6.27.24 Football Articles

si.com

Auburn Tigers Looking to Turn a Strength Into a Superpower

Auburn Daily Staff

~4 minutes

It certainly doesn't require a deep dive into the Auburn Tigers edge rushing room to quickly ascertain that it's quickly becoming a position of relative strength.

5-star Amaris Williams was the headliner of an edge class in 2024 that also included Jamonta Waller and 6'2, 250-pound linebacker Joe Phillips among others.

Jakaleb Faulk is the second-highest rated recruit in Auburn's current top-10 recruiting class according to 247Sports.

Having said that, stockpiling guys who can get after the kind of multi-threat quarterbacks they will face this season, would indeed be a peachy scenario. One interesting recruit who might provide just that further injection of dynamic pass rushing ability is linebacker CJ May, from Highland Home High School (Ala.)

May is teammates with Faulk and backed out of a verbal commitment to join Notre Dame back in February, and it sure sounded like the 4-Star recruit was looking to stay a bit closer to home than South Bend, Ind.

"I am from Alabama. I am in the country and I have to find the best place for me," May told On3's Chad Simmons. "When I make my decision , it has to be a place I can be happy at and live at for the next 3 - 4 years, so that is what I am looking for now."

Thankfully for Auburn, May included the Tigers on his final list of four programs he will be giving serious consideration to joining, via his own social media account.

Final 4‼️ Where’s home⁉️🏡 @SquadronFB @AllGasDrRush @ALLGASTRNG @ALLGASATHLETES #Final4 pic.twitter.com/6w52DTSCIU

— CJ “Slim Reaper🃏” MAY (@CJMAY0) June 24, 2024

Amongst the quartet which May name checked, there was of course the Tigers, but also Louisville, Syracuse and Washington. Furthermore the 145th ranking recruit in this cycle, according to 247Sports, also has previous offers from Georgia, Texas A&M and Ole Miss currently sitting in his inbox.

Auburn might need to do some more intensive hands on recruitment work with May if they really want him, that's because he appeared to be leaning towards what the Louisville Cardinals  had to offer him previously.

"I have been building a relationship with the staff for over a year now, and it gone very well," May informed the Louisville Report after completing his official visit. "We talk a little bit of everything. It's bigger than just football. They call me and my parents multiple times weekly just to check in and see how we are doing. We obviously talk football, and where I fit into the future of Louisville Football." 

Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze has been chasing down some of the top in-state talent with the same relish that May pursued quarterbacks last year at Highland Home. While playing as a junior, May registered 7.5 sacks and had a nifty10 tackles for loss - he also added two forced fumbles to go with an interception return for a touchdown.

If May liked the personal touch the Cardinals previously afforded him, then it's highly likely that Freeze will also be well aware of what appeals to the talented youngster during the recruitment drive.

Even if it was to flame out, Auburn can already count on an edge unit which happens to rank as a consensus top-10 group in the country. Therefore, Freeze and Co. can pretty much take a free swing for the fences if they come to sell May on their vision, and all the time safe in the knowledge that they have a secure safety net already in place.

athlonsports.com

Auburn Recruiting Notes

Brian Smith

~2 minutes

Home

Auburn Daily

Recruiting

It's a critical stretch for Auburn's recruiting efforts

In this story:

Auburn Tigers

The next few weeks will be major factors for how well the 2025 Auburn recruiting class finishes.

There will not only be several prospects mulling college choices that end up being publicly announced but also recruits deciding to hold off on making a decision. The latter point is of particular interest with one specific Auburn target.

The Tigers do not appear to be trending with talented edge rusher Herbert Scroggins any longer. An edge defender from Savannah (Ga.) Benedictine Military School, he is coming off an official visit to Miami that went extremely well. At one point, Scroggins would be likely to announce for Auburn. Intel suggests Scroggins' interest is shifting.

The key for Auburn is to stay in the game. Sometimes recruits have a recruiting visit euphoria that wears off in a few days. Still, Miami is a true threat and Scroggins is not the sure-fire pick to be a Tiger like he probably was prior to visiting the Canes.

