Earliest Cat5 hurricane 🌀 on record!

I'm just in awe of this ...

20240701_234058.thumb.jpg.6fc931e29af34faa67d169dc7fd0be44.jpg

Screenshot_20240701_234009_X.thumb.jpg.0facfe840586d6bf9336420f5777c0c0.jpg

For those that haven't followed, this storm has been breaking records to coincide with the 2-3 month advance on water temps.  Basically we are seeing September level activity before July 4th!!  Those in the Gulf, keep a close eye.  Personally I think it misses the Yucatan or barely clips.  If it does miss, it's curling north.  Should experience some shear and weaken some but this thing has been resilient and quickly reformed several times, getting stronger every time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Previous record on Cat 5 below.  Notice the year 2005 (Katrina and Rita year) and the date of July 16th. 15 days earlier. 

20240701_235144.jpg

Cat 5 everyone should be in awe...........I've already got my hurricane supplies for the summer

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I'm just in awe of this ...

20240701_234058.thumb.jpg.6fc931e29af34faa67d169dc7fd0be44.jpg

Screenshot_20240701_234009_X.thumb.jpg.0facfe840586d6bf9336420f5777c0c0.jpg

For those that haven't followed, this storm has been breaking records to coincide with the 2-3 month advance on water temps.  Basically we are seeing September level activity before July 4th!!  Those in the Gulf, keep a close eye.  Personally I think it misses the Yucatan or barely clips.  If it does miss, it's curling north.  Should experience some shear and weaken some but this thing has been resilient and quickly reformed several times, getting stronger every time. 

Been keeping up and looks like a bear. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Cat 5 everyone should be in awe...........I've already got my hurricane supplies for the summer

Don’t forget the beer. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Don’t forget the beer. 

Year supply always on hand

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Been keeping up and looks like a bear. 

You know first hand how quickly these things can get nasty, with Michael and all

19 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

You know first hand how quickly these things can get nasty, with Michael and all

Sure do and wouldn’t wish the aftermath on anyone. Recall evacuating Mexico Beach for Auburn. We spent an afternoon battening down everything we could. Had some white PVC fencing and the gates were a pain in the end. Remember thinking  to myself that I hoped they would blow away. Got my wish, never saw another sign of gates or fencing. 

We actually came out damage wise in better shape than most folks. Newer construction on piers and a couple of blocks off the beach. Our lower level entrance area was at 13 feet above sea level and we had 1 foot of surge. Still a lot of damage. Dealing with insurance is a long drawn out war and really wears on people. I did hire a public adjuster to assist but if had to do it again would hand everything over to a seasoned lawyer.

• Like 2

TS Beryl now... headed for Texas as a possible Cat 1 

• Like 1

Houston got a sneak peek at the worst-case scenario for the path of a major storm. Made landfall just SW of greater Houston and tracked NNE, putting the vast majority of the metro area on the dirty side for several hours. If this thing had been a Cat 3-4 following this same track, this place would be shut down for a couple of weeks. It's bad enough as it is.

We were on the Dirty side for sure. Seemed like it was stronger than what you think a Category 1 would be!

Lots of trees and fences blown over but the flooding wasn't too bad. 

Many people still without power 

7 hours ago, AUTime said:

We were on the Dirty side for sure. Seemed like it was stronger than what you think a Category 1 would be!

Lots of trees and fences blown over but the flooding wasn't too bad. 

Many people still without power 

Raises hand...

We dealt with it for a couple of days, but then got a hotel room for a couple of days. When we left this morning, it was 82 degrees downstairs and probably 86-87 upstairs. I'm not looking forward to cleaning out the fridge. Centerpoint got caught with their proverbial pants down on this one, and John Whitmire was right to call them out on it.

We didn't flood at all, or even come close to it. Wind impact was broader and more severe than expected for sure.

2 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

Raises hand...

We dealt with it for a couple of days, but then got a hotel room for a couple of days. When we left this morning, it was 82 degrees downstairs and probably 86-87 upstairs. I'm not looking forward to cleaning out the fridge. Centerpoint got caught with their proverbial pants down on this one, and John Whitmire was right to call them out on it.

We didn't flood at all, or even come close to it. Wind impact was broader and more severe than expected for sure.

I see Alabama Power came to LaPorte (East of Houston) and in no time the Power was back on!!!!!!!!

Awesome!!

May be an image of ambulance and text that says 'EMERGENCYMANACEMENT EMERGENCYMANAGEMENT 武言 Alabama Power'

Edited by AUTime
Small change of wording

Glad you got power back quickly... doesn't look that way here, but I am about 10-15 miles east of where the right-side eyewall passed. Fort Bend County got punched pretty hard by this one, and it doesn't help that I live in a neighborhood that has (had) a lot of older trees, too.

Our location on the CenterPoint outage map is at "assessment complete", which doesn't mean much. I'm counting on a few more days off the grid.