get activated when he runs into someone...

Hopefully they can find a closer mesh to Freeze's RPO desires and Thorne getting the ball out quicker. You'd think quick hitters should be amazing with the speed we have on this squad, but someone has to get them the ball 

3 hours ago, FreezeWarning said:

I think he’ll improve this season. I just don’t know how much he’ll improve

Honestly if he's like 6-8 in the new 16 team SEC and its QB order, Auburn should pretty comfortably get to that 7-8 win land that's been projected by many. But that's me also having faith that some of these other units are as rock solid as pundits have said lol

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

With the absence of Montgomery and the crazy Ashford substitution’s hopefully will help Thorne get in a better rhythm. This could advance faster with the microphone communication they are using now 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

And stop talking about the Heisman. Opposing fans screenshot that kind of stuff. I would rather you meltdown like Notre Dame fans over a QB flip than talk about Payton Thorne and the Heisman. 

That's a running joke going back to Bo Nix.  It's not that serious, I promise.  Especially if someone makes Message Board Genius on twitter

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Viper said:

Lotttttttttt of boneheaded plays last season, even with time to throw. The 3rd & 17 pass to Fairweather against Cal…perfect pocket…severely under-thrown. Fairweather made an incredible adjustment to catch it. Without that adjustment, we likely lose the game.

IMO, this is why Thorne had better numbers at MSU.  He basically had NFL WRs out play the DBs for bad balls.  Hopefully Cam/KLS/RF help him a lot

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, EastLakeTiger said:

IMO, this is why Thorne had better numbers at MSU.  He basically had NFL WRs out play the DBs for bad balls.  Hopefully Cam/KLS/RF help him a lot

And lots of time to throw against mediocre competition. MSU still had a bad season in 2022.

1 hour ago, EastLakeTiger said:

That's a running joke going back to Bo Nix.  It's not that serious, I promise.  Especially if someone makes Message Board Genius on twitter

Guess I should have caught that. It's going to be a wasted year riding with Thorne again. His decision making is a 3/10. You can't fix that. 

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

Guess I should have caught that. It's going to be a wasted year riding with Thorne again. His decision making is a 3/10. You can't fix that. 

It's pretty clear we tried our hardest to replace him before the bowl game then after his awful performance, but it's all we've got.  Hopefully Hugh in his ear helps his pre snap reads.

• Dislike 1

On 8/7/2024 at 4:45 PM, AU Is Gold said:

And stop talking about the Heisman. Opposing fans screenshot that kind of stuff. I would rather you meltdown like Notre Dame fans over a QB flip than talk about Payton Thorne and the Heisman. 

It was a Nix parody. The article and convo was a slow pitch right in the strike zone. Had to take a swing at it. Figured everyone would get it without yellow font.

I think the article is utter irony, too. Several games last season it looked like Thorne had downed a bottle of benadryl with a nyquil chaser. It didn't seem to me that he needed to relax more, at all. But, rather to think faster. But these articles are just filling the media void in the dead time - can't infer too much from them. Great chance Thorne will look better as the other cast may be better.

On 8/7/2024 at 4:14 PM, DAG said:

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91vu7hfc36ptqpfybwpp

ON3 has ran some type of Thorne puff piece for like three days straight. Its like the Harsin days when we were told things were going great and Harsin was an old school “winner”.

• Haha 1

I’m a wait and see when it comes to Thorne but

It was a positive thing to see his teammates talk him up.. if Thorne can get the confidence of his teammates that will go a long way 

On 8/7/2024 at 9:38 PM, Viper said:

Took those guys 4 years and 2 years, respectively, for huge improvement to happen. And all Leard had to do was throw the go-route to Ronney Daniels in Athens, which accounted for nearly 1/5 of his total passing yards in 1999. And I wouldn't call Leard at 60.5% and a 12/10 TD/INT ratio his Senior season anywhere close to a "very good" QB. Those numbers are as pedestrian as it gets.

On 8/7/2024 at 9:52 PM, Auburn93 said:

Ben Leard's improvement: 

He got horse collared so many times. 

Well, if that means a subpar QB can be made better by the room around him, I’ll take. 

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

I believe the lack rotating Robby in especially at random times should help the entire offense this year. Consistency, and clarity should help all in their roles. The offense rarely was in sync last year because of that. We shall see though!

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 12:58 PM, EastLakeTiger said:

It's pretty clear we tried our hardest to replace him before the bowl game then after his awful performance, but it's all we've got.  Hopefully Hugh in his ear helps his pre snap reads.

If freaking NCSU can pull a quality QB from the portal, why can’t we?

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

If freaking NCSU can pull a quality QB from the portal, so can we. Hell, as I mentioned I would’ve loved to get Pavea and he’s at VANDY. There’s zero excuses for not being able to get a competent QB.

I'm as big a critic of Thorne as anyone in here. Probably more so than most. But, it's not just him needs improvement.  If Wr improve, OL improves . Collective improvement,  maybe we can get something cooking on offense. I'm in wait and see mode

• Like 1

I'm hoping he is Heisman different. Well, okay, I'm hoping he is SEC different. Well okay, I'm hoping he is better than last year different.

Ya know, if he could do for Auburn this coming year what he did for Michigan State his last year there, I'd be in the "hallelujah" camp.

All he has to do is be average and get out of the way. 

• Like 3

On 8/7/2024 at 5:40 PM, AU Is Gold said:

I'm not confident in Thorne. He made too many dumb mistakes regardless of the WR play and the offensive line. I can only hope to be proved wrong, but I doubt that happens. Why all of a sudden is everybody so high on this guy because of a couple of articles? 

Not necessarily high on, but not going into the season banging on him either. Gaps in a surrounding cast will make many a QB attempt to make a play out of anything or take sacks they shouldn’t (while looking for a play to make).

Saw similar with BNix.

Gonna go with the “I’m giving you another opportunity, now show me.”  (No Missouri relation).

15 hours ago, AUwent said:

Well, if that means a subpar QB can be made better by the room around him, I’ll take. 

Oh, are we talking about Stetson Bennett now?

Edited by Allen_D