Alex Mcpherson gastro intestional issue

Alex McPherson 'battling' health issue, Hugh Freeze optimistic on season availability

Justin Hokanson

ALEXANDER CITY, Ala. — Returning starting kicker Alex McPherson is probable to play this season, but is battling a health issue, head coach Hugh Freeze confirmed on Tuesday night at a speaking engagement.

“Alex McPherson is battling an issue that, it’s a weird issue and I really don’t want to go into that. He’s battling one. I think he’ll be OK,” Freeze said.

Sources have told Auburn Live this summer that McPherson has lost quite a bit of weight, but has been responding well to medicine lately and there is optimism around McPherson’s immediate outlook. Freeze confirmed some of that and commented further on McPherson’s status when asked for more clarity.

“I do,” Freeze said of whether or not he expects McPherson to play this season. “It’s not an injury, he’s battling a health issue that’s taken a while to get diagnosed. It has to do with gastrointestinal, and I think they are on the path to being on the right track.”

The 5-foot-9, 165-pound sophomore was 2-3 on field goals to finish the 2022 season after taking over for Anders Carlson, and was 13-13 on field goals last fall during his first full season. His current string of 19 straight made field goals is a school record. McPherson was a Lou Groza Award semifinalist. McPherson was named SEC all-freshman team and earned multiple freshman All-American honors

Get some local honey, chop up one clove of garlic, put both in a tablespoon and eat for 7 days straight first thing each morning and he'll be fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Oh my goodness. I mean, Auburn has become Kicker U with a luxury of great ones. I just feel sorry for the kid. It's one thing to suffer some sort of physical injury related to your sport, but other sorts of medical difficulties -- wishing him a speedy and complete recovery!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AURex said:

Oh my goodness. I mean, Auburn has become Kicker U with a luxury of great ones. I just feel sorry for the kid. It's one thing to suffer some sort of physical injury related to your sport, but other sorts of medical difficulties -- wishing him a speedy and complete recovery!

Had our share of great ones going back to Shug. Horrible news and you are correct. Worrisome when not sports related.

How much weigh can he lose?  

Posted (edited)

I'm not going to doom and gloom this young man.    He can take this.  whatever it is.    Modern meds can do wonders for just about anything if you are young,  and  otherwise healthy. 

He is still a pup.  Likely more healthy than any of us on this board.  He has probably maintained a  specific diet or "healthier diet" than most for years.   Lives in a routine,  Works cardio  etc.

YOU GOT THIS ALEX.  BEAT IT DOWN!

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

It sounds like a crappy situation, but hopefully he recovers soon! NO FUN!

14 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

How much weigh can he lose?  

How much can THAT LEG lose? hahaha

Hoping that young man recovers and thrives.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

Get some local honey, chop up one clove of garlic, put both in a tablespoon and eat for 7 days straight first thing each morning and he'll be fine. 

That is an amazing diagnosis. You must have much more information than what has been put out by media. Got anything for bad heel? Lol

Edited by Hank2020
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Hmmm Crohn’s sucks.

Maybe Ulcerative Colitis. My oldest son has been dealing with it for at least ten years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Maybe Ulcerative Colitis. My oldest son has been dealing with it for at least ten years.

Let’s hope for something less severe than either of these diagnoses.  Let’s also keep Alex in our prayers. War Eagle. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2024 at 8:02 AM, Hank2020 said:

That is an amazing diagnosis. You must have much more information than what has been put out by media. Got anything for bad heel? Lol

You are about as funny as a cry for help! 

2 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

You are about as funny as a cry for help! 

Ha!!! We are in a race!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2024 at 7:46 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

A horrible condition I've dealt with for years.  Once I finally converted to a strict diabetic diet cutting out bread/pasta/rice/fructose and complex carbs, it took about a month to get my gut straightened out, but it is worth it.  

Hopefully this young man isn't dealing with UC or Crohn's.  

22 hours ago, au701948 said:

Anyone have legit updates on Alex health and status?

• Sad 1