Auburn is Georgia's Homecoming opponent

On 7/24/2024 at 5:57 PM, Hank2020 said:

I don’t mind Dink being passed by anyone but was hoping we wouldn’t have to deal with him that long. Lol

Thank God for NIL. We wouldn’t have a prayer competing with Kirbs/GA ever again without it.

5 hours ago, Viper said:

He has 20+ years before retirement age. 

And Saban never had a dynasty. You can’t go three years between titles and bestowed a dynasty. A great run, yes, but not a dynasty. John Wooden had a dynasty. Saban never sniffed what Wooden did. 

Saban won 6 Natty's in 12 seasons. That's a dynasty. 2009, 2011, 2012 That's 3 in a 4 year span. 2015, 2017 That's 5 in 9 years. Then 2020. 6 in 12 years is a dynasty. 

If Auburn won 6 in 12 years, in the era Saban did it in, would you say it's just a great run? Or would you say it's a dynasty? From his 1st Natty at Alabama in 2009 until his last Natty in 2020, Saban's teams never went more than 2 seasons without winning a National Title. Not sure where you're getting 3 years from. 

Plus they made the national title game in 2016, 2018 and 2021. Even though those were losses, that's still 9 national title game appearances in a 13 year span. That will never happen again. If that's not a dynasty, then there's never been a dynasty in major college football. 

You're letting your hatred of Alabama and Saban cloud your thinking. I hate them as much as anybody but to say he didn't have a dynasty run at Alabama is just wild.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

Saban won 6 Natty's in 12 seasons. That's a dynasty. 2009, 2011, 2012 That's 3 in a 4 year span. 2015, 2017 That's 5 in 9 years. Then 2020. 6 in 12 years is a dynasty. 

Only two consecutive seasons he won it. 2011 backed their way in. Plus didn’t win the SEC. 2012 backed their way in. Teams HAD to lose in late November for them to even make the title game.

Backed their way in 2017 again after we throttled their asses. Didn’t win the SEC again.

IMO, takes three consecutive seasons at minimum to be a dynasty. We foiled that opportunity 11/30/13.

Sports dynasties are dominating strangleholds for long periods of time. Not win one, win one, lose one, lose one.

If that were the case, Georgia is smack dab in the middle of one currently. But they’re not a dynasty either.

If Auburn won 6 in 12 years, in the era Saban did it in, would you say it's just a great run? Or would you say it's a dynasty?

A great run.

From his 1st Natty at Alabama in 2009 until his last Natty in 2020, Saban's teams never went more than 2 seasons without winning a National Title. Not sure where you're getting 3 years from. 

2015 - 2012 = 3

2020 - 2017 = 3

Plus they made the national title game in 2016, 2018 and 2021. Even though those were losses, that's still 9 national title game appearances in a 13 year span. That will never happen again. If that's not a dynasty, then there's never been a dynasty in major college football. 

You're letting your hatred of Alabama and Saban cloud your thinking. I hate them as much as anybody but to say he didn't have a dynasty run at Alabama is just wild.

Doesn’t cloud my thinking. Two consecutive backed their way in titles, one of them without having to win their conference championship game, does not equal a dynasty.

What would you call Wooden’s SEVEN in a row? An extraordinary dynasty? A super galactic dynasty? I call it simply a dynasty, the only dynasty in fball or bball college sports history, a feat Saban never came close to achieving. 

Edited by Viper
  • Wow 1

56 minutes ago, Viper said:

Only two consecutive seasons he won it. 2011 backed their way in. Plus didn’t win the SEC. 2012 backed their way in. Teams HAD to lose in late November for them to even make the title game.

Backed their way in 2017 again after we throttled their asses. Didn’t win the SEC again.

IMO, takes three consecutive seasons at minimum to be a dynasty. We foiled that opportunity 11/30/13.

Sports dynasties are dominating strangleholds for long periods of time. Not win one, win one, lose one, lose one.

