2024 season is a success if…

I think the season is a success if we get to 8 or more wins and a top 10 recruiting class. Obviously more wins will be better, but it's also obvious that our talent level has suffered for years and it takes time to build the foundation needed to be near the top in the toughest conference. Hopefully, we can keep moving up.

• Like 3

The offense looked really really bad last year under an offensive minded HC. This has to improve. We were lucky to have the defense step up and keep us in games. 
Keep the recruiting momentum and sign a top 10 class. If HF gets a big QB transfer next year I think it would be a very good sign we are trending in a good direction. 
Right now 8 wins seems very achievable with OK and aTm at home. Get a road win in KY and/or Missouri and that would be a very positive sign. 

23 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I'd take an 11-1 season with A spot in the playoffs, but a loss to Bama , any day of the week.

The Turds are our rivals and i love to beat them but our performance against them doesn't define our program and years aren't good or bad solely based on if we beat Bama or not. 

Exactly!

Alabama is not the reason Auburn has been largely irrelevant since 2013 and they are not reason Vanderbilt is the only team in the SEC that has lost more games in that time period. 

Auburn better find a way to get over the hump & get back to beating a whole lot more teams than the turds. 

• Like 1

Freeze is in total control of the offense this year. The offense will be composed of his schemes, his gameplans and his play calling. In addition, he will be able to talk in the headset directly to his QB between plays. I think that is a big benefit for the Freeze/Thorne combination. All positives in my opinion. Even with all the issues, we SHOULD have had 8 wins last season, so I will start from there.

* 8 wins minimum

* a much improved and very productive offense

* a very much improved QB

* a defense that continues to improve 

* no head up your keester losses

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Exactly!

Alabama is not the reason Auburn has been largely irrelevant since 2013 and they are not reason Vanderbilt is the only team in the SEC that has lost more games in that time period. 

Auburn better find a way to get over the hump & get back to beating a whole lot more teams than the turds. 

The playoff will likely expand to 14 teams after a team from the current Big 12 gets a first round bye, so we would’ve had two playoff appearances since then. Like it or not, unless one of UAT or UGA completely self destructs, 2016-19 is realistically what we should hope for going forward, aka make the expanded playoffs half the time and get into the quarterfinals every few years.

Edited by AUwent

Just now, AUwent said:

The playoff will likely expand to 14 teams after a team from the current Big 12 gets a first round bye, so we would’ve had two playoff appearances since then. Like it or not, unless one of UAT or UGA completely self destructs, 2016-19 is realistically what we should hope for going forward. The big two have a giant impact on our ability. Do you really think Dye does as well if Bear is healthy enough to stick around another decade? I and many others were much too hard on Gus.

I say 16 will be the cut off. 

22 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Exactly!

That was one of the reasons I got so annoyed during our last couple of coaching searches, I would see where folks would say “hire this person “

id  say “why?”

because they’ve beaten bama before 

and my response would be well if we are just hiring them because they beat bama then we should’ve kept Gus, Chizik or tuberville if beating bama is all that matters. I heard the same arguement when folks wanted freeze 

I do think some of our fans were spoiled A bit by that long win streak tubs put on bama. But I can promise you when they fired Shula they didn’t say “let’s hire this guy cause he’s beat auburn “ 

• Like 6

Example I saw a post this morning on social media that we have an sec record of 40-35 since 2018.

beating bammer is nice but it would be even nicer to improve our record against the rest of the league too.

• Like 2

We need to get back to 8 win seasons 2 years in a row putting the coach on the hot seat. 

This is not the auburn I know 🫤

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 win season

No losses to teams significant less in talent than us.

Beating one of our premier rivals (Don’t see that happening) or a team who will probably be a favorite over us (looking at you Oklahoma).

offense needs to look competent

A bowl win. 

Winning a freaking bowl game man! Good grief we have to be the worst program in the country the last decade in them. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Winning a freaking bowl game man! Good grief we have to be the worst program in the country the last decade in them. 

Does anyone else think that what our rivals do is a big part in why we can’t seem to get up for a bowl? 

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Does anyone else think that what our rivals do is a big part in why we can’t seem to get up for a bowl? 

Idk but it hasn’t mattered who our coach is or what bowl game it has been since Chiz. Every head coach has been absolutely freaking awful in bowl games to this point. Hoping freeze can change that.

7 wins? Nah, we need 8-9 ... you guys are shooting too low!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Win the games you would historically expect AU to win and will be  8-4. Steal one of the other 4 and we’re 9-3. That plus another Top 10 recruiting class and I would be happy with that. 

• Like 1

For years, I've always used 9 wins as the benchmark for a solid (if not great season). Anything less than that, I've always considered mediocre. I stand by that.

• Like 2

8-9 wins and better consistency. We seemed to find something mid-season only to fall apart down the stretch. If what the players and coaches are saying about a stronger culture is true, I think we’ll have it.

• Like 1

I ask what I always ask.

The players give 100%.  < not hyperbole.    Look competent in every game.  win the one's we should,  and compete competently against those we are not supposed to.    Never give up, and represent Auburn with class and dignity. 

There is no shame in losing to a better team.  the shame and failure  (and Losses)   is in missing one or more in the list above. 

That being said,  we NEED to start getting more W's.

• Like 2

Off topic but was listening to radio on way to work yesterday and they mentioned forecasted ticket prices of potential future national championship matchups 

Auburn/Boise would be expected to be near the $8000 range 

while Auburn/Notre Dame would possibly triple that 

• 2 weeks later...

IMO matching the recruiting momentum we currently have with strong performances on the field (close losses to better teams being acceptable ) is imperative this year. We can’t give our rivals the recruiting ammunition of bad loses and poor in game coaching to beat us on the recruiting trail 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

IMO matching the recruiting momentum we currently have with strong performances on the field (close losses to better teams being acceptable ) is imperative this year. We can’t give our rivals the recruiting ammunition of bad loses and poor in game coaching to beat us on the recruiting trail 

I agree to a point. I was pretty much amazed at the number of games that AU would be favored in pre season. In Vegas,  that is. There is a reason our preseason win/loss, over/under number is 6-7, depending on the site. We're not favored in any big games at this point. That can all change for the better or not when the season starts.

3 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Yep we need at minimal 8 wins not including the bowl game IMO.