On a more positive note, Jared Smith is reportedly taking a hard look at Auburn. At one point this spring that may not have been the best way to define Smith's interest in Auburn. The Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson defensive end is one of the top prospects inside the state. Until just recently, any one of South Carolina, Georgia, Florida State, Ole Miss, and Southern California, among others, would have been a more likely landing spot.

If Smith comes to Auburn's Big Cat Weekend at the end of July, it will help fortify the notion that the Tigers are on the rise in his recruitment. There's still a long way to go and he might not decide until National Signing Day in December.

auburntigers.com

On The Plains with Luke Deal: 'No time like the present'

Luke DealTight End

6–8 minutes

AUBURN, Ala. – Tight end Luke Deal’s sixth preseason camp on the Plains will be unlike any other. 

Luke and his wife, Ansley York Deal, are eagerly awaiting the arrival of their first child, due in August. 

“We’re having a boy and we’ve already got his name picked out,” Deal said. “It’ll be Christopher James after my dad, and we’re going to call him C.J.”

Deal lost his beloved father Chris after a short battle with ALS in June 2022. 

“I like nicknames and I think my dad would be very proud of that,” Deal said. “C.J. is going to be born right in the middle of fall camp – we didn’t plan that out too well. But there’s no time like the present. We’re really excited and blessed to have a healthy baby so far. There will be a lot of juggling around, but we’ll do the best we can.”

Luke met Ansley, an apparel merchandising major, soon after he arrived in Auburn in 2019. They were married in the summer of 2022.

“She was and still is everything I’ve ever hoped for,” Deal said. “She’s from Auburn, so that has made this place even more special to me.”

Ironically, the ultimate Auburn man didn’t know much about the Tigers until the recruiting process.

“I grew up in South Carolina (Greenwood), so I never really understood what Auburn was and never really thought about it,” Deal said. “But when I got here, it just felt like family to me.”

And it’s that family atmosphere that has kept Deal grounded in Auburn for the past five-plus years. 

One of the longest-tenured team members, Deal is ready to fully embrace his final season on the Plains as long as he and the team reach the goals they’ve put in place. 

“Every time we run out on the field, I think of all the people that went before us,” Deal said. “It’s super special to me. That mixed in with the fact that I haven’t won nearly enough games for our standard – I’m going to keep coming back until we achieve that standard, or they literally kick me out.”

AUBURN, AL - September 16, 2023 - Auburn Tight End Luke Deal (#86) during the game between the Samford Bulldogs and the Auburn Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL. Photo By Austin Perryman

Deal arrived on campus in January 2019 and is the last man standing from that incoming class. That hasn’t deterred him from growing closer to his teammates, both old and new. 

“I think I’m the only one left from when I first came to Auburn,” Deal said. “And through all that change, I’ve continued to build relationships with all these guys and have worked really hard to get better. Anyone who has played a collegiate sport knows how much time you have to put in with the teammates around you.”

From coaching changes to rotating teammates and to all the work put in on and off the field, Deal is ready to put that all together in his final season to guide the Tigers to an incredible year.

“I think it would give me a lot of closure,” Deal said. “It would just be really rewarding. We’ve seen other teams get that kind of success, and to feel that is what I’m wanting to experience this year. To be rewarded for the hard work and dedication.”

Auburn people love this place, and we can feel that love. The passion and the intensity every time you step on the field no matter who we are playing – it’s pretty cool.

A big part of what the 2023 team captain hopes to bring to the table in his final season is leadership. As he continues to grow in that role, he looks to the past to build his leadership skills. 

“I learned a lot of my leadership style from other people,” Deal said. “I think of the older guys that were here when I first arrived like Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson, Daniel Thomas and Jeremiah Dinson. Those were all great guys who had a lot of influence on me. What I’ve learned from them and others is that it’s about relationships.” 

As the years have passed, he continues to grow and learn how to be the best leader for the Tigers. 