If that were the case, Georgia is smack dab in the middle of one currently. But they’re not a dynasty either.

A great run.

2015 - 2012 = 3

2020 - 2017 = 3

Doesn’t cloud my thinking. Two consecutive backed their way in titles, one of them without having to win their conference championship game, does not equal a dynasty.

What would you call Wooden’s SEVEN in a row? An extraordinary dynasty? A super galactic dynasty? I call it simply a dynasty, the only dynasty in fball or bball college sports history, a feat Saban never came close to achieving. 

After reading your post, it was still a good time for Bama football. BTW, I hope y'all spoil Jawja's homecoming!

2 hours ago, Viper said:

A great run.

2015 - 2012 = 3

2020 - 2017 = 3

We agree more than not, but comparing Wooden (who I totally admire) to Saban, or Auerbach, or whoever's record isn't a dynasty because they didn't win 7 in a row is disingenuous at best. Bud Wilkinson won 47 games in a row at Oklahoma. He didn't win 7 natties but I darn sure would consider that a dynasty. Not arguing cause we're both AU fans and I'm not gonna hijack the thread anymore than I have. 

War Eagle. 

6 hours ago, Viper said:

A great run.

2015 - 2012 = 3

2020 - 2017 = 3

However Alabama and Saban won their titles, at the end of the day all the other schools in the Power conferences had the chance to accomplish all of those things Saban and Alabama accomplished but they didn't. No other coach in D1 college football history has won 7 titles like Saban did. He won 11 SEC Titles (2 at LSU, 9 at Bama). I saw countless people in the media saying last year was Saban's worst team since 2010 because they lost to Texas and struggled to beat South Florida. Then that worst Bama team in 13 years went on to finish 8-0 in the SEC regular season, win the SECCG by beating a Georgia team that was going for their 30th win in a row and then they took undefeated Michigan to overtime in the playoffs. One play away from taking that worst Bama team in 13 years to another National Title game.

His team last year went 12-2 with an SEC Title and CFP appearance, which is pretty much the same thing our 2013 Auburn team accomplished. And that was his worst team in 13 years. 

As far as Wooden, he was absolutely great and arguably the greatest teacher of basketball that ever lived. His run will never be topped in men's college basketball. It's very similar to the UConn women's run that Geno Auriemma had. In that era, Wooden and UCLA had to face about as many good teams as Geno's UConn teams had to face during their run. 

I respect your opinions and I can see your points. We can agree to disagree, it's all good. WDE

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 2

On 7/26/2024 at 6:14 PM, E'Town4Bama said:

After reading your post, it was still a good time for Bama football.

Of course it was. Chargers, suits and free rent for parents, all illegal luxuries used to lure recruits.

Would have been nice if Emmert allowed Auburn to play by the same rules.

But Emmert spent too much of the NCAA's funds investigating Auburn for two years trying to uncover the root of the mysterious 180K instead of what was right in his face.

He chose NOT to do the right thing, looked the other way and sided with his long-time friend instead.

No coincidence he and his buddy retired a mere 7 months apart.

And there you have your results..."a good time for bammer football"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 7/26/2024 at 7:34 PM, JuscAUse! said:

We agree more than not, but comparing Wooden (who I totally admire) to Saban, or Auerbach, or whoever's record isn't a dynasty because they didn't win 7 in a row is disingenuous at best. Bud Wilkinson won 47 games in a row at Oklahoma. He didn't win 7 natties but I darn sure would consider that a dynasty. Not arguing cause we're both AU fans and I'm not gonna hijack the thread anymore than I have. 

War Eagle. 

Two consecutive seasons backing their way in because #2 Oklahoma St and #1 Oregon had to lose the 3rd weekend in November, in order to make a title game, then failing to reach a 3rd, not being called a dynasty, is not being disingenuous. They are facts.

They DIDN'T win a 3rd. They LOST. To their arch rival in fact. Then got punked by Oklahoma. Then LOST to Ole Miss and Ohio St. the following season. How is that a dynasty? It isn't.

