Most underrated or under appreciated Auburn players

1) Sean White - I know he made his fair share of mistakes but can you imagine 15 and 16 if Auburn has to rely on JJ, JF3, and Jonathan Wallace?  Gus doesn’t survive 16.  Some may say that’s what should have happened anyway.

2) Eli Stove - One of the most solid WRs during the Gus era

3) Darvin Adams - Only reason I say Darvin is because he’s not mentioned very often.  He caught everything and was one of Cam’s favorite targets.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

At least for this century, any answer besides Lee Ziemba and Ryan Pugh is wrong…pretty much every one on that offense who wasn’t Cam is usually regarded as Sun Belt caliber. If Cam stays in 2011 we’re certainly better, but still likely 9-3 at best.

Edited by AUwent

Disagreed with Sean White. Next to JJ and Frazier, most overrated QB ever at AU.

Agreed with Darvin Adams. IMO, next to Frank Sanders, best WR I ever watched at AU. He was so good, I still am dumbfounded he alligatored the pass on 3rd & 17 against Oregon on the 1st drive of the game. He catches it and he’s gone. It would have been an emphatic statement to open the game and might have led to a comfortable win. Instead, we battled till the ass-clinching end.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

At least for this century, any answer besides Lee Ziemba and Ryan Pugh is wrong…pretty much every one on that offense who wasn’t Cam is usually regarded as Sun Belt caliber. If Cam stays in 2011 we’re certainly better, but still likely 9-3 at best.

Not me. Ziemba, Pugh, Berry, Isom and Mosley were all THE reason Cam chose AU over Mullen. Well that and 180,000 smackeroos.

Most underrated - WR Thomas Bailey (91-94). Caught everything, including 4th & 10 on the final drive at The Swamp with the noise level beyond insane. Caught a ridiculous 3rd & 10 full layout plus an over the shoulder TD, both on the 1st drive. Year after year, maintained a high yards per punt return average. I believe he led the Nation in 92, including one TD return against Ole Miss.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Viper said:

Not me. Ziemba, Pugh, Berry, Isom and Mosley were all THE reason Cam chose AU over Mullen. Well that and 180,000 smackeroos.

I’m more talking about outside our fanbase. Since the NFL draft/playing time is basically the metric used for how talented certain players are, the rest of the team aside from Nick is often regarded as the sisters of the poor. I do think Ziemba at least deserved a higher draft placement. 🤷‍♂️ 

21 hours ago, Win4AU said:

1) Sean White - I know he made his fair share of mistakes but can you imagine 15 and 16 if Auburn has to rely on JJ, JF3, and Jonathan Wallace?  Gus doesn’t survive 16.  Some may say that’s what should have happened anyway.

2) Eli Stove - One of the most solid WRs during the Gus era

3) Darvin Adams - Only reason I say Darvin is because he’s not mentioned very often.  He caught everything and was one of Cam’s favorite targets.  

Stove was a good one, without the injury maybe great.

He never seemed to get his speed back fully after recovery.

Emory Blake is a name that always comes to mind. Auburn has rarely seen a four year receiver with his levels of contribution. No drama and a mostly healthy career. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Viper said:

The allegation was that Miss State offered the Newtons that money, not AU. So they couldn't even pay him to go there!

• Like 1

There is not a time frame but I can think of Dan Sanspree, Mike Neal, Thomas Gossum, George Peoples(sp) and William Andrews

21 hours ago, AUwent said:

I’m more talking about outside our fanbase. Since the NFL draft/playing time is basically the metric used for how talented certain players are, the rest of the team aside from Nick is often regarded as the sisters of the poor. I do think Ziemba at least deserved a higher draft placement. 🤷‍♂️ 

Wasn’t a high round pick amongst them. It was the sum of the parts that made them a great O-Line.

7 hours ago, phillyeagle said:

The allegation was that Miss State offered the Newtons that money, not AU. So they couldn't even pay him to go there!

Not according to Dan and Megan.

Posted (edited)

The following list is my opinion and my opinion only. If you disagree, cool. 

Brandon Johnson- Dude was just amazingly hardnosed. I loved his attitude on the field.

Rudi Johnson- I feel like he single handedly resurrected Auburn football in his first game on the Plains v Wyoming. I think he’s still dragging some Cowboy defenders through the end zone as we speak.

Jeris McIntyre- I love this dude. Maybe revisionist, but he always seemed to make a play when it was needed.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 3

My favorite tiger, Courtney Taylor. The dude was a beast. He was physically strong, sure-handed, and a straight-up athlete. I mean, WR wasn't even his natural position, and he was able to get drafted after deciding to convert while in college.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

My favorite tiger, Courtney Taylor. The dude was a beast. He was physically strong, sure-handed, and a straight-up athlete. I mean, WR wasn't even his natural position, and he was able to get drafted after deciding to convert while in college.

Dude was tough as boot leather.

I loved CT.

• Like 2

1.  Tommie Agee- 4 year starter at Fullback with the heart of a champion.  The epitome of a team player.

2.  Thomas Bailey- I echo a previous statement someone made about him 

3.  James Joseph- Quietly one of the most versatile players of the Pat Dye era. He could switch from fullback to tailback at any point and was a great receiver out of the backfield.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

MIckey Zofko and Wallace Clark were a good backfield tandem rightly overshadowed by Pat Sullivan.  Tim Christian was followed by Terry Beasley or he would be more appreciated.  Joe Frazier gave Auburn everything he had.

1 hour ago, HAPvsOA said:

Can you name these Tigers? 

image.png

image.png

image.png

Without looking it up…

1st one is Karsten Bailey. Loved his over the middle, catch and sprint v GA 97.

2nd one is Rudi, Rudi, Rudi.

3rd one is Darvin Adams. Damn he needed just one more catch in 09 and two more in 10.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Most underrated 

Brandon Johnson ..blocked for Cadillac and Brown...

Most under appreciated another Brandon 

Cox

• Like 2

Corey Lemonier - we win the natty with him in 2013 if he doesn't declare early. Him and Dee Ford together??? Sack city

speaking of under appreciated edge rushers: Jeff Holland was a beast that seems to be forgotten

Mark Brown - the MLB prior to Travis Williams that anchored the OLB freaks we had in Karlos Dansby and Dontarrious Thomas

Ben Leard - never seen a QB go from struggling so badly to being an asset

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Corey Lemonier - we win the natty with him in 2013 if he doesn't declare early. Him and Dee Ford together??? Sack city

speaking of under appreciated edge rushers: Jeff Holland was a beast that seems to be forgotten

Mark Brown - the MLB prior to Travis Williams that anchored the OLB freaks we had in Karlos Dansby and Dontarrious Thomas

Jay Ratliff. Our only 2x First team all pro not named Willie Anderson or Kevin Greene in Auburn history. Gets extremely overshadowed. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Great choices and explanations!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

If I remember correctly the only games Auburn lost in Tubs first year were the ones Leard was hurt and the Iron Bowl.  If Leard doesn’t go down then Tubs could have possibly had a 8-9 win first year.  

• Like 3

On 7/10/2024 at 9:53 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Jay Ratliff. Our only 2x First team all pro not named Willie Anderson or Kevin Greene in Auburn history. Gets extremely overshadowed. 

Great choice right here

• Thanks 1