I've been down on the Gulf coast enjoying the warm clear waters of Cape San Blas

We had a wonderful time.  No, I didn't stop by the Trump novelty store in Port St. Joe.  I see crazy is alive and well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

We had a wonderful time.  No, I didn't stop by the Trump novelty store in Port St. Joe.  I see crazy is alive and well.

Great place. Had a place at Mexico Beach for years and still visit the area frequently. Over on Saint Joe Beach just a couple of weeks ago and had other family over at the Cape. San Blas has been pretty well kept secret for years but really growing in popularity now. 

Definitely Trump country along the coast. Runs all the way over to Bay St Louis MS. Think we had like two liberals in Mexico Beach and kept a close eye on them. BTW, Trump store in Panama City is on 23rd St and offers free coffee.

26 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Great place. Had a place at Mexico Beach for years and still visit the area frequently. Over on Saint Joe Beach just a couple of weeks ago and had other family over at the Cape. San Blas has been pretty well kept secret for years but really growing in popularity now. 

Definitely Trump country along the coast. Runs all the way over to Bay St Louis MS. Think we had like two liberals in Mexico Beach and kept a close eye on them. BTW, Trump store in Panama City is on 23rd St and offers free coffee.

Noted. LOL

It is still a pretty well kept secret.  It is priced to keep it that way.  We usually go to St George, but decided to try something different this year.  We will likely go back to St George next year, but not because San Blas was anything less than spectacular.  We do this trip with the entire family and some prefer the beach, while others want to fish or just hang out at the house.  The price increases are out of this world, but so far it has been worth it to get everyone in one place and make some great memories. 

I would love to buy a place down there at some point but, unfortunately, that may require waiting until another hurricane comes thru before I can justify that kind of expense as an investment. What was a $250k investment 10 years ago is now a $1 million investment.  I saw a double wide listed for $325 in Port St Joe.  I just thought... "I hope they find their fool." 

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Noted. LOL

It is still a pretty well kept secret.  It is priced to keep it that way.  We usually go to St George, but decided to try something different this year.  We will likely go back to St George next year, but not because San Blas was anything less than spectacular.  We do this trip with the entire family and some prefer the beach, while others want to fish or just hang out at the house.  The price increases are out of this world, but so far it has been worth it to get everyone in one place and make some great memories. 

I would love to buy a place down there at some point but, unfortunately, that may require waiting until another hurricane comes thru before I can justify that kind of expense as an investment. What was a $250k investment 10 years ago is now a $1 million investment.  I saw a double wide listed for $325 in Port St Joe.  I just thought... "I hope they find their fool." 

Some people on 30A now prefer San Blas over the crowds to the west. Know a few who have sold and relocated. To me the Port St Joe/Apalachicola area is neat with a lot of old Florida close by. Draws a different type crowd imo. 

As I recall prices were already a bit sporty on San Blas before the Hurricane. Hard to justify beach property as an investment today. Associated cost of owning are a real money pit.

• Like 1

I prefer Carrabelle, but I’m not opposed to just about anywhere along the forgotten or emerald coast. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Some people on 30A now prefer San Blas over the crowds to the west. Know a few who have sold and relocated. To me the Port St Joe/Apalachicola area is neat with a lot of old Florida close by. Draws a different type crowd imo. 

As I recall prices were already a bit sporty on San Blas before the Hurricane. Hard to justify beach property as an investment today. Associated cost of owning are a real money pit.

Like most people growing up in the Deep South, I loved Panama City Beach, Destin, Ft Walton growing up.  That progressed to Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Perdido Key and now over to those communities from Mexico Beach East toward the bend.  I have nothing against any of those destinations, but it does feel as though we are running from the crowds of people and everything that comes with them. 

As an 18 year old (16 even) I loved the crowds.  I still enjoy people watching from time to time and meeting new and interesting people.  I just value those places where my 15 and 16 year old nieces can take the golf cart to the store, grab a pizza and come back without everyone being on edge concerned about their safety.  There is always risk, but to minimize the risk and allow them the freedom to explore the world is real value.

• Like 2

When I was growing up nothing was in Gulf Shores other than the old Hangout, a few convenience stores, and a few beach houses along 98. Fort Walton was a popular place but Destin consisted of a marina and fish house only.

