🗼Paris Olympics 2024🥇🥈🥉

AURex

I know Suni Lee is still in the competition for the Paris Olympics. But do we have any other Auburn athletes who may be competing in Paris? Swimming/Diving, Track & Field, etc?

• 3 weeks later...

We should find out soon. Hopefully, Suni will make the team tonight.

We have two Nigerian sprinters fighting for spots and there is a young, talented swimmer from Canada (committed to AU) but looks like she didn't make the final cut (even though she technically qualified ).

Tennis: https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/articles/czqqq2e78llo

Edited by AUreo
  • Thanks 1

Gymnastics:

Auburn commit Charlotte Booth (Team GB) is an Olympic alternate and on standby.

image.jpeg

Edited by AUreo
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

I heard a report this morning that Suni did indeed make the Olympic team. Congratulations!

Reoport confirmed:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

+

Tim Puetz (Tennis, Germany)

https://auburntigers.com/news/2024/07/01/mens-tennis-alum-tim-puetz-makes-german-olympic-team

Makanakishe Charamba (Track & Field, 200m sprint, Zimbabwe) - current junior; major: Accounting

https://harbert.auburn.edu/news/going-for-gold-harbert-student-to-compete-in-summer-olympics.html

Edited by AUreo
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Starting this thread to discuss everything Olympic games over the next 16 days or so. 

Opening ceremony on 26th. Interesting difference:  being held outside the stadium.  The parade of nations will be by boat/float for each country down the Seine through Paris.  Allows for anyone essentially to be able to see the ceremony in person that wants to. The destination will have the necessary Olympic protocol and show.  I'm excited to see how this works out. 

(Funny thing is I just watched Sharks under Paris which took place in the Seine lol) 

Some begin tomorrow for 🇺🇲.  Rugby 7s and Football. 

My 2 favorites are the Running Races in track & field, and the Swimming Races.  Gets my adrenaline pumping.

So glad they brought Golf back to the Olympics.

My least favorite is the bicycle marathon race.   Just no.

Men's Rugby on USA right now.  Just watched a great match with Arg vs Australia.  US is next vs Uruguay  Need a win.  They are 0-1-1 in group so far.  Uruguay is 0-0-2. 

USA wins!!! 33-17. Advance to quarterfinals.  Rugby sevens is great, especially for the Olympics because there is more space compared to 11 on a side.  

1st ever win in the Olympics (1st year to make the Olympics as well) 

• Like 1

Lost 18-0 to Australia in the Quarters.

NBC will have a few things going on during the day, but mostly at night their prime time show -- athlete personal profiles, talking heads, and a few selected replays of events. NBC has done a truly crappy job of Olympic coverage for a long time. Not for me.

So I picked up a subscription to Peacock because that channel will be showing all Olympic events. Figure I'll drop it after the Olympics are done.

Of course, with the time difference between Paris and U.S., that creates some odd hours.

As a former competitive swimmer, I want to see that. Swimming begins tomorrow morning at 5:00 AM eastern. I'm an early riser, but usually not that early. Will have to set the alarm. hahaha

I'm going to try to record/save some of these events. In addition to swimming and diving, I like pole vault and long jump and women's beach volleyball. Wifey likes gymnastics and diving, but she ain't getting up at 5:00 AM.

Still, I'm eager to see great athletes in action. Bring it on!

Gymnastics will probably be closer to lunch our time since that is usually a prime time event local time.  I wanted to watch Equestrian but that's at 330ETam lol

The real winners are the surfers! They have their competition in Tahiti!! 😆 

Only fitting .. lol

Watching this rugby semi with Fiji and Australia.  Some big hits in this one. 

France just took it to Fiji, whom have not lost a single Olympic match since introduced rugby.  Electric home momentum.  Just wanted it!!

Fiji has looked a class above throughout.  Incredible performance by France in gold medal game. 

Our women's gymnastics team looked on track today.  They are really good.  Enjoy it. 

Suni was extremely clutch today to get the #2 spot for USA AA comp.  Still have to wait results of other sessions to confirm her overall spot.

It's time!! Basketball group play for USA. Get Serbia 🇷🇸  first and this will be a tough one. 

well... looks like the Women are pretty good at Rugby 🏉  That's a big score. A lot of runaway tries it looks like

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

well... looks like the Women are pretty good at Rugby 🏉  That's a big score. A lot of runaway tries it looks like

Somebody has been hitting the weight room.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Somebody has been hitting the weight room.

That pic does paint a picture.  Look at how much bigger she is compared to Japan.  Although Japan men finished last also.  So maybe just outmatched. 

• Like 1

Kevin F'n Durant!! My gosh that dude is on it today.  Lethal.  21 points in half, no misses.