Can someone tell me why it is acceptable to mispronounce Kamala? Seems childish.

Every speaker I have heard at the Republican Convention has purposefully mispronounced the Vice President's name.  Doing that screams trash to me.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Every speaker I have heard at the Republican Convention has purposefully mispronounced the Vice President's name.  Doing that screams trash to me.

Welp. You should ask President Biden. He's called her at least three different names. ;D

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, AU9377 said:

My guess would be to show an outward lack of respect. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I suppose it is perfectly fine to call him Donnie Dump instead of Donald Trump.  Of course, most people were taught as children that two wrongs don't make it right.

• Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Because she’s a woman and she’s black. 

Pick one or both. 

No.  She is VP because she is a woman & she is a woman of color (not black)

The reason she is being treated like a clown is because she acts like one.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

46 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I suppose it is perfectly fine to call him Donnie Dump instead of Donald Trump.  Of course, most people were taught as children that two wrongs don't make it right.

Yes.  It's a pun.  It hurts no one.   Go right ahead.

The name is unusual, and it's not clear just by looking whether the 1st syllable is pronounced Cam or Com, and most people would assume Cam.  Then it's a crap shoot on which syllable is accented.  Most people have heard so many mispronunciations that they forget which one is correct, so I think you can mostly chalk it up to laziness.   That said, if I had to give a nationally televised speech tomorrow, I'd make sure I had it straight. So yeah, there is an element of disrespect.  However,  I doubt if you will see much respect given to President Trump and JD Vance at the DNC next month either. 

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Childishness is another core principle.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Childishness is another core principle.

Democrats have one in the White House. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

A core principle?

If it walks like a child, and acts like a child......

• Haha 2

Know your audience. Red meat for the base. Start with the mocking of an unusual not-like-me name. Pretty heady stuff.

Saw it when my kids were in early grade school on the playground all tithe time. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Welp. You should ask President Biden. He's called her at least three different names. ;D

Not deliberately;D

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Yep, he even called her Trump the other day.

You really want to waste time exchanging examples?  :rolleyes:

39 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

The name is unusual, and it's not clear just by looking whether the 1st syllable is pronounced Cam or Com, and most people would assume Cam.  Then it's a crap shoot on which syllable is accented.  Most people have heard so many mispronunciations that they forget which one is correct, so I think you can mostly chalk it up to laziness.   That said, if I had to give a nationally televised speech tomorrow, I'd make sure I had it straight. So yeah, there is an element of disrespect.  However,  I doubt if you will see much respect given to President Trump and JD Vance at the DNC next month either. 

You are smarter than to think "it's a crap shoot on which syllable is accented."  I don't believe you will see the childish level of disrespect like that next month.  I'm sure there will be some speakers that bring up all sorts of things, but there won't be an organized effort as silly as that.  If so, they should also be called out for their childish behavior.

The only thing more offensive last night was the constant mind numbingly ridiculous comments that claimed God saved Donald Trump.  That assumes that God killed the man that died instead.  Saying things like that only serves to cheapen faith arguments in general.  Using God to suggest he dislikes everyone but people like you portrays God in your image, instead of the other way around.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

The only thing more offensive last night was the constant mind numbingly ridiculous comments that claimed God saved Donald Trump.  That assumes that God killed the man that died instead.  Saying things like that only serves to cheapen faith arguments in general.  Using God to suggest he dislikes everyone but people like you portrays God in your image, instead of the other way around.

Well, "God works in mysterious ways....."    :rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, homersapien said:

You really want to waste time exchanging examples?  :rolleyes:

Sure. Only one party came away from the debate wanting a new candidate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Sure. Only one party came away from the debate wanting a new candidate. 

Yep, the sensible and responsible one.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

You are smarter than to think "it's a crap shoot on which syllable is accented."  I don't believe you will see the childish level of disrespect like that next month.  I'm sure there will be some speakers that bring up all sorts of things, but there won't be an organized effort as silly as that.  If so, they should also be called out for their childish behavior.

I would have no problem with anyone giving thanks to God for Trumps outcome. Get what you are saying about the saved part. Didn’t watch last night. Looks like everyone is claiming to be united, probably drinking their share and having a big time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Yep, he even called her Trump the other day.

Fighting words!

• Haha 2