Spent a lot of time there in my youthful summer of 77. Jaws 2 was being filmed over at Navarre and really interesting stuff. Only thing out there was a Holiday Inn. All cast and staff stayed there and the inside pool area was used in one of the scenes. Had the mechanical shark and other props staged on the beach in a pole barn. Even saw Roy Schneider on the beach one Sunday. He was smoking a Salem cigarette, drinking a Natural Light beer, and told us he was carpenter in town building a dock.

Nothing existed between Destin and PC other than a fish camp/bait shop or two around Grayton Beach. Of course Panama City at the time was full of mom/pop hotels and definitely a family destination. 

BTW, if ever in the OB area look up a place called The Point in Perdido to eat. Off the beaten path and sort of a local secret. Promise you will not be disappointed and pricing is right. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

When I was growing up nothing was in Gulf Shores other than the old Hangout, a few convenience stores, and a few beach houses along 98. Fort Walton was a popular place but Destin consisted of a marina and fish house only.

Spent a lot of time there in my youthful summer of 77. Jaws 2 was being filmed over at Navarre and really interesting stuff. Only thing out there was a Holiday Inn. All cast and staff stayed there and the inside pool area was used in one of the scenes. Had the mechanical shark and other props staged on the beach in a pole barn. Even saw Roy Schneider on the beach one Sunday. He was smoking a Salem cigarette, drinking a Natural Light beer, and told us he was carpenter in town building a dock.

Nothing existed between Destin and PC other than a fish camp/bait shop or two around Grayton Beach. Of course Panama City at the time was full of mom/pop hotels and definitely a family destination. 

BTW, if ever in the OB area look up a place called The Point in Perdido to eat. Off the beaten path and sort of a local secret. Promise you will not be disappointed and pricing is right. 

My wife and I visited Grayton Beach in the early 70's when a major access bridge was out.  We had it completely to ourselves and declared it a nude beach for the two days we were there. ;D

It was beautiful.  The Monarch butterflies were migrating across the Gulf and were flying by the hundreds just overhead.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

We’re over on St. George Island and man the Forgotten Coast has now become our go to vacation spot. 

• Like 1

Being the man of the house setting up “home base” is my lot lol. I’m the only one down here right now. Everyone else still doing breakfast. IMG_5216.thumb.jpeg.7d415eea6371e1b360c20ca60dfa74d3.jpeg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Being the man of the house setting up “home base” is my lot lol. I’m the only one down here right now. Everyone else still doing breakfast. IMG_5216.thumb.jpeg.7d415eea6371e1b360c20ca60dfa74d3.jpeg

Know you will but be wary of sharks. Talking with a friend yesterday and they spotted a huge one on beach side of sand bar at Mexico Beach a few days. Drew enough attention that FFW sent a boat to patrol the area and make sure it had made it back to deep water. We saw a fairly large one cruising ST Joe Beach a couple of weeks ago. Don’t know if there are actually more in close or if the attacks have just keened awareness. 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

My wife and I visited Grayton Beach in the early 70's when a major access bridge was out.  We had it completely to ourselves and declared it a nude beach for the two days we were there. ;D

It was beautiful.  The Monarch butterflies were migrating across the Gulf and were flying by the hundreds just overhead.

Wouldn’t care about seeing you run around naked but love the butterflies. We always had plenty in PC at certain times during through the year. 

https://www.newsherald.com/story/news/2017/09/19/monarch-gulf-fritillary-other-butterflies-migrating-south/18774733007/

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Wouldn’t care about seeing you run around naked but love the butterflies. We always had plenty in PC at certain times during through the year. 

https://www.newsherald.com/story/news/2017/09/19/monarch-gulf-fritillary-other-butterflies-migrating-south/18774733007/

Unless you're gay, I seriously doubt you would have been looking at me. ;)

The butterflies were absolutely surreal.  Hundreds and hundreds of them at different levels right down to head level.  It was like a movie scene with computer graphics, only real. What a wonderful planet we live on.

Thanks for the link. It was interesting.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Unless you're gay, I seriously doubt you would have been looking at me. ;)

The butterflies were absolutely surreal.  Hundreds and hundreds of them at different levels right down to head level.  It was like a movie scene with computer graphics, only real. What a wonderful planet we live on.

Thanks for the link. It was interesting.