Wooden not only won seven in a row, he went undefeated four times. dink went undefeated twice at all programs combined. Since dink landed at LSU, Auburn has gone undefeated twice.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 11:44 PM, TeamZero77 said:

However Alabama and Saban won their titles, at the end of the day all the other schools in the Power conferences had the chance to accomplish all of those things Saban and Alabama accomplished but they didn't. No other coach in D1 college football history has won 7 titles like Saban did. He won 11 SEC Titles (2 at LSU, 9 at Bama). I saw countless people in the media saying last year was Saban's worst team since 2010 because they lost to Texas and struggled to beat South Florida. Then that worst Bama team in 13 years went on to finish 8-0 in the SEC regular season, win the SECCG by beating a Georgia team that was going for their 30th win in a row and then they took undefeated Michigan to overtime in the playoffs. One play away from taking that worst Bama team in 13 years to another National Title game.

His team last year went 12-2 with an SEC Title and CFP appearance, which is pretty much the same thing our 2013 Auburn team accomplished. And that was his worst team in 13 years. 

As far as Wooden, he was absolutely great and arguably the greatest teacher of basketball that ever lived. His run will never be topped in men's college basketball. It's very similar to the UConn women's run that Geno Auriemma had. In that era, Wooden and UCLA had to face about as many good teams as Geno's UConn teams had to face during their run. 

I respect your opinions and I can see your points. We can agree to disagree, it's all good. WDE

Took more head-scratching losses than titles won. Gus and Freeze beat him a combined FIVE times. Let that fact sink in.

No one is saying he didn't win big games. The FACTS are he didn't string them together.

A similarity would be the Spurs from 1999-2014. Great run. Won a bunch of titles. Didn't string them together. Not a dynasty either.

Everyone knew bammer would be good when Saban  got there to say otherwise is bullish but the two teams that made a knack out if ruining our season has been IMO LSU and Georgia.

whenever it felt like this was the year to beat both they would come out and play one of their best games of the season and beat the s*** out of us 

make no mistake beating bammer is a priority as auburn coach but  continuously losing to Georgia will get you fired quicker than losing to bammer 

the Georgia losses were what hurt gus

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheNun said:

Everyone knew bammer would be good when Saban  got there to say otherwise is bullish but the two teams that made a knack out if ruining our season has been IMO LSU and Georgia.

whenever it felt like this was the year to beat both they would come out and play one of their best games of the season and beat the s*** out of us 

make no mistake beating bammer is a priority as auburn coach but  continuously losing to Georgia will get you fired quicker than losing to bammer 

Several of those pre-2017 losses were inexcusable but at this point everyone besides the greatest coach of all time is losing continuously to them…and he’s retired now.

Edited by AUwent

On 7/26/2024 at 6:14 PM, E'Town4Bama said:

After reading your post, it was still a good time for Bama football.

So you facepalm me. Yet you're the lone bammer on an Auburn forum. Hello irony, how art thou?

9 hours ago, TheNun said:

If Gus would have beaten Georgia at least at a respectable clip, he would still be at Auburn. He did reasonably well vs bama.

Edited by arktiger1975

19 hours ago, TheNun said:

continuously losing to Georgia will get you fired quicker than losing to bammer 

Couldn’t be more wrong. 

bammer always has been and always be our top rival, thus beating them is the most critical opponent for the AU HC keeping their job.

Gus beating bammer three times is what continually saved his ass.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Couldn’t be more wrong. 

bammer always has been and always be our top rival, thus beating them is the most critical opponent for the AU HC keeping their job.

From what I heard the Georgia Losses were what did the most harm to his tenure 2-7 against Georgia as auburn HC won’t get you far 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheNun said:

From what I heard the Georgia Losses were what did the most harm to his tenure 2-7 against Georgia as auburn HC won’t get you far 

Take away the 2013 IB win and it wouldn’t have mattered if Gus had beaten GA every time through 2016. He would have been fired after the 2016 IB.

