Off-season Updates on MBB

1 hour ago, aubcali said:

Cool — thanks for the update!!!  

No worries, I’ll see if I can get more information as the season nears!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That probably lines up with reasonable expectations. Pettiford is a combo guard and so is Pegues. I wouldn't expect those guys to have preternatural-level floor general ability, which is what I would think would be required to walk into a gym and immediately get the offense flowing.

They ran a lot of sets where the initiator hardly had to do much as last season progressed, so we should be able to keep that going to start out this year...until guys feel more comfortable 

• Like 2

I believe Cardwell was the nominal 5 in the Broome-Cardwell pairings. So if Turtle has been the backup for him, does that mean Broome has been the starter at the 4? Or is Turtle just the third string 5? 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I believe Cardwell was the nominal 5 in the Broome-Cardwell pairings. So if Turtle has been the backup for him, does that mean Broome has been the starter at the 4? Or is Turtle just the third string 5? 

From what I gathered, looks like Broome is playing the 4 and 5 and Turtle  will be the backup wherever he’s needed. I’m curious if we will see Broome and Cardwell on the floor a lot more this year. 

• Like 1

I may be wrong but I don't recall ever seeing Cardwell and Broome on the floor at the same time. Hopefully that will happen this year occasionally if we're outsized and getting killed on the boards.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, autan said:

I may be wrong but I don't recall ever seeing Cardwell and Broome on the floor at the same time. Hopefully that will happen this year occasionally if we're outsized and getting killed on the boards.

It happened against Georgia I believe 

That was the last game without Jaylin iirc 

• Like 1

I think they have to play Broome at the 4 due to his own desires and promises we’ve made to get the guy to come back, but him and DC can theoretically work. He just has to really do his thing from the perimeter and high post 

As a 6er fan who had to watch Simmons and Embiid, you can really compromise the post player (in this case, Broome) by asking them to extend out for sustained periods.

I do imagine those two rarely share the court for sustained periods though. 

• Like 1

Thank you, we need more content of this type… any comment on Jahki ?

• Thanks 1

Also “Turtle is the biggest surprise” !!! 👀👀  are you surprised? @AUSCalum87 😂😂

• Haha 1

Starting lineup:

Pettiford

Denver Jones

Miles Kelly

Chaney Johnson

Johni Broome

Rotation off the bench

JP Pegues

Jahki Howard 

Chad Baker Mazara

Turtle Hudson/chris moore 

Dylan Cardwell

• Like 1
  • Love 1

We’re gonna see some Johni at 4 with DC at 5 this year. 

Sooo, we don't have a true PG this year?!?

Looks like a nice starting point. Thank you for the update.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 7:41 PM, AUSCalum87 said:

I didn’t see a similar topic about any updates/practices that are happening right now with the Men’s Basketball team. So I thought I would start a new thread for our progress during the offseason. 

Jay G Tate from Auburn Rivals posted a note and I’ll just summarize what he has seen in practices thus far:

I’ll start with the only negative - Pegues apparently is struggling with setting up the offense and getting guys into position. Tate believes it’s just him being completely new with everyone and trying to figure out his new teammates.

Positives- Pettiford is living up to his hype basically. He’s like Pegues though and having some issues getting the offense set. “Turtle” or Hudson, is actually the biggest surprise he stated, saying he has been the backup for Cardwell and is more agile than given credit and can shoot from the outside. Also stated that he does all the little things that gets him points in the paint. Miles Kelly has been amazing, very focused and determined and reading between the tea leaves might start over CBM. And finally, and a great surprise to me, Chaney seems like he’s a completely different player and is asserting himself as one of our top players.

Thanks for info. Tate take with grain of salt.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2024 at 4:09 PM, Lotto said:

Also “Turtle is the biggest surprise” !!! 👀👀  are you surprised? @AUSCalum87 😂😂

Actually I’m really surprised and happy to hear that! As long as he contributes in a positive way, I’m all for it!

On 7/29/2024 at 8:50 AM, AUGoo said:

Sooo, we don't have a true PG this year?!?

Nah, I think we have a hell of a backcourt honestly. I think Pegues is just trying to acclimate with his new teammates. I’m not really surprised by that. Also, Pettiford has been doing great as well!

• Like 2

On 7/24/2024 at 4:41 PM, AUSCalum87 said:

I didn’t see a similar topic about any updates/practices that are happening right now with the Men’s Basketball team. So I thought I would start a new thread for our progress during the offseason. 

Jay G Tate from Auburn Rivals posted a note and I’ll just summarize what he has seen in practices thus far:

I’ll start with the only negative - Pegues apparently is struggling with setting up the offense and getting guys into position. Tate believes it’s just him being completely new with everyone and trying to figure out his new teammates.

Positives- Pettiford is living up to his hype basically. He’s like Pegues though and having some issues getting the offense set. “Turtle” or Hudson, is actually the biggest surprise he stated, saying he has been the backup for Cardwell and is more agile than given credit and can shoot from the outside. Also stated that he does all the little things that gets him points in the paint. Miles Kelly has been amazing, very focused and determined and reading between the tea leaves might start over CBM. And finally, and a great surprise to me, Chaney seems like he’s a completely different player and is asserting himself as one of our top players.

Great info and thanks for the update! I'm not to worried about our PGs given how Pearl has used his PG's in the past. Also it will be a luxury to have both Broome and Kelley available to catch entry passes and either be playmakers or get actions started when needed. 

And if what they're saying is true with Chaney & Turtle, then there will be more options to run 5-outs to open up the lane for Pegues and Pettiford to get to the basket or to drive and kick.  But..... we'll just need the team to knock down open shots at a high rate. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2024 at 7:41 PM, AUSCalum87 said:

“Turtle” or Hudson, is actually the biggest surprise he stated, saying he has been the backup for Cardwell and is more agile than given credit and can shoot from the outside. Also stated that he does all the little things that gets him points in the paint. 

judging guys before they step on the court 🤡

• Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, haleycenter said:

I believe we have a billion dollar industry of pundits who do just that every offseason...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, haleycenter said:

It was a surprise to read that, I’ll be honest. However, I still think him and Moore will get the least amount of minutes. The first off the bench will be between whoever is not starting in Miles and CBM, Pettiford, Cardwell and Howard. Moore and Hudson will be used for emergency situations or if someone needs a quick breather.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

It was a surprise to read that, I’ll be honest. However, I still think him and Moore will get the least amount of minutes. The first off the bench will be between whoever is not starting in Miles and CBM, Pettiford, Cardwell and Howard. Moore and Hudson will be used for emergency situations or if someone needs a quick breather.

I also think we just gotta see how these guys look like when bullets are flying…I know some ppl were pissed with how blunt you were with your opinion about Turtle, but you can only operate with the in-game film you have to work with. I still think that should be held in higher weight than practice reports. Anyone who’s an Auburn FOOTBALL fan should know that there are plenty of practice giants who don’t translate for one reason or another  

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I also think we just gotta see how these guys look like when bullets are flying…I know some ppl were pissed with how blunt you were with your opinion about Turtle, but you can only operate with the in-game film you have to work with. I still think that should be held in higher weight than practice reports. Anyone who’s an Auburn FOOTBALL fan should know that there are plenty of practice giants who don’t translate for one reason or another  

I hope Turtle is amazing this year as I'm sure we all do, but he would be an exception to what typically happens as you state. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 2