Evangelicals and Politics

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Do you have an example of (significant) legislation "pandering to one group"?

Trump's tax cut?

Regardless, our system is generally designed for legislation to reflect majority will, at least regarding social issues.

And I am not trying to start an argument, I am simply questioning what you really meant by your statement:  "The problems arise when authority ie government imposes law in conflict with Christian beliefs."

I saying that I agree legislation should not pander to religious groups. Some legislation like ie abortion is in conflict with religious beliefs. 

I grew up in a small, rural Evangelical church, politics usually wasn't made a big part of the actual sermons, but the Adult Bible class was pretty heavily influenced by Conservative politics.  Jokes about Democrats and accusing liberals of being against the Church and influenced by Satan were really common. 

In the larger Churches I've been in, individual men who lead prayers sometimes throw some Conservative political rhetoric in their prayers, but the preachers and class teachers usually do good about staying politically neutral. 

15 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Are you saying politics are discussed from the pulpit and in group studies?

I think that differs from church to church.  In group studies, it is now part of the discussion.   I have discussed the difference with some and used the example of Billy Graham.  The difference between Billy Graham and his son Franklin Graham in how they approach politics is similar to the change in evangelical thinking over that span of time.  Billy Graham advised many Presidents, regardless of the party that President was affiliated with.  His son Franklin endorses and spoke at the Republican Convention.  He profits from his partisanship.

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I think that differs from church to church.  In group studies, it is now part of the discussion.   I have discussed the difference with some and used the example of Billy Graham.  The difference between Billy Graham and his son Franklin Graham in how they approach politics is similar to the change in evangelical thinking over that span of time.  Billy Graham advised many Presidents, regardless of the party that President was affiliated with.  His son Franklin endorses and spoke at the Republican Convention.  He profits from his partisanship.

Franklin is one I include as a preach for profit evangelist. May be wrong but I do not follow him. I spend a lot of time in the coastal areas between New Orleans and Florida’s forgotten coast. Also have a home in East Alabama. Attend 4 different churches regularly dependent on travel. Never hear anything political from a pulpit or in small group lessons. Agree with Coffee that jokes regarding liberals is commonplace between services. Most of it between adult men.

11 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Franklin is one I include as a preach for profit evangelist. May be wrong but I do not follow him. I spend a lot of time in the coastal areas between New Orleans and Florida’s forgotten coast. Also have a home in East Alabama. Attend 4 different churches regularly dependent on travel. Never hear anything political from a pulpit or in small group lessons. Agree with Coffee that jokes regarding liberals is commonplace between services. Most of it between adult men.

I agree.  That is good to hear.  I think the change is more than just political.  Growing up I don't remember the church or its leadership being involved in most cultural issues.  Maybe I was just fortunate that we had an incredible pastor for the majority of my teen years, but we had all types of kids and parents and the only time there was any admonishment was if someone made anyone else uncomfortable.  That was the big no no.

15 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Not convinced this is correct. “Submit to authority which is established established by God.” The problems arise when authority ie government imposes law in conflict with Christian beliefs. Social issues like abortion and same sex marriage. 

I hate to see abortion legislated. To much of a personal issue and every case is unique. 

Rome was never friendly to the faith. I don’t recall Jesus telling us to take up the sword and throw off the authority. God ordained authorities over men and women. Do we always like what they do? No. I think if you looked hard enough you would find many things that you don’t like about just about anyone. I don’t like O’Steen or Copeland. I don’t like the prosperity churches. I think God asks me to be like Jesus eating with the sinners. I don’t have to live with the sinners, but I should be working with them and demonstrating God’s love. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I saying that I agree legislation should not pander to religious groups. Some legislation like ie abortion is in conflict with religious beliefs. 

And different legislation may satisfy the religious' beliefs but be in conflict with majority opinion - not to mention a woman's right of bodily autonomy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

And different legislation may satisfy the religious' beliefs but be in conflict with majority opinion - not to mention a woman's right of bodily autonomy.

Correct. Issues like abortion will never be legislated to everyone’s satisfaction. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 10:28 AM, auburnatl1 said:

I’m your basic Protestant (Presbyterian) and during my life and travels the most exposure I ever had to evangelicals is actually on this website (which is odd). What has especially caught me off guard is the radically different approach they take to politics. I was explicitly taught since childhood, with supporting scripture, that Christ warned not to get involved in politics or  mired in other “things of this world” - inevitably corrupting - but I find evangelicals are hyper political. Candidly some of the posts I’ve read have shocked me about how activist the culture is. They seem to blur religion and politics. Maybe I’m wrong.

i know non Christians will weigh in on this but my question is specifically to evangelicals: how do you really view politics and are you concerned that this level of activism could take you into the same trap that fundamental Islam fell into?

You must be USA Presbyterian.

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Correct. Issues like abortion will never be legislated to everyone’s satisfaction. 

That’s why it should be left up to the woman until the second trimester unless there’s a risk to the life of the mother or impregnated through criminal means. 

Good discussion. 

How does the "Christian Nationalist" moniker apply to African American churches and their political activities from the civil rights era through present day? 

37 minutes ago, JMWATS said:

Good discussion. 

How does the "Christian Nationalist" moniker apply to African American churches and their political activities from t he civil rights era through present day? 

Advocating for  civil rights is not the same as advocating for theocracy.

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Advocating for  civil rights is not the same as advocating for theocracy.

Let me introduce you to the “souls to the polls” program my brother.

With U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock, the pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-voting-donald-trump-georgia-accd734da2b58856243283403571f2b8

Edited by JMWATS

13 hours ago, JMWATS said:

Let me introduce you to the “souls to the polls” program my brother.

With U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock, the pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-voting-donald-trump-georgia-accd734da2b58856243283403571f2b8

There's nothing there that refutes my statement.

27 minutes ago, homersapien said:

There's nothing there that refutes my statement.

According to the Library of Congress the Civil Rights era ended in 1968.  

in present day, American churches (black or white) organizing to support a particular party or set of candidates is the same.  Go ahead you can say it.😀

22 minutes ago, JMWATS said:

Seriously?  :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Racism died in 1968?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Racism died in 1968?

My earlier post stated "from the civil rights era through present day".    Reading is fundamental.  🙂

• Wow 1

51 minutes ago, JMWATS said:

in present day, American churches (black or white) organizing to support a particular party or set of candidates is the same.  Go ahead you can say it.😀

Did it say in the article where they supported a candidate or Party? All I saw was they were encouraging people to vote. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Did it say in the article where they supported a candidate or Party? All I saw was they were encouraging people to vote. 

Yeah O.K.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Racism died in 1968?

Obviously not. The Democratic Party continues to exist under the said name. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Obviously not. The Democratic Party continues to exist under the said name. 

Not following you. So the Dems are the racist party?

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

Not following you. So the Dems are the racist party?

The party that led the rebranding of so many things that were associated with racism/slavery, yet clings to the foundation of it through the ultimate legacy. Yes, the Democratic Party 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

The party that led the rebranding of so many things that were associated with racism/slavery, yet clings to the foundation of it through the ultimate legacy. Yes, the Democratic Party 

The Dems have waaaay more minorities than the  the current gop.  Not even close. The gop is the home of the kkk for goodness sakes. Theres a million stats on it. 

Youre living in la la land.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Racist against whites , white women and especially white males who are WASP.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Thats exactly what it says. Comprehension is also fundamental as well (not directed at you).

• Thanks 1