Evangelicals and Politics

I’m your basic Protestant (Presbyterian) and during my life and travels the most exposure I ever had to evangelicals is actually on this website (which is odd). What has especially caught me off guard is the radically different approach they take to politics. I was explicitly taught since childhood, with supporting scripture, that Christ warned not to get involved in politics or  mired in other “things of this world” - inevitably corrupting - but I find evangelicals are hyper political. Candidly some of the posts I’ve read have shocked me about how activist the culture is. They seem to blur religion and politics. Maybe I’m wrong.

i know non Christians will weigh in on this but my question is specifically to evangelicals: how do you really view politics and are you concerned that this level of activism could take you into the same trap that fundamental Islam fell into?

They’re able to blur the two, because they consider things that don’t fit their religious beliefs as dangerous or unlawful. They see themselves as the saviors and molders of what humanity should be. Really f’ed up stuff to think in a modern secular society. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I’m your basic Protestant (Presbyterian) and during my life and travels the most exposure I ever had to evangelicals is actually on this website (which is odd). What has especially caught me off guard is the radically different approach they take to politics. I was explicitly taught since childhood, with supporting scripture, that Christ warned not to get involved in politics or  mired in other “things of this world” - inevitably corrupting - but I find evangelicals are hyper political. Candidly some of the posts I’ve read have shocked me about how activist the culture is. They seem to blur religion and politics. Maybe I’m wrong.

i know non Christians will weigh in on this but my question is specifically to evangelicals: how do you really view politics and are you concerned that this level of activism could take you into the same trap that fundamental Islam fell into?

Great topic. I was an evangelical through all of my childhood and early adulthood. It took me a lot of years, exploration, and reading of the Bible (slowly and in small increments) to illuminate how selective I was with the scriptures I practiced and those I simply ignored. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

This history of this is as long as the history of the U.S., but IMO, the modern movement - which includes Christian Natioinalism - was started by Jerry Fallwell, who was transparent about it.

Jesus was very wise.  This will not help the cause of Christianity and will likely harm it - if it hasn't already.  (And I think it has).

The fear of losing their religious connection to the founding is part of it. History hasn’t always been kind when government and religion collide. Fear of being forced into “belief” can cause a lot of stress. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Basic Presbyterian means it is doubtful you fall into the “evangelical” definition. How do you define it? I define it by the “preach for profit” influential dynamic speakers and their absurdly large mass of followers. 

Prior to answering your questions define evangelical please. Another term used very loosely imo.

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Prior to answering your questions define evangelical please. Another term used very loosely imo.

In my mind it’s a simpler but more aggressive form of Protestantism. Again, what sharply differentiates it is its  political activism. Candidly I see core maga as an evangelical movement. Which is why it fixates solely on social issues and has little to no fiscal policies.

14 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I was raised in a Southern Baptist Church and I was taught the exact same thing.  Unfortunately, the same church that provided me with a wonderful childhood and was thriving in the 1980s and 1990s is only a shell of what it used to be.  Part of the reason for that is the constant in fighting within the church. The church that once warned its members to keep politics out of the church now has a church sign that reads like Fox headlines.  It is bizarre. 

We never discussed politics or even heard the pastor discuss politics other than a prayer for the country during some kind of crisis.  Moving away from that has not been healthy for anyone.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, autigeremt said:

The fear of losing their religious connection to the founding is part of it. History hasn’t always been kind when government and religion collide. Fear of being forced into “belief” can cause a lot of stress. 

History hasn't always been "kind" when government and religion collude, which is what the first amendment was designed to address - at the founding.

Otherwise you are generally correct, even if inadvertently.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

In my mind it’s a simpler but more aggressive form of Protestantism. Again, what sharply differentiates it is its  political activism. Candidly I see core maga as an evangelical movement. Which is why it fixates solely on social issues and has little to no fiscal policies.

By trap are you referring to fundamental Islam unjustly being viewed as radical? Christians are probably already there. 

59 minutes ago, homersapien said:

History hasn't always been "kind" when government and religion collude, which is what the first amendment was designed to address - at the founding.

Otherwise you are generally correct, even if inadvertently.