“My parents always told me that I was a born leader,” Deal said. “One thing I’ve learned being here is that if people don’t respect me, then those leadership skills don’t matter. I think the biggest role I can play is getting to know everyone and what’s going on in their life – to be there for them through the good and bad and just be genuine. 

“I’ve gotten more vocal over the years because I truly want the guys around me to trust and respect me. I was able to do that by being genuine with them and showing them that I cared.”

Looking ahead to the fall, Deal is ready to once again get in front of the Auburn Family in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

“I’ve been to a bunch of really, really cool stadiums that had some really cool fanbases,” Deal said. “I do love going to away games. But there is just a different feeling here. Yes, it’s the loudest in my opinion. Yes, it’s the craziest. But the biggest thing is that it all feels genuine. Our fans truly love Auburn.” 

It’s the fanbase that has really made a difference during Deal’s time on the field here at Auburn.

“I’ve seen us not make a bowl game and lose games in some crazy ways,” Deal said. “But no matter what, the fans are the same. Auburn people love this place, and we can feel that love. The passion and the intensity every time you step on the field no matter who we are playing – it’s pretty cool.”

Auburn has become that special place for Deal as he’s gone through so many big life moments while on the Plains. 

In the classroom, the five-time SEC academic honor roll honoree earned his degree in political science from the College of Liberal Arts in May 2022, and finished up his master’s degree from the College of Education in December 2023. 

The Plains have become such a special place for the kid from Greenwood, South Carolina. He has taken root here where so much life has happened over the past five years. With dreams of continuing his football career, his dreams also include the university that has given him so much. 

“I would love to make an NFL team,” Deal said. “That is the ultimate goal. After my playing career is over, however, my dream job would be here in Auburn as a strength coach. We’ve placed our roots here in Auburn, and we know that we will always be able to come back after the NFL. That is our dream.”

AUBURN, AL - March 19, 2024 - Auburn Tight End Luke Deal (#86) during spring practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL. Photo by Austin Perryman

al.com

Four-star recruit decommits from Auburn

Updated: Jun. 26, 2024, 9:10 p.m.|Published: Jun. 26, 2024, 1:22 p.m.

~2 minutes

Auburn Football

Carde Smith, four-star in-state offensive lineman decommits from Auburn

After committing to Auburn on April 10, 4-star offensive lineman Carde Smith has backed off his pledge to the Tigers.

“After days of deeps thought and prayer I have decided to decommit from Auburn University,” Smith wrote in a post to X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter. “This was a very hard decision for me and my family. I would like to thank the entire Auburn coaching staff for the time, effort, and energy that they put into recruiting me.”

Smith, who measures 6-foot-5 and 293 pounds, ranks as the No. 15 prospect in the state of Alabama and the No. 26 offensive tackle in the class of 2025, according to 247Sports.

At the time of Smith’s commitment in April, the Mobile native chose Auburn over the likes of Florida State and Mississippi State. As of late, USC has come into play in Smith’s recruitment, with Smith having recently made a trip out to Los Angeles last weekend.

Smith holds more than two dozen offers heading into his senior year of high school.

Despite Smith backing off his pledge, Auburn’s 2025 class still has 15 commits, of which four are offensive linemen. Hugh Freeze and the Tigers’ 2025 class ranks No. 6 in country by 247Sports.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Thanks Fifty!!!

• Like 1

247sports.com

Why Miles Kelly can be one of our best guards at Auburn

Nathan King

6–7 minutes

An even playing field in college athletics?

New transfer rules make it possible to rebuild rosters in all sports faster than ever, but have they really evened the playing field? I'm not so sure. Texas has hired baseball coach Jim Scholssnagle away from national runnerup Texas A&M. How much did it cost to get him to agree to go from hero to villain at Texas A&M? A lot, no doubt. How many other programs could even consider such a move? Not many.

Texas has so much money that it can go after coaches like that for a sport that makes little if any money. While most athletics directors are fretting over how to pay the bills that are to come, Texas is one of a small handful that is willing to do whatever it takes to compete for championships in any sport and has the money to do it.

