Trump and Project 2025

56 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

No I’m more concerned with the civil servants being replaced with loyalists, the ridding of the department of education, the attacks on LGBT rights, the continued assault on abortion and contraception access, and what seems to be a continuation of the push for more executive power and theocratic ideals.

I could give a damn less if the reds are aligned or not. 

People will suffer in multiple ways under this radical strategy. Even Trump knows that. That’s why he’s distancing himself from it. But I would bet my next paycheck and a Twix bar that The Heritage Foundation will get their way if Trump is elected. 

Well he said differently. You posted it from social truth. 

21 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Well he said differently. You posted it from social truth. 

Yea you’re right. Over the last 8 years we’ve all learned that Donald Trump is a man who speaks the truth. I should just trust him. 😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Leftfield said:

If Trump had just said he disagreed with some of their plan, that might have been believable. The fact he said he wasn't even aware of it made everything he said after complete garbage.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it...."

• Like 1

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/07/04/leader-of-the-pro-trump-project-2025-suggests-there-will-be-a-new-american-revolution-00166583

Leader of the pro-Trump Project 2025 suggests there will be a new American Revolution

Kevin Roberts said the revolution will be bloodless “if the left allows it to be.”

.... The 1,000-page Project 2025 playbook calls for far-reaching changes in government, including rolling back protections for the LGBTQ community and infusing Christianity more deeply into society.....

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/07/04/leader-of-the-pro-trump-project-2025-suggests-there-will-be-a-new-american-revolution-00166583

Leader of the pro-Trump Project 2025 suggests there will be a new American Revolution

Kevin Roberts said the revolution will be bloodless “if the left allows it to be.”

.... The 1,000-page Project 2025 playbook calls for far-reaching changes in government, including rolling back protections for the LGBTQ community and infusing Christianity more deeply into society.....

Seems like they’ve stolen most of their ideas from The Hunger Games.

Just now, auburnatl1 said:

Seems like they’ve stolen most of their ideas from The Hunger Games.

I was thinking The Handmaids Tale

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 8:08 AM, AuCivilEng1 said:

the Heritage Foundation runs the show in conservative politics

Nice. A different view. Most here, as well as elsewhere, say daily, weekly, whatever that Trump runs conservative politics. Not saying he wouldn't listen to think tank ideas, but that he'll ultimately make decisions.

BTW, he hasn't been elected nor am I convinced he will be. 

4 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Nice. A different view. Most here, as well as elsewhere, say daily, weekly, whatever that Trump runs conservative politics. Not saying he wouldn't listen to think tank ideas, but that he'll ultimately make decisions.

BTW, he hasn't been elected nor am I convinced he will be. 

IMO - Trump has no ideology. He simply craves attention and power. It’s how he switched parties so casually. To get those things he gives his base whatever it wants since policy is less important to him - in some ways both sides manipulate the other.

And because Trump is really without ideological convictions (does anyone think Trump really cares about religion?), it creates a vacuum for heritage and other to happily fill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

IMO - Trump has no ideology. He simply craves attention and power. It’s how he switched parties so casually. To get those things he gives his base whatever it wants since policy is less important to him - in some ways both sides manipulate the other.

And because Trump is really without ideological convictions (does anyone think Trump really cares about religion?), it creates a vacuum for heritage and other to happily fill.

With all his flaws, I always find it amusing how beloved he was in Democratic circles only to be turned on overnight by them once he ran as a Republican. 

5 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

With all his flaws, I always find it amusing how beloved he was in Democratic circles only to be turned on overnight by them once he ran as a Republican. 

He was a democrat only because the local NY politicians were democrats  and if you want commercial real estate  zoning favors, it matters.  IMO it wasn’t till they began to mock him (ie Obama) that he turned.