Never saw anything like that but we saw bunches of them. Seems they were most abundant in the fall or at least that is when I took note. Speaking of migration,  we didn’t have humming birds here until two weeks ago. Have plenty now. Had the feeder out since late April. 

37 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Know you will but be wary of sharks. Talking with a friend yesterday and they spotted a huge one on beach side of sand bar at Mexico Beach a few days. Drew enough attention that FFW sent a boat to patrol the area and make sure it had made it back to deep water. We saw a fairly large one cruising ST Joe Beach a couple of weeks ago. Don’t know if there are actually more in close or if the attacks have just keened awareness. 

More worried the jellyfish. Been zapped twice. 

• Like 1

Just now, AUDub said:

More worried the jellyfish. Been zapped twice. 

Ouch and like the attitude. Just saying I wouldn’t strap bait on my side and go wade fishing. 

20 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Ouch and like the attitude. Just saying I wouldn’t strap bait on my side and go wade fishing. 

Think we found our spot. We were a PCB family but got priced out of our preferred place. Tried Port St Joe last year and loved the house but didn’t like the beach situation. Here the house isn’t quite as nice but the beach situation is phenomenal.

Damned Jellyfish are a problem but that’s everywhere down here from time to time. Freaking moon jellies. 

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Never saw anything like that but we saw bunches of them. Seems they were most abundant in the fall or at least that is when I took note. Speaking of migration,  we didn’t have humming birds here until two weeks ago. Have plenty now. Had the feeder out since late April. 

Our humming bird population has been low the last two years.  We've had only a few this year and we used to have dozens at a time.  I up-graded to a large, wide-mouth feeder two years ago but have been making only 1 cup of sugar water at a time for it, which lasts about a week.

Hummingbirds are another amazing animal.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 6:45 PM, SaltyTiger said:

I remember when 30A was largely empty land. Kinda stunning what has happened in 40 years.

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I remember when 30A was largely empty land. Kinda stunning what has happened in 40 years.

Shoot I remember when PCB was nothing to what it is now. Was still a resort town of course but nothing to what it is today. 

50 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Exactly, have heard stories from a few people who had family that owned property along coastal 30A years ago. Practically gave it away. In the middle of no where and wasn’t fit to farm. 

We have done an amazing job the past 40 or 50 years of ruining some beautiful areas. Piss poor planning and unbridled development. Concrete, asphalt, roof lines are a huge problem in sensitive areas. Not to mention waste disposal.

Lake Martin Alabama has experienced similar change in that time frame.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AUDub said:

Shoot I remember when PCB was nothing to what it is now. Was still a resort town of course but nothing to what it is today. 

It was family fun most anyone could afford.

• Like 1

Oddly one of the things I really miss about PCB was being close to Tyndall and seeing the F22s, Ospreys and C130s flying in and out. You can hear the F22s here as they’re out doing their exercises but they’re all over the horizon.

Drives my wife crazy when I’d point out a raptor and say “there goes a quarter billion dollars of freedom” lol. 

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

Oddly one of the things I really miss about PCB was being close to Tyndall and seeing the F22s, Ospreys and C130s flying in and out. You can hear the F22s here as they’re out doing their exercises but they’re all over the horizon.

Drives my wife crazy when I’d point out a raptor and say “there goes a quarter billion dollars of freedom” lol. 

Always get some great free flyovers. When we lived at Mexico Beach seemed they did a lot of night exercises on Thursday. Would be half asleep at times when they would start roaring overhead. Always told the wife that I sure did feel safe.

If you haven’t seen Tyndall in a while it is something to see. One massive construction site. Really amazing. Used to do a lot of fishing behind Tyndall in Andrews Sound. Untouched, natural and a beautiful place. Never knew what you might see there in the way of wildlife or sea creatures. 

On 7/10/2024 at 11:32 AM, AUDub said:

Think we found our spot. We were a PCB family but got priced out of our preferred place. Tried Port St Joe last year and loved the house but didn’t like the beach situation. Here the house isn’t quite as nice but the beach situation is phenomenal.

Damned Jellyfish are a problem but that’s everywhere down here from time to time. Freaking moon jellies. 

This is our experience precisely.  St. George is truly a special place.  It has gotten pricey, but we will be back.   I just hope we can find a house for less than $5k for the week.