Scholssnagle made himself look terrible, and for that he has no one to blame but himself. Here is what Scholssnagle said when asked about Texas after Monday's game:

"I think it's pretty selfish of you to ask me that question, to be honest with you. I left my family to be the coach at Texas A&M. I took the job at Texas A&M to never take another job again. And that hasn't changed, in my mind. That's unfair to talk about something like that. … I understand you got to ask the question, but I gave up a big part of my life to come take this job and I've poured every ounce of my soul in this job and I've given this job every single ounce I can possibly give it. Write that."

Lots of Texas A&M folks believed those words meant Scholssnagle wasn't going anywhere. In truth, there was not a word of denial in those words. He was already out the door.

Scholssnagle is not the first to express his love and then leave. We all remember Tommy Tuberville and his pine box. Nick Saban said, "I'm not going to be the coach at Alabama," and was soon the coach at Alabama. But for the A&M coach to leave for the hated rival. That's different.

Will Texas try to bully the SEC?

The SEC has taken on a different animal in Texas. People who know say no program is more arrogant. That showed in the heavy-handed way it dealt with other members of the Big 12. That arrogance led Texas A&M to bolt for the SEC and to, behind the scenes, vociferously protest Teas being invited to join. The snatching of Jim Scholssnagle the day after the College World Series is just another example.

Texas is accustomed to being the bully in the room that can dictate to others. That's not going to happen in the SEC. How will Texas respond to that reality?

Transfer portal and A&M baseball players

Because the head coach left, A&M baseball players are free to enter the transfer portal. How many, if any, will do it? The other 15 coaches in the league will be watching and will be ready to pounce.

Who cares about video game rankings?

The Twitter frenzy over how a video game ranks the toughest venues in college football amazes me. Has whoever made the decision to rank Jordan-Hare Stadium No. 14 ever been on the Auburn campus?

I'm not going to dignify yet another quest for clicks by going down the list. My question is why anybody cares.

Coaching staffs about to grow larger

The NCAA Division I Council has approved a rule change that will allow analysts to coach during practice and games. It is going to be very interesting to see where that leads. I wouldn't expect a rush to hire more analysts. Too much financial uncertainty remains.

Most people believe the result will end up being programs having two coaches for every position. Somebody might go further than that, but I don't know that would be gaining much of an advantage. Most programs already have an analyst for every position. That analyst will become a coach.

That might not be a good thing for Group of 5 coaches who already deal with a talent drain in players and coaches.

"It's going to create more unintended consequences," Memphis head coach Ryan Silverfield said. "You're going to see blueblood programs taking more coaches in the Group of 5. If you're a MAC wide receivers coach making $80,000 and Michigan will pay you $150,000 to be on the field and you don't have to go on the road recruiting, get to be with your family, a lot of guys are going to do it."

Marijuana is off the NCAA list of dangerous drugs

The council also voted to stop testing players for marijuana at postseason events. That is a long overdue decision. No matter what you think of marijuana and whether it should be legalized, it is not a performance-enhancer.

The truth is that, within a few years, it will likely be legal everywhere. The sad thing is that, over the years, lots of people spent time in prison just for possessing it. Lots of players were punished because of it and even saw their careers ended.

Why coaches leaving is different

It's typical these days that, when a coach leaves, the bellowing starts comparing that to players leaving. Here is the difference: Coaches have contracts. In those contracts are provisions that they will have to pay buyouts if they leave. When those buyouts are paid, coaches have fulfilled the terms of their contracts.

Do any of the so-called student-athlete advocates out there want players to have contracts that require buyouts be paid if they leave? Of course they don't.

Proposed settlement's unintended consequences

If the House case settlement is approved, the $22 million programs will be allowed to spend won't be the financial windfall for players that some believe.

The money won't all go to football or to football and men's basketball. Not even close. It will go to all sports. Fully half of it might have to go to women's sports because of Title IX. A handful of players might make lots of money from that pool. Most won't. Many programs, probably most outside of the Power 4, won't spend anywhere close to $22 million.

NIL will still be a thing, but collectives won't likely exist in their current form. Every decision that is made in this sordid mess creates a problem somewhere else.