You can’t lose to bammer 4 consecutive times and keep your job.

6 hours ago, Viper said:

Couldn’t be more wrong. 

True then and true now!!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Viper said:

So you facepalm me. Yet you're the lone bammer on an Auburn forum. Hello irony, how art thou?

Art it any you way you want to! I know I am the minority here. BTW, love this website!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Viper said:

Take away the 2013 IB win and it wouldn’t have mattered if Gus had beaten GA every time through 2016. He would have been fired after the 2016 IB.

You can’t lose to bammer 4 consecutive times and keep your job.

I just know growing up an auburn fan you had to beat Alabama or Georgia every year you couldn’t lose to both every year and expect to remain  HC here

Tubs split with both every year save for 04, 05 and 08 say what you will about tubs but he owned bammer even if they were mediocre at the time!

I still say Gus 2-7 record against Georgia did him in more than his 3-5 iron bowl record 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

Art it any you way you want to! I know I am the minority here. BTW, love this website!!

Don’t hate the facts. 

t-town-menswear-owner-tom-albetarjpg-845

tom-albetar-nick-saban.jpg
CLrVJP8VEAAZG1z.jpg

I just know growing up an auburn fan you had to beat Alabama or Georgia every year you couldn’t lose to both every year and expect to remain  HC here

T. Bowden beat them both his last full season and still was forced out. 

say what you will about tubs but he owned bammer even if they were mediocre at the time!

Is why he was allowed to stick around through 2008.

I still say Gus 2-7 record against Georgia did him in more than his 3-5 iron bowl record 

As I said, if it weren’t for the 2013 IB, Gus would have been gone after 2016. That game carried his career FAR more than any other game. He could have went 4-0 against GA from 13-16 and it wouldn’t have mattered.

Auburn (fans) need to focus on the future and demand excellence going forward. Focusing on the past means you ain’t doing anything now.

Freeze now has good players, the coaches he wants, now demand productivity and prove he was the right coach.

No more excuses Hugh.

On 8/1/2024 at 2:18 PM, Viper said:

Don’t hate the facts. 

t-town-menswear-owner-tom-albetarjpg-845

tom-albetar-nick-saban.jpg
CLrVJP8VEAAZG1z.jpg

Met the guy. He was cool. Wasn't Nick Marshall driving a charger when he was cited for Marijuana possession?  Lets be fair because both universities are guilty of so much.

3 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

Met the guy. He was cool. Wasn't Nick Marshall driving a charger when he was cited for Marijuana possession?  Lets be fair because both universities are guilty of so much.

Wasn't T-Town Tom given a cease and desist order from the bammer compliance office to prohibit the use of a student-athlete's name, photograph or likeness to promote a commercial product or service?

Didn't T-Town Tom continue to display signed bammer jerseys in his store windows and sell autographed bammer items after the cease and desist order?

Didn't T-Town Tom host a signing event for McElroy and Arenas after the cease and desist order?

Wonder why a guy that ONLY sells suits to the public would be given a cease and desist order?

Couldn't be because he was a booster providing trading of memorabilia for suits and/or store discounts. Because THAT would have been extremely illegal at that time, rendering all players involved (Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram, Julio Jones, Nico Johnson) retroactively ineligible, leading to the forfeiture of all games appeared in.

I guess T-Town Tom either didn't comprehend what "cease and desist" truly meant. Or he stuck his finger in the air to the bammer compliance office because he just didn't give a damn about complying with their pesky, meaningless cease and desist order...to hell with the consequences of the program...because it's all about making as much dough as possible off bammer football before he had to go back to selling just suits instead of jerseys to the public.

I'm betting the latter rather than the former. What say you, bammer?

On 7/26/2024 at 11:44 PM, TeamZero77 said:

This ^^^^ Dynasty. Save his 1st year, they were always in both the SEC championship picture and the national picture like no other team.  I hate Alabama and I want you to hate them too...but to think they have not been a dynasty since 2009 is pure denial.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1