Auburn and UCLA cancel series

Word is that we may replace them with Georgia Tech 

• Angry 1

8 minutes ago, im4aual said:

Incorrect. It will be SMU in Dallas @ Jerry World.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Disappointed I won’t get to go to the Rose Bowl again.  Maybe Auburn can get back to the Rose Bowl in the playoffs.  SMU is somewhat underwhelming but I’m sure they’ll have an all time season by the time Auburn arrives.  Will be cool to see Jerry World.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TheNun said:

UCLA reportedly requested cancellation. Because they want to keep non conference games with cal and Utah ?

Not exactly.  It was 'mutual' at best ...

I think the Cal experience ruined it.  We got nothing out of it.  Trekking all the way across the country, major time zone hurdles for the players and logistics in a non playoff/bowl game regular week, players just sat in their hotels ... really no point in it.  Freeze literally asked the question "why are we playing Cal" when there are all these west of the Mississippi River teams that we would get the same out of, if not more ... especially from a recruiting, experience perspective, etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

I think the Cal experience ruined it.  We got nothing out of it.  Trekking all the way across the country, major time zone hurdles for the players and logistics in a non playoff/bowl game regular week, players just sat in their hotels ... really no point in it.  Freeze literally asked the question "why are we playing Cal" when there are all these west of the Mississippi River teams that we would get the same out of, if not more ... especially from a recruiting, experience perspective, etc.

I had a good time in Berkeley.  Probably never would have visited that campus and stadium otherwise.  Guess the games aren’t for me though.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I had a good time in Berkeley.  Probably never would have visited that campus and stadium otherwise.  Guess the games aren’t for me though.

I don't necessarily disagree - but, it is a huge strain on the program, logistics, players, etc.

18 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Disappointed I won’t get to go to the Rose Bowl again.  Maybe Auburn can get back to the Rose Bowl in the playoffs.  SMU is somewhat underwhelming but I’m sure they’ll have an all time season by the time Auburn arrives.  Will be cool to see Jerry World.

I'd take the "somewhat" out of that description, or replace it with "completely."

Hopefully it'll be an evening kickoff for those of you attending. If it isn't, hope for a cloudy day if you have seats facing west.

image.png

• Haha 1

If we're still keeping the home-and-home with Baylor, there will be even less to do in Waco than Berkeley, and it's not like it'll be crisp and cool in late August, either. But, at least there's no time change.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Will be cool to see Jerry World.

Wasn’t the 2019 Oregon game in Jerry World?

That sucks. Looking forward to that match up. 

4 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Just imagine what ucla/usc/uw/ducks gonna feel like back and forth to Midwest and northeast.  Now way those kids can keep up with their studies 🤔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

If we're still keeping the home-and-home with Baylor, there will be even less to do in Waco than Berkeley, and it's not like it'll be crisp and cool in late August, either. But, at least there's no time change.

The suburban Dallas trip for SMU to play at Jerry World will be hot as hell too to hang out in a parking lot..

How about we meet UCLA in the playoff? Well, okay, it is more likely to be a minor bowl.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TheNun said:

Where is everybody seein the SMU news I can’t find anything 

I am the news ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1

14 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Pay Dye what?

Just taking a page from the great Pat Dye

"I don't believe Georgia's man enough to beat Alabama," he famously said twice on the Paul Finebaum show the week of the game. 2002

• WarTiger changed the title to Auburn and UCLA cancel series
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2024 at 8:43 AM, im4aual said:

I’d actually support this. That used to be a rivalry game long ago. Let’s bring back the pajama parade!

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

I’d actually support this. That used to be a rivalry game long ago. Let’s bring back the pajama parade!

Golf gonna be pissed if that happens. He has it in for GT!! Lol

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 1:48 PM, DAG said:

That sucks. Looking forward to that match up. 

Could see this coming after Hugh threw a temper tantrum and heavily complained about it.  I don't see any logic of going to play a one sided SMU quasi-home game after already playing a game in Texas.

If you complain about playing a team like Cal and questioning what we got out of it, SMU should be nearly the same situation.  There is zero upside.  Beat them, "eh it is SMU".  Lose to them and you're losing to a G5 team

• Like 2