This is how Republicans will go after Kamala

21 minutes ago, AUDub said:

They’d not have so easy a time with our infrastructure as many would think. Just because something is fragile doesn’t mean it’s not protected. 

Maybe so, (I am no expert).  I am open to studying the question.

But my understanding is one EMP - or a coordinated IT attack - would wreak havoc with our transportation and communications systems, regionally if not nationally, which is practically the same thing.

Edited by homersapien

13 minutes ago, AUDub said:

This is the best ELI5 I’ve found on that. This guy is a former Microsoft dev. In fact he wrote the task manager. 

Good info. I follow what he is saying.....also, good explanation on the fix and explains why my IT fixed my laptop so fast and I had to keep working Friday. LMAO

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Maybe so, (I am no expert).  I am open to studying the question.

But my understanding is one EMP - or coordinated IT attack - would wreak havoc with our transportation and communications systems, regionally if not nationally, which is practically the same thing.

You’d need a nuke to generate EMP. At that point you’re just putting a hat on a hat. 

As for IT the crowd strike thing is a very good case study for a coordinated attack. Didn’t exactly end the world. 

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Hell, I - and everyone else except maybe you and anyone directly affected - had already forgotten about it. :no:

We are complacent.

All the memes and Tik Toks kept in my memory. Ha. 

Had a friend stuck in SLC since Sunday. He got home last night. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

As for IT the crowd strike thing is a very good case study for a coordinated attack. Didn’t exactly end the world. 

Yeah, it would be very effective "ala carte" part of an attack. 

18 minutes ago, AUDub said:

You’d need a nuke to generate EMP. At that point you’re just putting a hat on a hat. 

I understand.  A Chinese or Russian coordinated IT attack also begs a response. But I doubt the perps would make it easy to respond with certainty and quickly.

My point was doesn't take a thermonuclear bomb to disrupt out entire country. And deterrence via MAD is becoming more and more problematic considering the N. Koreas and Irans in the world along with associated terrorist groups. 

This is exactly why creating as many allies around the world as possible is so important. It's going to take a global intelligence approach to guard ourselves.

"Fortress America" or "America First" is a dangerous direction to assume. It's inherently self-defeating.  Our self-interest relies on diplomacy and alliances.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Excuse me (I haven't seen the video you posted yet), but my understanding is the Crowdsource thing wasn't an "attack" at all, but a mistake in coding, right?

Just now, homersapien said:

Excuse me (I haven't seen the video you posted yet), but my understanding is the Crowdsource thing wasn't an "attack" at all, but a mistake in coding, right?

Correct, but it’s a very good approximation of one. 

13 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

All the memes and Tik Toks kept in my memory. Ha. 

Had a friend stuck in SLC since Sunday. He got home last night. 

He won't be casually forgetting it!

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Correct, but it’s a very good approximation of one. 

Yeah I get it.

It also begs a lot of questions regarding quality/control, security and regulation of companies providing programming.

Maybe it ought to be managed more like we manage the air travel industry.

Edited by homersapien

On 7/24/2024 at 12:35 PM, SLAG-91 said:

Tulsi Gabbard pretty much nuked Harris' campaign in under a minute in 2020 exposing her on her AG record in California, and there is plenty of legitimate fodder out there to use besides that.

Apparently Harris was never the border czar, though.

Trying to do a Men In Black memory erase on us.

Reason # eleventy billion people think the mainstream media outlets are completely untrustworthy.

Tulsi’s attack was horribly misleading. 

1974 people were charged with Marijuana charges while Harris was Attorney General of California. But….

Canabis related cases in CA are prosecuted by DA’s of individual counties, not the attorney general of California. 

While she was the DA of San Francisco she charged 45 people with Cannabis related incidents. 45…….in a city with 800,000 people. 

So no, she didn’t put 1,000s of black men in jail for marijuana charges.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yeah I get it.

I also begs a lot of questions regarding quality/control, security and regulation of companies providing programming.

Maybe it ought to be treated more like we treat the air travel industry.

In the video he explains how this got around some of the safeguards. Essentially, you have a system that goes through a Microsoft Cert. and is deemed fit to use. But, they have things set up where that system pulls information from something that they can change. So the system if technically has it's certs, however it may do different things that it was not certified to do. (This is just my attempt at an explanation, so don't roast me AUDub.)

As long as they don't treat it like Boeing.....cause this already has a Boeing feel to it. 

Edited by wdefromtx
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

In the video he explains how this got around some of the safeguards. Essentially, you have a system that goes through a Microsoft Cert. and is deemed fit to use. But, they have things set up where that system pulls information from something that they can change. So the system if technically has it's certs, however it may do different things that it was not certified to do. (This is just my attempt at an explanation, so don't roast me AUDub.)

As long as they don't treat it like Boeing.....cause this already  has a Boeing feel to it. 

Yeah, no doubt the "holes in the Swiss Cheese lined up". (I'm a big fan of "Pilot Debrief" and "Mayday")

Thus the air industry reference, which has the FAA who investigate every crash to determine the cause, then updates the industry with alerts, changes to checklists, regulations - or what have you - to avoid it happening again. 

The airline industry is very regimented when it comes to process and procedure which directly affects quality.  Considering the effect faulty software can have, maybe we need more of that sort of thinking applied to that industry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, no doubt the "holes in the Swiss Cheese lined up". (I'm a big fan of "Pilot Debrief" and "Mayday")

Thus the air industry reference, which has the FAA who investigate every crash to determine the cause, then updates the industry with alerts, changes to checklists, regulations - or what have you - to avoid it happening again. 

