Explain this

MEMORANDUM FOR THE SECRETARY OF STATE

THE SECRETARY OF THE TREASURY

SUBJECT:       Delegation of Certain Functions and Authorities Under the Rebuilding Economic Prosperity and Opportunity for Ukrainians Act

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 301 of title 3, United States Code, I hereby order as follows:

Section 1.  (a)  I hereby delegate to the Secretary of the Treasury the functions and authorities vested in the President by sections 104(a)(1) and 104(a)(2)(A) of the Rebuilding Economic Prosperity and Opportunity for Ukrainians Act (Division F of Public Law 118-50) (the “Act”).

(b)  I hereby delegate to the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of the Treasury, the functions and authorities vested in the President by sections 104(g), 104(i), 105(c), 105(e), and 105(g) of the Act.

Sec. 2.  The delegations in this memorandum shall apply to any provisions of any future public laws that are the same or substantially the same as those provisions referenced in this memorandum.

Sec. 3.  The Secretary of the Treasury is authorized and directed to publish this memorandum in the Federal Register.

JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR.

The White House 

3 hours ago, Tigermike said:

MEMORANDUM FOR THE SECRETARY OF STATE

THE SECRETARY OF THE TREASURY

SUBJECT:       Delegation of Certain Functions and Authorities Under the Rebuilding Economic Prosperity and Opportunity for Ukrainians Act

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 301 of title 3, United States Code, I hereby order as follows:

Section 1.  (a)  I hereby delegate to the Secretary of the Treasury the functions and authorities vested in the President by sections 104(a)(1) and 104(a)(2)(A) of the Rebuilding Economic Prosperity and Opportunity for Ukrainians Act (Division F of Public Law 118-50) (the “Act”).

(b)  I hereby delegate to the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of the Treasury, the functions and authorities vested in the President by sections 104(g), 104(i), 105(c), 105(e), and 105(g) of the Act.

Sec. 2.  The delegations in this memorandum shall apply to any provisions of any future public laws that are the same or substantially the same as those provisions referenced in this memorandum.

Sec. 3.  The Secretary of the Treasury is authorized and directed to publish this memorandum in the Federal Register.

JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR.

The White House 

You could start by explaining what you think it means. 

• Haha 2

These are not unusual.  Obama, Trump and others have also signed these type delegation documents in order for cabinet position secretaries to have the authority needed to act on behalf of the administration.

6 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Obama, Trump and others have also signed these type delegation documents

I've never seen or heard of any other POTUS signing anything like that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tigermike said:

The folks making hay of this haven’t either or are hoping their target audience is too ill informed as well.

It’s a normal procedural thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigermike said:

Their ability to do so is codified.  Powers designated for enforcement by POTUS are really designated to the executive branch.  It is literally impossible for one person to perform the functions of every department head acting under his or her power.

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=code+of+federal+regulations&f=treesort&num=14

Example

https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/presidential-actions/presidential-memorandum-delegation-authority-national-defense-authorization-act-fiscal-year-2017/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

The folks making hay of this haven’t either or are hoping their target audience is too ill informed as well.

That would be the white house.   Which is where I saw it.

18 minutes ago, Tigermike said:

That would be the white house.   Which is where I saw it.

The White House released a regular run of the mill note detailing a regular run of the mill procedure. Only the ill informed or the bad intentioned are making a big deal of it. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Thanks 1

Nothing to see here. Happens all the time (being real). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

The White House released a regular run of the mill note detailing a regular run of the mill procedure. Only the ill informed or the bad intentioned are making a big deal of it. 

Congratulations on your charter membership. 

15 minutes ago, Tigermike said:

Congratulations on your charter membership. 

Serious forum, my dude. 

• Like 1