3 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

"Trump registered as a Republican in Manhattan in 1987; since that time, he has changed his party affiliation five times. In 1999, Trump changed his party affiliation to the Independence Party of New York. In August 2001, Trump changed his party affiliation to Democratic. In September 2009, Trump changed his party affiliation back to the Republican Party. In December 2011, Trump changed to "no party affiliation" (independent). In April 2012, Trump again returned to the Republican Party.[4]

In a 2004 interview, Trump told CNN's Wolf Blitzer: "In many cases, I probably identify more as Democrat", explaining: "It just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats than the Republicans. Now, it shouldn't be that way. But if you go back, I mean it just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats...But certainly we had some very good economies under Democrats, as well as Republicans. But we've had some pretty bad disaster under the Republicans."[5] In a July 2015 interview, Trump said that he has a broad range of political positions and that "I identify with some things as a Democrat."[4]".........

......Liberal economist and columnist Paul Krugman disputes that Trump is a populist, arguing that his policies favor the rich over those less well off.[27] Harvard Kennedy School political scientist Pippa Norris has described Trump as a "populist authoritarian" analogous to European parties such as the Swiss People's Party, Austrian Freedom Party, Swedish Democrats, and Danish People's Party.[28] Columnist Walter Shapiro and political commentator Jonathan Chait describe Trump as authoritarian.[29][30] Conservative commentator Mary Katharine Ham characterized Trump as a "casual authoritarian," saying "he is a candidate who has happily and proudly spurned the entire idea of limits on his power as an executive and doesn't have any interest in the Constitution and what it allows him to do and what [it] does not allow him to do. That is concerning for people who are interested in limited government."[31] Charles C. W. Cooke of the National Review has expressed similar views, terming Trump an "anti-constitutional authoritarian."[32] Libertarian journalist Nick Gillespie, by contrast, calls Trump "populist rather than an authoritarian".[33] Rich Benjamin refers to Trump and his ideology as fascist and a form of inverted totalitarianism.[34]

...."During the last week of his presidential term, Trump was reportedly considering founding a new political party and wanted to call it the Patriot Party.[18]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Donald_Trump

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

"Trump registered as a Republican in Manhattan in 1987; since that time, he has changed his party affiliation five times. In 1999, Trump changed his party affiliation to the Independence Party of New York. In August 2001, Trump changed his party affiliation to Democratic. In September 2009, Trump changed his party affiliation back to the Republican Party. In December 2011, Trump changed to "no party affiliation" (independent). In April 2012, Trump again returned to the Republican Party.[4]

In a 2004 interview, Trump told CNN's Wolf Blitzer: "In many cases, I probably identify more as Democrat", explaining: "It just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats than the Republicans. Now, it shouldn't be that way. But if you go back, I mean it just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats...But certainly we had some very good economies under Democrats, as well as Republicans. But we've had some pretty bad disaster under the Republicans."[5] In a July 2015 interview, Trump said that he has a broad range of political positions and that "I identify with some things as a Democrat."[4]".........

......Liberal economist and columnist Paul Krugman disputes that Trump is a populist, arguing that his policies favor the rich over those less well off.[27] Harvard Kennedy School political scientist Pippa Norris has described Trump as a "populist authoritarian" analogous to European parties such as the Swiss People's Party, Austrian Freedom Party, Swedish Democrats, and Danish People's Party.[28] Columnist Walter Shapiro and political commentator Jonathan Chait describe Trump as authoritarian.[29][30] Conservative commentator Mary Katharine Ham characterized Trump as a "casual authoritarian," saying "he is a candidate who has happily and proudly spurned the entire idea of limits on his power as an executive and doesn't have any interest in the Constitution and what it allows him to do and what [it] does not allow him to do. That is concerning for people who are interested in limited government."[31] Charles C. W. Cooke of the National Review has expressed similar views, terming Trump an "anti-constitutional authoritarian."[32] Libertarian journalist Nick Gillespie, by contrast, calls Trump "populist rather than an authoritarian".[33] Rich Benjamin refers to Trump and his ideology as fascist and a form of inverted totalitarianism.[34]

...."During the last week of his presidential term, Trump was reportedly considering founding a new political party and wanted to call it the Patriot Party.[18]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Donald_Trump

The key to understanding Trump is to recognize that he has no real principles beyond self benefit.

There was no real policy beyond cutting regulations, cutting taxes, and approving judges in the first term. With regard to the judges, he completely farmed that out to the Federalist Society.  Thankfully they got little else done because there were no core objectives.

