Auburn is Georgia's Homecoming opponent

What are we at 20 years now of complete dominance by Georgia? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gravejd said:

If we lose to them this year (pretty likely since it's in Athens) we will be 3-17 in our last 20 meetings against them. We've lost 7 in a row against them. 

• Angry 1

8 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Another crazy stat for us is that our last win in Athens is 2005.

What’s odd for me is I grew up watching AU win in Athens every single time. 

After the curbstomp in 1999 with a first-year mediocre Tubbs team, I didn’t think we’d ever lose in Athens again.

• Like 4

If you want to keep playing Georgia every year, you’re going to have to accept that you will lose the vast majority of the time, sorry. Georgia is the flagship school in the most fertile recruiting ground in the country. Combine that with how little HC turnover they’ve had and they can have anyone they want once Kirby steps down. They are never going to be what they were in the 80s and 90s again. Make peace with that, most teams sure have. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

If you want to keep playing Georgia every year, you’re going to have to accept that you will lose the vast majority of the time, sorry. Georgia is the flagship school in the most fertile recruiting ground in the country. Combine that with how little HC turnover they’ve had and they can have anyone they want once Kirby steps down. They are never going to be what they were in the 80s and 90s again. Make peace with that, most teams sure have. 🤷‍♂️ 

I believe that eventually Kirby will get itchy feet to move on to something else (NFL, Politics, TV). Too young to stay for the duration.

13 hours ago, gravejd said:

image.gif.d623f975f56abb7594efcd7eb726bf59.gif

15 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Another crazy stat for us is that our last win in Athens is 2005.

Vanderbilt has won in Athens twice since we have. Vandy won in Athens in 2006 and 2016. 

2010 and 2013 seems pretty recent to me but to these high school kids, they don't remember seeing Auburn and Cam Newton run wild in 2010. I've seen Hank Brown and Cam Coleman both say that they don't remember us winning the 2010 Natty or Cam Newton winning the Heisman. They've seen his highlights and read the stories but that's it. The majority of the recruits probably remember 2017 if they grew up as Auburn, Bama or Georgia fans and I'm sure they remember us beating Bama in 2019. But for the better part of their lives, Auburn has been pretty average. 

honestly I'm 25 and watched most of 2010 and most minutia would be lost on me at this point. This I believe is the last possible year for 1999 kids (unless they're like Cam Rising and have 45 medical redshirt years). Hell, even most 2000 kids are gonna be out after this season. No way a freshman would be able to tell you much past highlights of the Iron Bowl or Cam's run against LSU or the National Championship 

4 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I believe that eventually Kirby will get itchy feet to move on to something else (NFL, Politics, TV). Too young to stay for the duration.

Tbh he could do that, get spanked and still come back to Georgia. Like he's young enough for that eventuality too lol

I don't think he'd leave for another 10 years or so though. NIL hasn't been a real problem for them. They're able to field legions of criminals without real interference. The SEC would need like 3 more Texas/Alabama/OU tier programs before UGA is really at threat of missing the playoffs most years. 

And even with hoping he leaves, he'll likely have groomed at least one high end coordinator by that point like Saban did for him. It'd be nice if they fell off again, but I don't see that happening for a good minute 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Tbh he could do that, get spanked and still come back to Georgia. Like he's young enough for that eventuality too lol

I don't think he'd leave for another 10 years or so though. NIL hasn't been a real problem for them. They're able to field legions of criminals without real interference. The SEC would need like 3 more Texas/Alabama/OU tier programs before UGA is really at threat of missing the playoffs most years. 

And even with hoping he leaves, he'll likely have groomed at least one high end coordinator by that point like Saban did for him. It'd be nice if they fell off again, but I don't see that happening for a good minute 

Light bulb just went off bc of this statement.   Is UGA the new FSU & Miami of the 90's & early 2000's?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Disagreed. He’ll retire at GA and surpass every accomplishment dink achieved. 

On 7/22/2024 at 8:57 AM, arktiger1975 said:

I think a lot of his hatred is born out of the fact that when he played, UGA struggled with Auburn. We beat them in Athens in 1995, they needed that crazy miracle to beat us in 1996, we embarrassed them in Athens (as a heavy underdog) in 1997, and they struggled to beat one of our weakest teams ever in 1998. In addition, I can't remember the player, but one of our RBs absolutely steamrolled him in one of the games. In particular, I think the 97 game galls him. They had just come off a big win over Florida, finally beating Spurrier for the first time. Then we went into Athens, tanned those silver britches, and basically ruined their season.

My guesses:

1. Stephen Davis 2. Fred Beasley 3. Rusty Williams

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Viper said:

I don’t mind Dink being passed by anyone but was hoping we wouldn’t have to deal with him that long. Lol

In the old days, I would totally agree with Viper. But if something doesn't change as far as the work day, week, year, a coach that would put up with that workload for decades will become a thing of the past. Maybe not at Northwestern, Oregon State, Vandy, Purdue, etc.,. But at Georgia and the big guys, it will not be common, IMO.