Of course, Homer. Of course 🤪

It started for me when radical leftists started going after the church.  And guess what,  Democrats have been doing it for decades in the African American churches https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-virus-outbreak-race-and-ethnicity-new-york-voting-c8f6ec1b9eb46c6e49340747d781bb11

Edited by JMWATS
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

16 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I was raised in a Southern Baptist Church and I was taught the exact same thing.  Unfortunately, the same church that provided me with a wonderful childhood and was thriving in the 1980s and 1990s is only a shell of what it used to be.  Part of the reason for that is the constant in fighting within the church. The church that once warned its members to keep politics out of the church now has a church sign that reads like Fox headlines.  It is bizarre. 

We never discussed politics or even heard the pastor discuss politics other than a prayer for the country during some kind of crisis.  Moving away from that has not been healthy for anyone.

I was raised Southern Baptist too.

The seeds were sown when the conservative movement took over SBC….read a book called “What Ever Happened to the Southern Baptist Convention “ if you can find it…

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Are you saying politics are discussed from the pulpit and in group studies?

On 7/20/2024 at 10:28 AM, auburnatl1 said:

Christ warned not to get involved in politics or  mired in other “things of this world”

Not convinced this is correct. “Submit to authority which is established established by God.” The problems arise when authority ie government imposes law in conflict with Christian beliefs. Social issues like abortion and same sex marriage. 

I hate to see abortion legislated. To much of a personal issue and every case is unique. 

7 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

The problems arise when authority ie government imposes law in conflict with Christian beliefs.

Hopefully, you are not advocating for Christian Nationalism (the Christian equivalent of "Sharia").

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Hopefully, you are not advocating for Christian Nationalism (the Christian equivalent of "Sharia").

No I am not. I agree with your post regarding Falwell going to far with injecting Christian beliefs into politics.

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Not convinced this is correct. “Submit to authority which is established established by God.” The problems arise when authority ie government imposes law in conflict with Christian beliefs. Social issues like abortion and same sex marriage. 

I hate to see abortion legislated. To much of a personal issue and every case is unique. 

As you know there are many verses in almost every gospel where Jesus said to be not of this world. IMO evangelicals seem too preoccupied with … “Caesar”.  It’s unfamiliar to me.

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

As you know there are many verses in almost every gospel where Jesus said to be not of this world. IMO evangelicals seem too preoccupied with … “Caesar”.  It’s unfamiliar to me.

Makes for interesting conversation on a message board and you started it.

12 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Makes for interesting conversation on a message board and you started it.

Guilty.

image.gif.835003c6d881e0364a2060b2315cd811.gif

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

No I am not. I agree with your post regarding Falwell going to far with injecting Christian beliefs into politics.

Then, I suggest you craft your sentences with more thought.

"The problems arise when authority ie government imposes law in conflict with Christian beliefs."

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Then, I suggest you craft your sentences with more thought.

"The problems arise when authority ie government imposes law in conflict with Christian beliefs."

Do you disagree that it causes problems? 

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Do you disagree that it causes problems? 

Problems for whom? 

I don't think religious beliefs should play a roll in legislation, one way or the other. The government needs to be secular, as our constitution requires. 

Legislation should be drafted for the common good, not to serve or respect a particular religion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

Problems for whom? 

I don't think religious beliefs should play a roll in legislation, one way or the other. The government needs to be secular, as our constitution requires. 

Legislation should be drafted for the common good, not to serve or respect a particular religion.

And I am not saying legislation should pander to one group. You are trying to start an argument that isn’t there. I am saying some issues cause conflict, differences or whatever you choose to call it. 

25 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

And I am not saying legislation should pander to one group. You are trying to start an argument that isn’t there. I am saying some issues cause conflict, differences or whatever you choose to call it. 

Do you have an example of (significant) legislation "pandering to one group"?

Trump's tax cut?

Regardless, our system is generally designed for legislation to reflect majority will, at least regarding social issues.

And I am not trying to start an argument, I am simply questioning what you really meant by your statement:  "The problems arise when authority ie government imposes law in conflict with Christian beliefs."