The Heritage Foundation people have now recognized this, and set out a list of goals for him. 

You can bet your bottom dollar that much of their weird-ass policy will be implemented if he gets back in

• Like 2

On 7/7/2024 at 9:04 AM, auburnatl1 said:

(does anyone think Trump really cares about religion?)

I'll never forget this scene:

Trump standing outside a church, holding the Bible. 

Reporter: "Is that your Bible?"

Pause

Trump: "It's A Bible."

End scene

If it weren't all so depressing, it would be hilarious. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, alanevans said:

The key to understanding Trump is to recognize that he has no real principles beyond self benefit.

There was no real policy beyond cutting regulations, cutting taxes, and approving judges in the first term. With regard to the judges, he completely farmed that out to the Federalist Society.  Thankfully they got little else done because there were no core objectives.

The Heritage Foundation people have now recognized this, and set out a list of goals for him. 

You can bet your bottom dollar that much of their weird-ass policy will be implemented if he gets back in

This is my biggest fear about the next 4 years. Trump's saving grace has always been that he doesn't actually believe in anything or care about any of these policies, other than how they can help him get more power and attention. 

If the Heritage Foundation has figured out how to manipulate Trump to push their deranged agenda, we might be in big trouble. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, cbo said:

This is my biggest fear about the next 4 years. Trump's saving grace has always been that he doesn't actually believe in anything or care about any of these policies, other than how they can help him get more power and attention. 

If the Heritage Foundation has figured out how to manipulate Trump to push their deranged agenda, we might be in big trouble. 

The further it goes to the right, the further it’ll swing to the left in 4 years.  It’s a physics balancing act.

If one of the parties doesn’t produce a semblance of a moderate to stabilize this, these crazy bipolar swings are never ending and as predictable as gravity.

Edited by auburnatl1

On 7/7/2024 at 5:48 PM, AUFAN78 said:

“Beloved.” 🤣 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

The further it goes to the right, the further it’ll swing to the left in 4 years.  It’s a physics balancing act.

If one of the parties doesn’t produce a semblance of a moderate to stabilize this, these crazy bipolar swings are never ending and as predictable as gravity.

You might be right.

But the Dem's have become so weak and ineffective, I'm not sure they can swing back from a fully clicking Heritage Foundation. The only thing I admire about the Republicans is that they are fully committed and going in hard.

Meanwhile, Hillary runs the laziest campaign ever, followed by Biden running on "I'm not Trump." When he won, liberals said things like, "won't it be nice to not have to worry about our government for a while." As if electing Biden solved all of the country's problems. Cut to 4 years later and we're dragging a corpse onto the debate stage like it's Weekend at Bernie's II. 

It's probably because I am far left but it feels like the country is moving right even during the Biden administration. Granted, much of that is local government and I'm in a very conservative state. But overturning Roe v Wade seems more substantial than anything Biden has accomplished. 

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

So are you agreeing that Trump is beholden to Heritage Foundation and agree that the pendulum is to far left? 

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4753684-heritage-foundation-project-2025/

Biden’s campaign and Democrats have seized on Project 2025 to take aim at Trump

25 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

So are you agreeing that Trump is beholden to Heritage Foundation and agree that the pendulum is to far left? 

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4753684-heritage-foundation-project-2025/

Biden’s campaign and Democrats have seized on Project 2025 to take aim at Trump

I disagree with the border, student loan , ect.  Most moderates do.  Too far left on several things.

However,  maga doing another 4 year adolescent food fight isn’t the solution. A grown up in the middle is.

19 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I disagree with the border, student loan , ect.  Most moderates do.  Too far left on several things.

However,  maga doing another 4 year adolescent food fight isn’t the solution. A grown up in the middle is.

Maga hasn’t agreed with the border or student loan forgiveness. Supposing you mean Trump by “food fight”. Do you believe he  will adopt the Heritage project?

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Maga hasn’t agreed with the border or student loan forgiveness. Supposing you mean Trump by “food fight”. Do you believe he  will adopt the Heritage project?

If it serves trump in some way - why not?

14 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

If it serves trump in some way - why not?

Sure he will be informed of parts or some variation that would serve him. Any candidate would.