Saban said that college football needs an expanded playoff for the good of the game, and it wouldn't be good for him personally. After the transfer rules, it would make it easier for teams to get good players and dilute the talent level available to the big guys. I think he was right. If rules are somehow put in place to equalize the financial side, players will get the same money and can commit to schools close to home. It will take some years, but that could make for some really good football overall. Again JMO.

• Like 1

The beating they put on us in 2006 in our own stadium in convinced put a hex on us to where we just lay down for them every year 

and 16 were years we should’ve beaten Georgia 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheNun said:

The beating they put on us in 2006 in our own stadium in convinced put a hex on us to where we just lay down for them every year 

That game in 2016 should have been the last game Gus coached at AU. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheNun said:

That 2016 loss to UGA still pisses me off. That was Kirby's first year as UGA head coach and he lost to Vanderbilt and a bad Ole Miss team.

The crazy thing about that 2016 Ole Miss team was that it would end up being Freeze's last year at Ole Miss and they finished 5-7 but they beat Georgia 45-14. To this day, that's the worst anyone has beaten a Kirby Smart coached UGA team. Followed closely by Auburn's 40-17 win over UGA in 2017. Who would've thought that Hugh Freeze and Gus would be Kirby's most lopsided losses?

Hugh Freeze definitely had Kirby's number for awhile. Hugh beat a Kirby Smart led defense 3 years in a row 2014, 2015 (Kirby DC at Bama) and 2016. That was one of the main reasons I was excited about us hiring Freeze.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

That 2016 loss to UGA still pisses me off. That was Kirby's first year as UGA head coach and he lost to Vanderbilt and a bad Ole Miss team.

The crazy thing about that 2016 Ole Miss team was that it would end up being Freeze's last year at Ole Miss and they finished 5-7 but they beat Georgia 45-14. To this day, that's the worst anyone has beaten a Kirby Smart coached UGA team. Followed closely by Auburn's 40-17 win over UGA in 2017. Who would've thought that Hugh Freeze and Gus would be Kirby's most lopsided losses?

Hugh Freeze definitely had Kirby's number for awhile. Hugh beat a Kirby Smart led defense 3 years in a row 2014, 2015 (Kirby DC at Bama) and 2016. That was one of the main reasons I was excited about us hiring Freeze.

Hugh has them on the ropes last year too, for much of the game. :realmad:

8 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

I wanted him gone in 2015 after the JSU game in 15 even though we won it was on the same level as Chizik needing overtime to beat ULM (2012) Harsin barely beating Georgia state (2021)and Freeze losing to New Mexico State last year 

2015 against JSU was what showed me Gus wasn’t going to make it 13 and 14 were good year but 15 was inexcusable 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2024 at 8:24 AM, gravejd said:

Well, it's getting close. To me, the series very clearly changed on that infamous November day in 2006. They brought a bad team to Auburn. We still had an outside shot at sneaking into the national championship game. What followed was one of the most pathetic performances that I can ever remember by an Auburn team. We had a gazillion turnovers, couldn't do anything right, and got blown out. The series has never been the same since that day.

Edited by arktiger1975

23 hours ago, TheNun said:

I agree 100%! That 2006 game is where it all changed.

On 7/24/2024 at 9:03 AM, Viper said:

I disagree about surpassing what Saban did- for one simple reason. The landscape of college sports has changed. With the portal and NIL, you won't ever see those 10-15 year dynasties again.

22 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Preach that, brother. Not even sure why we came out of the locker room at halftime in that one.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Preach that, brother. Not even sure why we came out of the locker room at halftime in that one.

Auburn was winning at halftime playing a 3rd or 4th string RB and a Qb whose arm didn’t work.  

Just saw where RaRa Thomas got arrested with some pretty serious charges.  Glad Auburn didn’t win that recruiting battle. 

1 hour ago, arktiger1975 said:

Well, it's getting close. To me, the series very clearly changed in that infamous November day in 2006. They brought a bad team to Auburn. We still had an outside shot at sneaking into the national championship game. What followed was one of the most pathetic performances that I can ever remember by an Auburn team. We had a gazillion turnovers, couldn't do anything right, and got blown out. The series has never been the same since that day.

Just looked at the box score for that game and...yikes. 

Brandon Cox was 4/12 for 35 yards 1 TD and 4 INTs 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

I disagree about surpassing what Saban did- for one simple reason. The landscape of college sports has changed. With the portal and NIL, you won't ever see those 10-15 year dynasties again.

He has 20+ years before retirement age. 

And Saban never had a dynasty. You can’t go three years between titles and bestowed a dynasty. A great run, yes, but not a dynasty. John Wooden had a dynasty. Saban never sniffed what Wooden did.