Nip Watch 2024

WarTim

Sorry for your loss @WarTim. The first time of everything after a special loss is tough. Here’s to hoping this season is full of pleasant surprises on the Plains. Ready for the Nip in more ways than one here is Mississippi. My wife teaches and she started back this past Tuesday so that’s always an early indicator that the Nip is not far off. War Eagle. 

Edited by gr82be
  • Thanks 1

War Eagle, now and forever. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the loss of your good friend @WarTim. Places a huge void in times, events, things and places we enjoy. Great to wake up and see this post. I was wondering just yesterday when the watch would begin. Down in NOLA right now and it is the soupiest, nastiest, stickiest weather imaginable. Walk outside day or night and like stepping into a sauna. Thankfully headed back to Auburn this morning. Enjoying everything written about fall camp. Looking forward to taking walks around campus and catch the band practicing soon.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss @WarTim.  It can be tough to go through certain "Events" that you are used to with that person so keeping up the Nip Watch is greatly appreciated even if it might not be the same for you as in previous years.

The kids started school on Thursday and even though it was blazing hot, the routine of getting the kids on the bus and communicating with their teachers using about 50 apps means there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  That light will be the glorious calling of the Nip!

• Like 1

Up here in the Great PNW, leaves are starting to fall.  Only a scattered few but it's still noticeable -- that, and I walked into a spiderweb outside early this morning and got a good upper body arm workout   before my coffee ... 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Up here in the Great PNW, leaves are starting to fall.  Only a scattered few but it's still noticeable -- that, and I walked into a spiderweb outside early this morning and got a good upper body arm workout   before my coffee ... 

A dad gum spider (at least I believe that is what it was) bit me on the back of my left shoulder about 4 weeks ago.   For weeks, out of nowhere, it would start to itch like crazy.  It has now finally stopped itching and heeled.   I don't like spiders and snakes... 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

A dad gum spider (at least I believe that is what it was) bit me on the back of my left shoulder about 4 weeks ago.   For weeks, out of nowhere, it would start to itch like crazy.  It has now finally stopped itching and heeled.   I don't like spiders and snakes... 

Do not trust animals with out personalities. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

those spider webs get me every time. Will dive right off the lawnmower if I actually see the spider. Lol

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

You have some hidden talent if you can train critter bites to heel.  Work on getting them to "play dead" ...  

• Love 1

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Same thing with me a few years ago. The only thing I can imagine was a spider. Itched like crazy forever. Yellow flys down on the coast same way. Take a red wasp sting over it any day. Hurts more initially but get over them quickly. Also have been bitten by a Cottonmouth. No fun at all.

• Wow 2

35 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Same thing with me a few years ago. The only thing I can imagine was a spider. Itched like crazy forever. Yellow flys down on the coast same way. Take a red wasp sting over it any day. Hurts more initially but get over them quickly. Also have been bitten by a Cottonmouth. No fun at all.

Cottonmouths are just flat out nasty and aggressive.   Was your bite a dry one or a wet one?  

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

So sorry about your loss @WarTim  My husband has a best friend very similar to what you described.  They talked every single day, discussing everything Auburn. A little over a year ago, his friend had a massive stroke and nearly died.  He was in ICU for 6 weeks, I think.  Since then, he’s battled back to regain speech, walking, and control of all his bodily functions.  I understand your loss And how hard it has had to be for you.  I’m so thankful that we didn’t lose Bobby. He’s talking and walking with a cane now! God is good.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Cottonmouths are just flat out nasty and aggressive.   Was your bite a dry one or a wet one?  

Wet meaning venomous bite I suppose? Kept me in the hospital for 5 days on a regiment of ice followed by heat. Was 12 yo. Doubt they knew a great deal about treating poisonous bites at the time. Thing bit me on the foot and my entire leg swelled to my hip.

Cottonmouths are not really aggressive. Like a rattlesnake prefer getting away from you. I stepped on the one that bit me while running. Cottonmouth’s are often confused with banded watersnakes. They have a somewhat diamond shaped head and are very curious. 

13 hours ago, WarTim said:

I know it is 100 degrees outside. But, it is THAT time of year again. Let’s hear about the sights and sounds etc… That tell you of the impending Nip. Remember that it is not all about temperature. It is so much more. On a side note, I lost my BEST friend Jeff this past November. I can’t imagine starting an Auburn football Season without him. He understood The Nip and was always in great anticipation of The Declaration. For over thirty years we had a phone conversation one hour before kickoff of every game. I’m going to spread that responsibility out to several other AU fans. Maybe even start some new traditions. I am currently rejoicing that Fall practice is underway. So let’s hear of those things that just scream AU football. Hurry Nip Hurry. ❤️

I'm ready, but it's too hot to fish right now, even at night.  No impending nip at the moment.

But I can't wait.

• Like 1

I’m just here for the pics! 😁

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/3/2024 at 1:03 PM, LPTiger said:

Have you started fighting crime yet?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Tiger1992 said:

Have you started fighting crime yet?

Weird, when I went to open my truck door today a sticky, stringy thing shot out of my wrist. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Weird, when I went to open my truck door today a sticky, stringy thing shot out of my wrist. 

171.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=083c2397b6e2dcc9c

• Haha 2

I've got a ton of wood ready to to burn in the fire pit. I almost talked myself into starting a fire last night just for the heck of it. It just feels like it's getting to be that time of year soon and I can't wait. 

• Like 2

Been waiting for this thread. Now we are getting close to football. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/3/2024 at 12:03 PM, LPTiger said:

My grandpa would always say that the best snake is a dead one. I think spiders should also be in that category. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

My grandpa would always say that the best snake is a dead one. I think spiders should also be in that category. 

Amen to that!

• Like 2

On 8/3/2024 at 12:03 PM, LPTiger said:

I got bitten on my calf about a year ago  Went & got the shot & it didn't help much.

Somebody told me put apple cider vinegar directly on the bite.  It stunk, but in about 2 days the swelling from the bite was pretty much gone.   If you get bitten again try that next time.

• Love 2