The airline industry is very regimented when it comes to process and procedure which directly affects quality.  Considering the effect faulty software can have, maybe we need more of that sort of thinking applied to that industry.

Yeah, I am a big fan of those shows too.

You get weird looks from other passengers when you watch them on a flight.....that's for sure. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

This is the best ELI5 I’ve found on that. This guy is a former Microsoft dev. In fact he wrote the task manager. 

Our AP Comp Sci teacher now has a built-in case study when her students complain about "being so picky."

14 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Yeah, I am a big fan of those shows too.

You get weird looks from other passengers when you watch them on a flight.....that's for sure. 

:laugh:

Whenever I watch them, I am just thankful my flying days are over.

My wife is addicted to "Mayday" and binge-watches it. We are both glad that show didn't exist then.

I've learned a lot from watching "Pilot Debrief". Anyone who owns/flies a plane owes it to themselves to watch it.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Correct.

Democrats (and "democrats") do have a long history of philosophical and political opposition to communism.

(Except for the period of WWII, where we joined them for self-serving reasons to fight fascism.)

That's not the first lie you've told today is it.

Angela Davis, winner of the Lenin Peace Prize, and former CPUSA candidate for POTUS  endorsed and campaigned for Biden & Harris in 2020.  And encouraged CPUSA members to vote democrat.
And  don't overlook Ted Kennedy making deals with Russia for interference in elections and politics here in the U.S.

And there are also current members of Congress who openly identify with the Islamo fascist regime in Iran and their terrorist groups surrounding Israel.   Might as well throw out the democrat supporters of terrorist groups demonstrating all over the country.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tigermike said:

That's not the first lie you've told today is it.

Angela Davis, winner of the Lenin Peace Prize, and former CPUSA candidate for POTUS  endorsed and campaigned for Biden & Harris in 2020.  And encouraged CPUSA members to vote democrat.
And  don't overlook Ted Kennedy making deals with Russia for interference in elections and politics here in the U.S.

And there are also current members of Congress who openly identify with the Islamo fascist regime in Iran and their terrorist groups surrounding Israel.   Might as well throw out the democrat supporters of terrorist groups demonstrating all over the country.

Yeah, history is complicated. 

But not if your free to cherry pick random examples to defend your grossly exaggerated, sophomoric, over-simplified, ridiculously partisan theory. Huh?

Who needs truly significant, meaningful and defining events in  history - such as the historical role of Democrats since the cold war in opposition to communism?  (In some cases, they are guilty of over-reaction in opposing communism, such as the war in Viet Nam.)

"But Angela Davis....."!!  :rolleyes:   

So yeah go ahead and beleive Democrats and communism have a "close historical association" with each other. :-\

You are an idiot.

Edited by homersapien

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

My wife is addicted to "Mayday" and binge-watches it. 

For a time my wife was, too, and she is terrified of flying. 

She recently watched a couple of documentaries on Boeing. The chances of her ever flying a 737 Max are roughly the same as Kim Jong Un winning a bikini contest. Well, outside of North Korea, anyway.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So no, she didn’t put 1,000s of black men in jail for marijuana charges.

I wonder why Kamala didn’t have a comeback during that debate?  I guess she just was blindsided with the accusation and froze.  She looked unprepared.

4 hours ago, AUDub said:

If you catch a spy what do you do? Interrogate them or shoot them on the spot? 

I see your point:

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) – New details emerged Wednesday about how a Chinese spy managed to stay by Senator Dianne Feinstein's side for nearly 20 years.

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/details-chinese-spy-dianne-feinstein-san-francisco/

The House Ethics Committee closed its two-year investigation into Rep. Eric Swalwell’s ties to suspected Chinese spy Christine Fang on Tuesday and said it will take no action against the California Democrat.

“As you are aware, on April 9, 2021, the Committee on Ethics informed you that it had determined to investigate allegations raised in the complaint that you may have violated House Rules, laws, or other standards of conduct in connection with your interactions with Ms. Christine Fang. The Committee will take no further action in this matter,” read a letter to Swalwell from Ethics Committee Chairman Michael Guest (R-Miss.) and ranking member Susan Wild (D-Pa.). 

https://nypost.com/2023/05/23/house-ethics-committee-ends-probe-into-swalwells-interaction-with-fang-fang/

I’m sure we got a lot of useful information from these two spyies.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, history is complicated. 

But not if your free to cherry pick random examples to defend your grossly exaggerated, sophomoric, over-simplified, ridiculously partisan theory. Huh?

Who needs truly significant, meaningful and defining events in  history - such as the historical role of Democrats since the cold war in opposition to communism?  (In some cases, they are guilty of over-reaction in opposing communism, such as the war in Viet Nam.)

"But Angela Davis....."!!  :rolleyes:   

So yeah go ahead and beleive Democrats and communism have a "close historical association" with each other. :-\

You are an idiot.

I'm sorry, I forgot about this

th-3520045794.jpg

f_schumerputin2003_170303-3671436756.jpg

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

I wonder why Kamala didn’t have a comeback during that debate?  I guess she just was blindsided with the accusation and froze.  She looked unprepared.

Maybe she was. Or maybe she didn’t have time to explain all of that. I can’t really remember the moment, but I know that those debates where there are like 10+ people are pretty chaotic.